Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
Tom king sucks at Dialouge and looking back his arcs on batman are so so. Snyder is still better.

I disagree about King but I see why people say that. He's got a lot of Bendis/Hickman in him( :dame:). But I agree about Snyder. His run felt "big". And Greg Capullos art was so damn good :blessed:

The 90's sucked for comics. hard.

The 90s sucking is so overblown especially in reference to DC. There were duds but 90s DC had: Mark Waid Flash and Impulse, Rucka Batman, Kelley Puckett/Damian Scott Batgirl run, Kesel/Grummet Superboy, Morrison JLA, Archie/DnA Legion, Marz and Winick Green Lantern, Peter David Young Justice, Supergirl and Aquaman, James Robinson Starman and The Golden Age else worlds, Elseworlds as a whole took off in the 90s, Robinson/Goyer/Johns JSA, Kingdom Come, Chuck Dixon Robin and Nightwing, Gaiman Sandman, Ennis Hitman and Preacher (shyt really all of the Vertigo and Wildstorm lines)....I mean I could go on. These were all great runs.

90s DC is lowkey a golden age and laid groundwork for a lot of concepts and fan favorite characters.

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I disagree about King but I see why people say that. He's got a lot of Bendis/Hickman in him( :dame:). But I agree about Snyder. His run felt "big". And Greg Capullos art was so damn good :blessed:

The 90s sucking is so overblown especially in reference to DC. There were duds but 90s DC had: Mark Waid Flash and Impulse, Rucka Batman, Kelley Puckett/Damian Scott Batgirl run, Kesel/Grummet Superboy, Morrison JLA, Archie/DnA Legion, Marz and Winick Green Lantern, Peter David Young Justice and Aquaman, James Robinson Starman and The Golden Age else worlds, Elseworlds as a whole took off in the 90s, Robinson/Goyer/Johns JSA, Kingdom Come, Chuck Dixon Robin and Nightwing, Gaiman Sandman (shyt really all of the Vertigo and Wildstorm lines)....I mean I could go on. These were all great runs.

90s DC is lowkey a golden age and laid groundwork for a lot of concepts and fan favorite characters.
The designs were fukking horrible. everyone had a damn mullet.

King has nothing of Hickman. Hickman knows world building and science.

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
The designs were fukking horrible. everyone had a damn mullet.

King has nothing of Hickman. Hickman knows world building and science.

Ill agree to an extent. 90s hair was horrible. And probably 50% of the costumes were trash (especially in Marvel, the Mike Deodato Thor costume is one of the worst costumes ever IMO)

8.thorcostume-5.jpg

In fact this list pretty much hits on the worst of the 90s costumes (even though Ive always been fond of AzBats and Elec. Blue Superman
The 16 Worst 90s Superhero Redesigns - PopCrunch )

Hickman does big stories well but the guy (like Tom King and Bendis) can write some clunky, un-natural dialogue. At least to me.

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Ill agree to an extent. 90s hair was horrible. And probably 50% of the costumes were trash (especially in Marvel, the Mike Deodato Thor costume is one of the worst costumes ever IMO)

8.thorcostume-5.jpg

In fact this list pretty much hits on the worst of the 90s costumes (even though Ive always been fond of AzBats and Elec. Blue Superman

Hickman does big stories well but the guy (like Tom King and Bendis) can write some clunky, un-natural dialogue. At least to me.
oh I agree with the dialogue issue.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field

The 90s sucking is so overblown especially in reference to DC. There were duds but 90s DC had: Mark Waid Flash and Impulse, Rucka Batman, Kelley Puckett/Damian Scott Batgirl run, Kesel/Grummet Superboy, Morrison JLA, Archie/DnA Legion, Marz and Winick Green Lantern, Peter David Young Justice, Supergirl and Aquaman, James Robinson Starman and The Golden Age else worlds, Elseworlds as a whole took off in the 90s, Robinson/Goyer/Johns JSA, Kingdom Come, Chuck Dixon Robin and Nightwing, Gaiman Sandman, Ennis Hitman and Preacher (shyt really all of the Vertigo and Wildstorm lines)....I mean I could go on. These were all great runs.

Yeah, 90's DC was crack.

90's MARVEL, on the other hand....... :francis:

parallax

Superstar
Daps

8.thorcostume-5.jpg

I'd still fukk with metal thor over some shyt designs like living lantern Alan Scott. There's no 90s design that touches that shyt

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
Yeah, 90's DC was crack.

90's MARVEL, on the other hand....... :francis:

90s Marvel GOATS are basically:
Age of Apocalypse
Busiek/Perez Avengers
Busiek/Joe Quesada Iron Man (sentient Armor era)
Priest Black Panther
Joe Kelly Deadpool
Peter David X-Factor and Hulk (Peter David is kinda a dikk but his 90s work was prolific)
Everything else was just either OK or just bad. Really alot more "Just OK" work than anything.

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
I'd still fukk with metal thor over some shyt designs like living lantern Alan Scott. There's no 90s design that touches that shyt

yeah i dont know what the fukk Scott Kolins was thinking with this design :mjlol::mjlol:

Kolins used to be such a highly regarded artist too. His work with Johns on Flash after Mark Waid left was really good.

41b5e3840b01ff0db944a9ab56b2bd97--alan-scott-green-lanterns.jpg

Easy-E

Suffering From Success | 1316 Days
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Island of Relevancy, Forever
Rise of Black Panther is the Black Panther book that should've came out 2 years ago, after Secret Wars finished and ppl were gassed about the character with CA:Civil War.

It's an actual "Black Panther" book.

I don't even count Hickman bc it was an ensemble cast with a lot of pump fakes. Rise is just pure unadultered BP

So, no Shea Butter nonsense like Coates' run, atleast in the beginning?

I had to drop that joint after like 10 issues.

I'm a big dan of Evan Narcisse's video game articles on kotaku

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
So, no Shea Butter nonsense like Coates' run, atleast in the beginning?

I had to drop that joint after like 10 issues.

I'm a big dan of Evan Narcisse's video game articles on kotaku

I had concerns with the first issue, because although well written with easter eggs it still sought to reveal T'Challa's birth mom N'Yami as the "smart" one that pushed the envelope for Wakanda to be as tech advanced as they are. Anyone exposed to TNC's anti-male, shea butter drivel, knows he loves giving all the feats and accomplishments to the females while borderline if not out right emasculating the males, so i was weary of the precedent that was being set...

..but issue 2, which is when we actually get introduced to grown T'Challa, is the exact opposite of what we've had with TNC. Everything Black Panther is supposed to be is what he was in this issue. It's not an exact mirroring of Priest or Hudlin, but it's the same familiar essence of the character, if that makes sense. This is the first BP book i've bought in over a year.

I hope the remaining 4 issues have that same energy. And if so, something needs to be done to make Evans the new writer. A technical criticism could be that it's a little too wordy at times but i personally don't mind; he's been impressive so far.