Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Coates spent an entire 12 issue arc of BP wasting our time about how Storm is a goddess because of "worship", only for the X-Men Gold writer to shyt on that entire concept in 2 issues by having some made up African god tell Storm worship ain't shyt and bytch u better use that god hammer if u want to beat me... which she had to do, before losing it and her godhood.

These black writers finna learn to stop using Storm one of these days... That Hudlin stuff is cute but it ain't never gonna work, time and again

:mjpls:
Yeah the x-men writers are not interested in this pan-africanist superhero goddess that these black writers keep trying to write Storm as. they just need to move on from her and try to use or create a black female superhero who they want to be pan-africanist superhero.:yeshrug:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Yeah the x-men writers are not interested in this pan-africanist superhero goddess that these black writers keep trying to write Storm as. they just need to move on from her and try to use or create a black female superhero who they want to be pan-africanist superhero.:yeshrug:

Facts. spiderman got a GOAT-level rogue gallery, love interests, and support cast bc they create their own shyt (or copy others shyt) instead of begging for one-way street inclusion.

They saw catwoman and were like dats cool, let's make Black Cat. Diff company but it's the same principle: Create ya own damn African goddess and roll with that.

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
We always celebrate Hickman’s run on the Avengers/FF4.

BUT

We gotta also give props to Kurt Busiek’s run. His run was basically an encyclopedia of the ENTIRE Marvel Universe. His run pretty much got me up to speed with Marvel Comics in general. He gave each n every Avenger a personality. If he was using a character they just didn’t become a background fixture. Hawkeye was tha hot head rebel, Cap was the strong confident leader, Thor was the brash fearless warrior, Scarlet Witch was the shy, naive chick, Carol Danvers was a recovering alcoholic not sure of herself, Iron Man was the smart ass know it all. Busiek also uses the BEST and biggest villains: Ultron, Morgan Le Fey, Kang, Juggernaut and the rest of the avatars of destruction, Count Nefaria, Zemo, Wrecking Crew, etc.,
His run was the best Avengers run outside of the silver age.

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
It's always gonna be a conundrum with Peter Parker.

Fans mad Marvel deaded the marriage/baby and stunted his natural evolution as a father/husband :hula: Fans mad Marvel progressed his naturally evolution into a genius millionaire inventor/scientist using his inventions and cash flow for the greater good.

And yea, there were some at the start of ANAD who didn't like that Peter used his glorified Reed Richards-lite intellect to finally level up in life and be more than the hard on his luck broke teacher/photographer/whatever going on 30 years old. Which is fine if u want to see him married with kid but still broke, but that selective growth wasn't lost on me. I personally find both (wife/kid + big career) to be logical if not now (given his age) then very soon.

That said, I also understand that he forever 'can't' progress in either direction for more than a few years, let alone in both bc Marvel wants to keep him 'young' forever.
This is why I'm in favor of Marvel and DC doing reboots every 20-30 years or so. I know fans don't like it but it's ridiculous how static these characters remain for decades. Spider-Man is a genius but has been a struggling young to mid adult for decades. Let the man grow up. Let Aunt May's old ass die. Let him be married and have a child or two. Let Cyclops and Jean have their own children and leave the superhero life behind and actually be happy.

Secret Wars could have been Marvel's Crisis on Infinite Earths by merging the 610 and Ultimate universe together and start from scratch like DC did in the 80s. I bet by 2030 Peter will still be the struggling twenty something guy who is constantly worrying about paying his rent and getting enough money to pay for May's 100th hospital stay. :pachaha:

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
It sucked but the clone saga was worse. It told readers this guy you’ve been reading about for 20 years isn’t the real Spider-Man but a clone. This guy is actually the real Spider-Man. So all these stories you invested in were just fairy dust. That’s worse.
That killed Spider-Man for me. I haven't been able to regularly read a Spidey book since Clinton has been president. The stench of the clone saga is still there for me after 20 years. That and the "loss" of the baby and Norman Osborn's return from "death", Gwen fukking Osborn and having his kids.
full

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
That killed Spider-Man for me. I haven't been able to regularly read a Spidey book since Clinton has been president. The stench of the clone saga is still there for me after 20 years. That and the "loss" of the baby and Norman Osborn's return from "death", Gwen fukking Osborn and having his kids.
full

It's crazy the amount of shyt they put him through in the 90s and early 2000s but Joey Q had the gall to say the marriage was the problem :russ:

That said, it's been really good for a while now. I'd say jump on at Superior Spider-Man and go from there

Emoryal

Superstar
Daps
This is why I'm in favor of Marvel and DC doing reboots every 20-30 years or so. I know fans don't like it but it's ridiculous how static these characters remain for decades. Spider-Man is a genius but has been a struggling young to mid adult for decades. Let the man grow up. Let Aunt May's old ass die. Let him be married and have a child or two. Let Cyclops and Jean have their own children and leave the superhero life behind and actually be happy.

Secret Wars could have been Marvel's Crisis on Infinite Earths by merging the 610 and Ultimate universe together and start from scratch like DC did in the 80s. I bet by 2030 Peter will still be the struggling twenty something guy who is constantly worrying about paying his rent and getting enough money to pay for May's 100th hospital stay. :pachaha:
Why? The truth is every 20-30 years a new generation of readers is going to come along and read it and Marvel wants a legacy to lean back on. There is a reason why DC basically went back on the New 52 trying to keep so much canon and eventually trying to bring everything back with rebirth. First off these comics are pretty much iconic so you just can't "re-do" them and you're never going to catch back up on 60+ years of history. The idea of the ultimate universe is great no reason why it should be the mainstream universe. Besides you do what sells. They killed Peter off and replaced him with miles in another universe and there was an uproar though there is underlying context to that it shows no one is getting tired of this anytime soon as long as the stories are good.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I just blind bought the first 29 issues of the OG Wonder Man comic. Only read some comics where he’s guest appearing. For 25 cents a piece, why not? :manny:

EDIT: It's actually the complete run. :ehh:

Last edited:

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Issue 2 of Fantastic Four was so much better than issue one it's not even funny. Probably my favorite comic this week.

Still need to finish Hickman's run, but I have like 12 other runs I'm trying to get through. :noah:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Just read #5. Are they headed towards correcting the Spidey issue?

And WTF is Miles at?
He's currently still in The Champions book and he has a new solo book coming out in December:

Qg6e9iS.jpg

The new series will be the first ongoing Miles Morales book not written by co-creator Brian Michael Bendis. Instead, Exiles writer Saladin Ahmed and Secret Warriors artist Javier Garron will be charting the next major chapter in Miles' superhero career.

Spider-Man Miles Morales Returns in New Marvel Series - IGN