Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
bAZFqWB.jpg

e9HrKGZ.jpg

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
New Batman/Superman Series Coming Out Of Batman Who Laughs Mini-Series
The project from David Marquez and Josh Williamson sees six heroes turning bad, but not all of them even know it's happening to them.
ZKYnGAi.jpg

The Batman Who Laughs isn’t finished playing with DC’s superheroes yet.

This alternate reality version of Batman was first introduced in the successful comic book miniseries Dark Nights: Metal as a Batman who has become transformed into an immoral villain through exposure to Joker toxin. Not only will this version of Bruce Wayne continue to terrorize the DC Universe with a previously unannounced extension to his current miniseries, but he’ll also be the threat at the center of an all-new Batman and Superman team-up comic book series launching in August.
Scott Snyder and Jock’s The Batman Who Laughs series will now run seven issues instead of six, leading into the new Batman/Superman title created by Josh Williamson (The Flash, Justice League/Suicide Squad) and David Marquez (Marvel’s Civil War II, Avengers), with the latter making his DC debut on the title.

“We discover, through the Batman Who Laughs series that the Batman Who Laughs have been working on this massive plan since Metal. What it is is, he has sleeper agents throughout the [DC Universe]. They’ve been infected, and they’re slowly turning into the worst versions of themselves,” Williamson teased. “Some of them know they're changing, some don't. Some aren't aware it's kind of like a Jekyll and Hyde situation where they're not aware of [what] the other side is doing.

“This is happening to six people — we’ve been calling them the new Secret Six — who have been turned. But who could be turned? Who are they? [Batman and Superman] have to go out and figure it out. But that means spying on other heroes, friends, allies. We talked about the end of The Thing, where it’s the two of them and they’re like, ‘It could be you, it could be me, but now we have to work together.’”

The identity of the Secret Six — a name with some history in DC mythology, having first been used in 1968 for a comic book series of the same name — will be one of the core elements of the new series, and also an important part of DC’s superhero continuity as a whole across the next year of storytelling.

“It becomes this mystery across not just this book but really the line,” Williamson said, suggesting that fans reading other series might have the chance to work out identities before the heroes do. “It's a thing where it's not just going to be focused on this one book; it starts here, but you're going to get a situation where, if you are reading the line, you might start piecing some stuff together before like bigger reveals happen. You might be like, 'Oh this weird thing's happening over here, I wonder if that's connected to the story here,' and that's cause, yeah. It is.”

6Ble3UW.jpg

o0n4EFU.jpg

'Batman/Superman' Comic Series Will Infect the DC Universe

I was not a big fan of the Metal event series and I absolutely hate the Batman Who Laughs character so I am not all that hyped for this series to continue "Metal-ing" up other characters in the DCU.

David Marquez's art looks amazing though.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
For folks who were interested the seeds for this Secret Six story were also being dropped in The Flash comic where he had the crossover with Batman and it ended with this page:

W8hN9gB.jpg

dqHM2Ai.jpg

And here is the suspect list according to Bleeding Cool:

Perry White
Donna Troy
Beast Boy
Kyle Rayner
John Constantine
Supergirl
Green Arrow
Nightwing
Booster Gold
Batgirl
Robin
Jimmy Olsen
Plastic Man
Miss Martian
Alfred Pennyworth
Hal Jordan
Shazam
Hawkman
Catwoman
Superboy (Jon Kent)
Wonder Woman
Jim Gordon

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
Is that good or bad?

I'm not too familiar with Soule's work, but I've heard good things about his Daredevil, Swamp Thing and Red Lanterns.

I've liked Williamson's Flash and Robocop. Still need to check out Nailbiter and Birthright.
Soule is mediocre and so is all the superhero work from Williamson I've read

Cobratron

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

The earliest issue of Wizard I owned. Now we're getting into my era. :banderas: The first issue I ever bought/read was #26 though.

I just wish these guys grew up on/cared more about Marvel & DC. It would be interesting to hear more insight and opinions on those companies during this era, but Jim & Ed usually gloss over or skip their articles (and hardly ever mention DC at all except to say how poorly they are selling) and go down rabbit holes about indie comics and Image with every issue instead. Still an entertaining show.

Funny how they are hipster indie cartoonists that love "comix" but are still early '90s Image fanboys to this very day. They actually like Rob Liefeld's art and his Extreme Studio clones. :picard: I don't understand the Jae Lee love either.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets

The earliest issue of Wizard I owned. Now we're getting into my era. :banderas: The first issue I ever bought/read was #26 though.

I just wish these guys grew up on/cared more about Marvel & DC. It would be interesting to hear more insight and opinions on those companies during this era, but Jim & Ed usually gloss over or skip their articles (and hardly ever mention DC at all except to say how poorly they are selling) and go down rabbit holes about indie comics and Image with every issue instead. Still an entertaining show.

Funny how they are hipster indie cartoonists that love "comix" but are still early '90s Image fanboys to this very day. They actually like Rob Liefeld's art and his Extreme Studio clones. :picard: I don't understand the Jae Lee love either.

Jae has dope art. I’m reading the Dark Tower stuff he did.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Keeping it 100 no one outside the X-Men corners of the Marvel U cared because it would have fukked up the idiotic conceit of the X-books that they are feared and hated by society just for being mutants while rock monsters and self-proclaimed gods are treated like heroes and celebrities.
A person in the Marvel U is just as likely to be bitten by a cosmic irradiated gerbil and gain super-powers as they are to be born a mutant so keeping up the angle of mutants being marginalized members of society has been weak as fukk from a shared universe storytelling standpoint since the 1970s.

Also Cap probably hates Cyclops because he is a c*nt. Cyclops has always been a c*nt. He used to be a boring by the rules c*nt but now he has morphed into a an edgy emo c*nt.

You can't say that, because that ish happens every day in society. Why is this group marginalized members of society, when that other group can do/does the same ish without receiving the same treatment? That's humanity.

Feared and hated by society is one thing, but treated as an afterthought by your peers is completely different. For Cap to never stand with them, but then try to criticize their actions is BS on Cap's part. Now, of course Cap doesn't have to stand with them or agree with their actions, but he shouldn't interfere at all. As the leader, Cyke has every right not to fukk with Cap. Whether or not people like Cyke is a different story, but there shouldn't be an X-Man that doesn't respect him at this point.

John Reena

Superstar
Daps
What is DC’s obsession with shoving the Batman Who Laughs down everyone e throats?

He basically The Joker. DC Universe already got a Joker (or 3, whenever DC decides to finally do the story after 3-4 years of being introduced.)

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Is that good or bad?

I'm not too familiar with Soule's work, but I've heard good things about his Daredevil, Swamp Thing and Red Lanterns.

I've liked Williamson's Flash and Robocop. Still need to check out Nailbiter and Birthright.
I liked Nailbiter and Birthright. Even liked some of his Suicide Squad but couldn't get into his Flash at all.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
You can't say that, because that ish happens every day in society. Why is this group marginalized members of society, when that other group can do/does the same ish without receiving the same treatment? That's humanity.

I can say it because it isn't based on anything approaching a coherent narrative within the comic book universe they exist.
If the mutant hysteria was as a big an issue as the X-books continue to make it out to be than it should mean that all super-powered people are treated the same way because no one has any way of knowing that 90% of the super-powered characters in the Marvel U aren't also mutants.
But we still get all the other characters treated like heroes and the X-Men treated like scary monsters.
To take the real world view it would be like how everyone from Sikhs to Hindus were being lumped in with Muslims after 9/11 because people were too ignorant to tell the difference.

Feared and hated by society is one thing, but treated as an afterthought by your peers is completely different. For Cap to never stand with them, but then try to criticize their actions is BS on Cap's part. Now, of course Cap doesn't have to stand with them or agree with their actions, but he shouldn't interfere at all. As the leader, Cyke has every right not to fukk with Cap. Whether or not people like Cyke is a different story, but there shouldn't be an X-Man that doesn't respect him at this point.
But my initial point still stands on this front...no one else in the Marvel U gives a fukk because the way editorial handles it is that mutant prejudice only exists in the X-books or when there is a crossover. So it's not like Captain America's book or The Avengers book talks about how mutants are treated and Cap goes: "fukk them bytchass motherfukkers".
You can't hold the character to a standard the whole line of characters don't live up to because it is standard operating procedure to ignore the anti-mutant stuff unless you are writing about it at that time.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
What is DC’s obsession with shoving the Batman Who Laughs down everyone e throats?

He basically The Joker. DC Universe already got a Joker (or 3, whenever DC decides to finally do the story after 3-4 years of being introduced.)
I don't know but I wish they would stop. The character should have died at the end of Metal.