Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
King is such a try hard writer

I don't get why people are into his work

Vision, Omega Men, Grayson and Mister Miracle are all beloved works.

It's Batman and Heroes in Crisis that have destroyed his good will and really exposed him as a one-trick pony who can't write about anything but PTSD, whether it fits the characters or not.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I really wish the rumors of him taking over the X-franchise were true. :mjcry:
I have been wanting DC to just hand The Legion of Super-Heroes over to Hickman.
I just want to see what Hickman would do with an established universe that is pretty much totally removed from the rest of a comic book line's main continuity.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Vision, Omega Men, Grayson and Mister Miracle are all beloved works.

It's Batman and Heroes in Crisis that have destroyed his good will and really exposed him as a one-trick pony who can't write about anything but PTSD, whether it fits the characters or not.
Aside from this past week's issue with Prof. Pyg, I have loved every issue of King's run.
And I guess it is because I am not as locked into caring about how things fit into continuity I have been enjoying heroes in Crisis too. Plus his take on the heroes needing a safe space to deal with their psychological trauma is a cool one and the mystery is well done. A lot of the things people are pointing to in HiC as bad writing or characters powers/behavior not being correct are all obviously part of the mystery King is setting up.
Also Wally West has died a billion times so getting all pissy over him dying again is childish. It's comic books, anybody who dies will be brought back as soon as a writer who likes them decides to resurrect them.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think Heroes in Crisis is :trash:, and a big part of what solidified it for me was actually the Black Cat arc in Nick Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man. The B-plot about Mary Jane going to that support group was a much better handling of a superhero-related support center than anything we've seen of Sanctuary.

The biggest problem is that nothing about it feels authentic or earned. Sure, they've told us (both in universe and in interviews) that Sanctuary is a 'safe space,' but they've done nothing to show us that. They just referenced it a few times and threw us right in the action, which is a cheap thing to do when you're using it to kill off so many characters. Because they've done such a poor job building Sanctuary as the safe space they keep telling us it us, none of these deaths have any emotional impact and they just feel like more lazy, meaningless comic book deaths.

Plus the story relies on the idiot ball to keep the story going. Booster Gold had to go through character assassination just to get him in this story. Harley can single handedly take out the Trinity. Superman and Lois have information that would be instrumental in finding the killer, but Superman doesn't give it to the Justice League or even tell them about it until Lois publishes her story about Sanctuary, all because "B-b-but muh jurnelistic integrity!"

And Wally was a huge lynchpin for the entire Rebirth slate. DC sold that whole thing on, "Remember the characters and relationships you loved? Now they're back!" Killing him off, off-panel no less, only two years later, without any resolution to his story, is going to justifiably anger some fans. Saying he'll be brought back when another writer wants to use him is not an excuse. They basically took all the good will they had built with Rebirth and said, "fukk that shyt. That was Geoff Johns's bullshyt. We done with that. :camby:" I still think he'll be brought back by the end of Doomsday Clock since he was the one to alert the other heroes about Dr. Manhattan, but that book's been pushed back so much that I don't blame any Wally fans for not being comforted by that fact.

It's just a shyt story all around. The only criticism of it that I think is unfair is all the talk about the female characters being sexualized. Oh, my God, they showed Lois in her panties as she was getting in bed, and they showed Batgirl's ass as she was showing her bullet wound. Women have asses. Get over it. :camby:

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
I have been wanting DC to just hand The Legion of Super-Heroes over to Hickman.
I just want to see what Hickman would do with an established universe that is pretty much totally removed from the rest of a comic book line's main continuity.

I'm pretty sure hickman has a GODLY ass pitch/story for LoSH

I'm hoping DC gave Bendis this imprint just so he could stay away from soembody like Hickman

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Uncanny X-Men just makes you further appreciate what Hickman did with that big ass Avengers lineup for 3-4 years spanning 3-4 simultaneous books.

Throwing a shytload of characters into a book with continuous overpowered extinction level event causing heretics and making it work, is a talent

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
How would you rank these guys in a fight. Most likely to beat any of the others 1on1 to least likely:

Gambit
Red Hood
Winter Soldier
Nightwing
Taskmaster
Damian Wayne

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I think Heroes in Crisis is :trash:, and a big part of what solidified it for me was actually the Black Cat arc in Nick Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man. The B-plot about Mary Jane going to that support group was a much better handling of a superhero-related support center than anything we've seen of Sanctuary.

The biggest problem is that nothing about it feels authentic or earned. Sure, they've told us (both in universe and in interviews) that Sanctuary is a 'safe space,' but they've done nothing to show us that. They just referenced it a few times and threw us right in the action, which is a cheap thing to do when you're using it to kill off so many characters. Because they've done such a poor job building Sanctuary as the safe space they keep telling us it us, none of these deaths have any emotional impact and they just feel like more lazy, meaningless comic book deaths.

Plus the story relies on the idiot ball to keep the story going. Booster Gold had to go through character assassination just to get him in this story. Harley can single handedly take out the Trinity. Superman and Lois have information that would be instrumental in finding the killer, but Superman doesn't give it to the Justice League or even tell them about it until Lois publishes her story about Sanctuary, all because "B-b-but muh jurnelistic integrity!"

And Wally was a huge lynchpin for the entire Rebirth slate. DC sold that whole thing on, "Remember the characters and relationships you loved? Now they're back!" Killing him off, off-panel no less, only two years later, without any resolution to his story, is going to justifiably anger some fans. Saying he'll be brought back when another writer wants to use him is not an excuse. They basically took all the good will they had built with Rebirth and said, "fukk that shyt. That was Geoff Johns's bullshyt. We done with that. :camby:" I still think he'll be brought back by the end of Doomsday Clock since he was the one to alert the other heroes about Dr. Manhattan, but that book's been pushed back so much that I don't blame any Wally fans for not being comforted by that fact.

It's just a shyt story all around. The only criticism of it that I think is unfair is all the talk about the female characters being sexualized. Oh, my God, they showed Lois in her panties as she was getting in bed, and they showed Batgirl's ass as she was showing her bullet wound. Women have asses. Get over it. :camby:
When I heard about that Trinity shyt I disregarded any notion I had to check that book.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town