Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
Just picked up some new marvel stuff.

Venom #1 was :ohhh::gladbron::ahh:

Loved the seemingly random ass Beowulf tie in. Grendel is one of my all time favorite books.

Picked up Spidey. Excited to get into a fresh Spiderman run on the ground level as hes always been one of my favorites since a kid but have never read a full run issue by issue. Ready to give Spencer and Ottley a shot.

Grabbed Immortal Hulk 1 which looks amazing too based on my obsession with horror movies/books

Grabbed #1's of Cosmic Ghost Rider and Deadpool for some fukkery :manny:

For Image I picked up #1 of Farmhand. Guy at the counter pointed it out and I know Chew is supposed to be a good read.

Excited to fresh start with some titles after dumping both Xmen blue / gold before they announced the end of the runs. Dropped Doc Strange too after a solid two year run in my pull list. This cosmic hunt for magic shyt right now is :patrice:
Venom and Miles teaming up right now.
shyt is crazy!!

TKOK

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sactown
Pete and MJ got back together :blessed:
tenor.gif
Never should have gotten unmarried.

Read the new X men Gold, series has been sorta lackluster and annoyed me after the non-wedding of peter and kitty,but that was dope.

Also read the Batman's Wedding

the reason for Catwoman leaving Bats was lame, pretty sure Bruce can be happy and still be Batman,but i'm interested to see where it goes, also want to know how in the blue fukk Thomas Wayne and Skeets are Banes team

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
tenor.gif
Never should have gotten unmarried.

Read the new X men Gold, series has been sorta lackluster and annoyed me after the non-wedding of peter and kitty,but that was dope.

Also read the Batman's Wedding

the reason for Catwoman leaving Bats was lame, pretty sure Bruce can be happy and still be Batman,but i'm interested to see where it goes, also want to know how in the blue fukk Thomas Wayne and Skeets are Banes team

I disagree breh. I don’t think he can be happy and still do his thing. But that’s why I love the reasoning. It’s a question that all fans feel differently about

reigun

Superstar
Daps
Caught all up on Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I would love to pick Kyle Higgins' brain on how he researched for this event. One would assume he just watched the show, but considering how long the show has been running and just how deep he's getting into the lore while also getting down the personalities of the different ranger team, I can't imagine anyone watching that much Power Rangers.

Also, loving the shine the RPM universe is getting. They could do a whole separate series in that world alone.

Dr. K and Jen:blessed: It would be so easy to make the series just about MMPR nostalgia, but I'm digging that Higgins is respecting the whole franchise. I've never seen Samurai, but I even appreciate that they got Red Ranger from that series involved. You got 25 years of material. Use it.

RIP to my nikka Tommy. :mjcry::salute:

So are we to believe Drakkon is just out here killing every Tommy in the timeline? So did the Turbo and Dino Thunder versions take the big L too?:sadbron:

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
Caught all up on Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I would love to pick Kyle Higgins' brain on how he researched for this event. One would assume he just watched the show, but considering how long the show has been running and just how deep he's getting into the lore while also getting down the personalities of the different ranger team, I can't imagine anyone watching that much Power Rangers.

Also, loving the shine the RPM universe is getting. They could do a whole separate series in that world alone.

Dr. K and Jen:blessed: It would be so easy to make the series just about MMPR nostalgia, but I'm digging that Higgins is respecting the whole franchise. I've never seen Samurai, but I even appreciate that they got Red Ranger from that series involved. You got 25 years of material. Use it.

RIP to my nikka Tommy. :mjcry::salute:

So are we to believe Drakkon is just out here killing every Tommy in the timeline? So did the Turbo and Dino Thunder versions take the big L too?:sadbron:
I just caught up with the series over the past few days and it's pretty dope Higgins has been able to make a fresh take on the rangers similar to what IDW has done with the turtles. I love how he's been able to tie into the other types of rangers over the years with this new event and Drakkon is a beast. :wow:

he had to go and kill his younger self though Tommy was always my fav of the rangers too breh :mjcry: he was the wolverine loner outsider we all love.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Dr. K and Jen

Agree 100%. RPM is my favorite season, but considering all the issues it had I'm just happy they didn't flat out ignore it.

Can't wait to get the Shattered Grid omnibus, though I doubt it'll be any time soon. Boom Studios is slow AF with their trades.
I don’t think he can be happy and still do his thing

The problem I have with that is at what point is he truly 'happy.' His parents' killer was found and convicted (though I'm not sure if New 52 retconned that), he has the entire Justice League and Bat family who follow his lead and care about him. He should be pretty happy already. Him getting married is not gonna be that significant either way to his overall happiness.

The only way he'd truly be happy is if all crime in Gotham was eradicated and his parents came back from the dead.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Agree 100%. RPM is my favorite season, but considering all the issues it had I'm just happy they didn't flat out ignore it.

Can't wait to get the Shattered Grid omnibus, though I doubt it'll be any time soon. Boom Studios is slow AF with their trades.

The problem I have with that is at what point is he truly 'happy.' His parents' killer was found and convicted (though I'm not sure if New 52 retconned that), he has the entire Justice League and Bat family who follow his lead and care about him. He should be pretty happy already. Him getting married is not gonna be that significant either way to his overall happiness.

The only way he'd truly be happy is if all crime in Gotham was eradicated and his parents came back from the dead.

Bingo. Meaning Bruce will never be happy. At least to me. I don’t think he can ever be happy. I think he’ll always have a chip on his shoulder because his quest is futile

reigun

Superstar
Daps
I just caught up with the series over the past few days and it's pretty dope Higgins has been able to make a fresh take on the rangers similar to what IDW has done with the turtles. I love how he's been able to tie into the other types of rangers over the years with this new event and Drakkon is a beast. :wow:

he had to go and kill his younger self though Tommy was always my fav of the rangers too breh :mjcry: he was the wolverine loner outsider we all love.
I'm ready for this nikka Drakkon to catch a mean fade. Jason where you at breh? :sadcam: (Who am I kidding? Jason probably getting murked too at this point)

Higgins has done an excellent job with the tension and danger in this series. It's felt like the Power Rangers have been doing nothing but catching Ls the entire series. Even when they do win, they don't get to enjoy it because shyt goes right back to chaos.

Bringing in the other Ranger teams for the first big event was genius. It feels like Higgins made setting up a legit universe for others to play in a priority before leaving the book. The second annual was :ohlawd:. If I had one comment about how it's been handled, I would ask why he decided not to include Dino Thunder more considering Tommy was that team's creator and mentor on top of being the Black Ranger.

The Samurai Rangers took a mean L. Out of all the teams, it felt like Higgins just shyt on them.

RIP to the Time Force Rangers:mjcry:

Shout outs to my nikkas in SPD for driving Drakkon back while unmorphed. Space Patrol Delta taking no losses :wow:

By my count, the only series that are completely unaccounted for (as in, we've seen no characters from them) are Wild Force, Ninja Storm, and Operation Overdrive. I can't imagine Higgins has anything big planned for them, but I'm ready to be proven wrong. Also, got damn there's been like 20+ teams and Higgins has used all but 3 (4 if you count Turbo, which is basically the same as In Space).

RPM is the only series I would actually recommend to anyone older than 8. It's still Power Rangers, but incredibly well executed.

I would not have expected Dr. K to be so important to the Shattered Grid story, but after thinking about it, it does make sense. She's probably the smartest person in the entirety of PR lore.

I laughed when she basically shyt on Drakkon's tech. "Those pesky little things. :hhh:" shyt was light work for her.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I disagree breh. I don’t think he can be happy and still do his thing. But that’s why I love the reasoning. It’s a question that all fans feel differently about
I see that as other people putting their own ideas of what makes Bruce Wayne be Batman onto him.
His own personal happiness doesn't have any bearing on his deep seated need to see justice done.
Thinking that is all based in him being miserable kinda underestimates who he is and why he does what he does.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I see that as other people putting their own ideas of what makes Bruce Wayne be Batman onto him.
His own personal happiness doesn't have any bearing on his deep seated need to see justice done.
Thinking that is all based in him being miserable kinda underestimates who he is and why he does what he does.

But I would argue that’s your own idea as to what makes him Batman. Bruce will be happy when his job is over and his job never will be over. He goes to a dark dark place to be Batman. It doesn’t mean he has to be miserable. Not being happy doesn’t mean you’re miserable. In mask of the phantasm he asks his parents if he has the right to move on from this crusade and be happy. He really tussles with that internally and ultimately the decision is made for him. As far back as I can remember, he’s always had an internal battle with being truly happy and continuing his war on crime. Clearly he can still be a good dude to be around and smirk and smile and laugh but for me, true happiness is contentment. Bruce will never be content until his war is over

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
But I would argue that’s your own idea as to what makes him Batman. Bruce will be happy when his job is over and his job never will be over. He goes to a dark dark place to be Batman. It doesn’t mean he has to be miserable. Not being happy doesn’t mean you’re miserable. In mask of the phantasm he asks his parents if he has the right to move on from this crusade and be happy. He really tussles with that internally and ultimately the decision is made for him. As far back as I can remember, he’s always had an internal battle with being truly happy and continuing his war on crime. Clearly he can still be a good dude to be around and smirk and smile and laugh but for me, true happiness is contentment. Bruce will never be content until his war is over
And that seems like a complete underestimation of Bruce Wayne/Batman as a hero and an indictment on his entire mental state.
It basically makes it out that he is only doing the crimefighting because he is a damaged miserable fukk and his obsession is so deranged that he actually thinks eradicating all crime is an attainable goal.
A Batman who is a slightly damaged do-gooder devoted to seeing justice done is worth rooting for.
A Batman who is a mentally deranged weirdo on an impossible quest that would make Don Quixote look normal is just pathetic.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
And that seems like a complete underestimation of Bruce Wayne/Batman as a hero and an indictment on his entire mental state.
It basically makes it out that he is only doing the crimefighting because he is a damaged miserable fukk and his obsession is so deranged that he actually thinks eradicating all crime is an attainable goal.
A Batman who is a slightly damaged do-gooder devoted to seeing justice done is worth rooting for.
A Batman who is a mentally deranged weirdo on an impossible quest that would make Don Quixote look normal is just pathetic.
And what’s makes batman great is that both of those interpretations are valid and have been shown in the comics. Some writers depict him as someone damaged. Others portray him as someone who truly won’t be content until his job is finished but it’s futile. I believe he’s in the middle; he’s damaged and wants justice but uses methods that I believe are questionable and shows someone who may be deluding himself. Not all the time but he has his moments. Batman is the perfect literary character because he’s a Rorschach test.

We see in him what we want to and different writers do as well. Frank Miller’s batman is the latter example while Neal Adams’ or Scott Snyder’s batman is the former. Bruce Timm and Paul Dini are in the middle. Nolan’s Batman only saw it as a means to an end but had no desire to keep doing it forever. King is asking that question with his arc: is this guy damaged or is he out of his mind?

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
X-Men just running thru all the colors huh??
:pachaha:
Blue
Gold
Red

now we getting Black.
:mjlol:

*waits for that X-Men Fuchsia
:lupe: