Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How many boxes you got?
Never put them in a long box. 80 to 90% of my collection comes from when I was a little kid and back then I was thinking about protecting and storing them properly. When I got back into comics back when Infinite Crisis started I started to bag and board them but never got around to putting them in long boxes. I went digital sometime around the first year of the 52 reboot.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think Heroes in Crisis is :trash:, and a big part of what solidified it for me was actually the Black Cat arc in Nick Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man. The B-plot about Mary Jane going to that support group was a much better handling of a superhero-related support center than anything we've seen of Sanctuary.

The biggest problem is that nothing about it feels authentic or earned. Sure, they've told us (both in universe and in interviews) that Sanctuary is a 'safe space,' but they've done nothing to show us that. They just referenced it a few times and threw us right in the action, which is a cheap thing to do when you're using it to kill off so many characters. Because they've done such a poor job building Sanctuary as the safe space they keep telling us it us, none of these deaths have any emotional impact and they just feel like more lazy, meaningless comic book deaths.

Plus the story relies on the idiot ball to keep the story going. Booster Gold had to go through character assassination just to get him in this story. Harley can single handedly take out the Trinity. Superman and Lois have information that would be instrumental in finding the killer, but Superman doesn't give it to the Justice League or even tell them about it until Lois publishes her story about Sanctuary, all because "B-b-but muh jurnelistic integrity!"

And Wally was a huge lynchpin for the entire Rebirth slate. DC sold that whole thing on, "Remember the characters and relationships you loved? Now they're back!" Killing him off, off-panel no less, only two years later, without any resolution to his story, is going to justifiably anger some fans. Saying he'll be brought back when another writer wants to use him is not an excuse. They basically took all the good will they had built with Rebirth and said, "fukk that shyt. That was Geoff Johns's bullshyt. We done with that. :camby:" I still think he'll be brought back by the end of Doomsday Clock since he was the one to alert the other heroes about Dr. Manhattan, but that book's been pushed back so much that I don't blame any Wally fans for not being comforted by that fact.

It's just a shyt story all around. The only criticism of it that I think is unfair is all the talk about the female characters being sexualized. Oh, my God, they showed Lois in her panties as she was getting in bed, and they showed Batgirl's ass as she was showing her bullet wound. Women have asses. Get over it. :camby:
Were you in the Comics thread on resetera:laugh:? I like to lurk there because sometimes they put me on to something I wasn't checking but the estrogen levels are high in them posters

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
How would you rank these guys in a fight. Most likely to beat any of the others 1on1 to least likely:

Gambit
Red Hood
Winter Soldier
Nightwing
Taskmaster
Damian Wayne
Nightwing
Winter Soldier
Red Hood
Damian Wayne
Taskmaster
Gambit

In only have Taskmaster so low because the guy should be molly-whomping everybody considering his ability but he's still presented as just a low level mook the majority of the time he shows up.
And Gambit needs to die so I would put him at the bottom if this list was just him, Toyman and the Prankster.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Never put them in a long box. 80 to 90% of my collection comes from when I was a little kid and back then I was thinking about protecting and storing them properly. When I got back into comics back when Infinite Crisis started I started to bag and board them but never got around to putting them in long boxes. I went digital sometime around the first year of the 52 reboot.
:dahell:

How come you don’t use boxes? Where do you store them ?

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Nightwing
Winter Soldier
Red Hood
Damian Wayne
Taskmaster
Gambit

In only have Taskmaster so low because the guy should be molly-whomping everybody considering his ability but he's still presented as just a low level mook the majority of the time he shows up.
And Gambit needs to die so I would put him at the bottom if this list was just him, Toyman and the Prankster.
:ehh:

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
Same here. Taskmaster's ability should make him an elite level villain, but he's always gets beat pretty easily in the comics.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Physical comics in 2019. :scust:

I don't even pirate cbr files anymore because you can't read them panel by panel.