Votes: 44 31.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
The Aggie.org picks Damn for AOTY

Album of the Year: “DAMN.” by Kendrick Lamar

2017 was a extraordinary year for music, with many artists often transcending the mainstream sounds. New stars and veteran performers alike stunned audiences with fresh material that rose through the charts. Personally, I believe that Album of the Year should be awarded to Lorde for her second album, “Melodrama.” However, despite my admiration for the 21-year-old singer-songwriter, I also believe that Kendrick Lamar’s “DAMN.” stands as a strong contender to take home the prize. The reality of the matter is that the nominations pool this year is extremely competitive with Bruno Mars’ “24K Magic,” JAY-Z’s “4:44” and Donald Glover’s unique “Awaken, My Love!” also being recognized. But at the end of the day, “DAMN.” is some of Lamar’s best work, with many of the album’s tracks holding a deeper meaning not only in his personal life but also in the lives of his listeners.

https://theaggie.org/2018/01/15/2018-grammy-awards-predictions/

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
K.Dot slated to perform

Kendrick Lamar, U2, Sam Smith and Elton John have been announced as the latest round of performers at the 2018 Grammy Awards, set to take place January 28th in New York City.

John will perform "one of his classic hits" alongside special guest Miley Cyrus.

The already stacked Grammys lineup will also feature performances from Cardi B, Bruno Mars, Lady Gaga, Kesha, SZA, Pink, Childish Gambino and Little Big Town. Logic, Alessia Cara and Khalid – who teamed for the Grammy-nominated track "1-800-273-8255" – will also take the stage, as will "Despacito" masterminds Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee. To mark the Grammys' return to New York City, the show will also feature tribute to Broadway legends Andrew Lloyd Webber and Leonard Bernstein featuring Patti LuPone and Ben Platt.

Lamar is up for seven Grammys this year, including Album of the Year for Damn and Record of the Year for "Humble." As for U2 and Smith, both released albums last fall that arrived after the Grammy's cut-off date.

Kendrick Lamar, Elton John, U2 Added to 2018 Grammy Lineup

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
K.Dot slated to perform

Kendrick Lamar, U2, Sam Smith and Elton John have been announced as the latest round of performers at the 2018 Grammy Awards, set to take place January 28th in New York City.

John will perform "one of his classic hits" alongside special guest Miley Cyrus.

The already stacked Grammys lineup will also feature performances from Cardi B, Bruno Mars, Lady Gaga, Kesha, SZA, Pink, Childish Gambino and Little Big Town. Logic, Alessia Cara and Khalid – who teamed for the Grammy-nominated track "1-800-273-8255" – will also take the stage, as will "Despacito" masterminds Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee. To mark the Grammys' return to New York City, the show will also feature tribute to Broadway legends Andrew Lloyd Webber and Leonard Bernstein featuring Patti LuPone and Ben Platt.

Lamar is up for seven Grammys this year, including Album of the Year for Damn and Record of the Year for "Humble." As for U2 and Smith, both released albums last fall that arrived after the Grammy's cut-off date.

Kendrick Lamar, Elton John, U2 Added to 2018 Grammy Lineup
This tips it to him. Winners always perform.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Are we sure Hov isn't performing? Beyonce+Hov for Family Feud would be such an obvious choice for ratings.

I know other awards shows tell people who is winning beforehand, but I don't believe the Grammys do that.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Are we sure Hov isn't performing? Beyonce+Hov for Family Feud would be such an obvious choice for ratings.

I know other awards shows tell people who is winning beforehand, but I don't believe the Grammys do that.

The Grammys Don’t tell people who win beforehand. There’s usually a precedent for performers going on to win, with some notable exceptions...

Michael Jackson, The Gawd himself, was famously shunned and lost all four of his nominations at the 1988 Grammy Ceremony after performing.

India Arie lost all SEVEN of her nominations in 2002 after performing

Kendrick Lamar lost all SEVEN of his nominations after performing at the 2014 ceremony

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
He performed in 2014 and didn’t win:lupe:
I'm talking about the hip hop awards. No one else in that category is performing. In 2014 when he lost, Macklemore was performing too and didn't he marry people off or some shyt?

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I'm talking about the hip hop awards. No one else in that category is performing. In 2014 when he lost, Macklemore was performing too and didn't he marry people off or some shyt?

Well Macklemore performed Same Love and while he was performing Queen Latifah Married off some same sex couples...

But yea your right. I’m expecting Kendrick to pretty much sweep the rap categories, except for Best Rap/Sung (which has Hov and Bey’s name written all over it) so there’s no WAY he’s going home empty handed.

The biggest question is if K.Dot is going to get his well deserved AOTY award or if he and Hov will split votes and it ends up going to Bruno Mars.

History has taught us to never EVER underestimate both the Grammys hatred for Hip Hop and their love for white women. So with Lorde nominated it seems like an upset is possible, but I have a feeling that Kendrick is having an Outkast in 04 type of year. Where his dominance is simply undeniable. Put it this way, if Kendrick doesn’t win AOTY this time he will NEVER win it and the next rapper that does will be whatever white Boy that the industry taps to succeed Eminem.