Essential The Official MMA Thread

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
With what happened in her life I'm ok as long as she can provide in a healthy manner for her kid and herself.
But she still took fights after that and is still calling out fighters today. If she's too bereft to fight shouldn't she just retire?

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
No if the UFC ain't tripping why should we?
It's not exactly good pr if they cut her and they could face some form of litigation so it's not like they haven't cut her out of the goodness of their hearts.

We are fight fans/ paying customers, if there is someone that's signed that doesn't serve as analyst or fighter or a consultant at the performance center or even a friggin ambassador for the sport but is such a visible presence on social media it's like what's the point? She's been through rough shyt ok go radio silent and deal with that don't pretend to be a fighter but not fight

jackswstd

Retired
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Meltzer noted that he's been told UFC wants Lesnar to go up against Jon Jones but that would depend on what happens this coming weekend at UFC 214. Jones is scheduled to face Lesnar friend Daniel Cormier for the UFC Light Heavyweight Title. Meltzer speculated on UFC grooming Jones to be a big superstar and the feeling is that there could be a major coronation if the 30 year old beats Lesnar.

"I would love to fight Brock Lesnar. He's a massive dude. I mean, it would be a massive draw. Really big for the sport. It'd be a great challenge. That's a big ol' boy. I doubt Brock Lesnar would take that fight, though. I definitely wouldn't try to wrestle with him the whole time. I would … you know what, I wouldn't tell you what I would do."

The Associated Press contacted Lesnar later in the day for a response to Jones' comments and The Beast had the following to say:

"Would I fight Jon Jones? Anytime, anywhere. Right now he should be worried about D.C. on Saturday night."

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
lesnar vs jones would be nuts
That article reads like one big :duck: from a rasslin insider that clearly has no clue on current state of the ufc. For one lesnar said he's retired, 2ndly UFC "groomed" Jones to be a superstar? They can't actually groom him for anything now because there is no competition and he like the ufc isn't likely to grow any more in popularity

And lastly neither Dana or any of the owners have spoken to him since last July hell they were in 2 minds of him headlining a card for the foreseeable future . Jones himself has always said he's not moving to HW because of the disparity between 205 and 265

Meltzer be Meltzer:camby:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
But she still took fights after that and is still calling out fighters today. If she's too bereft to fight shouldn't she just retire?

I remember rumblings that UFC was holding her to face Cyborg next but she's also the last one to beat Amanda Nunes...and it was a BEATDOWN. So I doubt UFC lets her walk and she's probably one or two wins away from getting thrown right back in title talk the same way Weidman snuck right back in despite losing to Rockhold, Romero and Gegard (I'm counting Gegard as a win regardless of controversy, he was dominated).

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
UFC just went back to back PPV's with under 150,000 sells...if Jones and Lesnar are down, it'll probably happen within a year. I'm not that interested in the fight, but it does have that spectacle feel and the UFC needs to move some PPVs and get momentum back so I can't hate too hard outside of the fact it shows they dgaf about PEDs.

LinusCaldwell

From The Eastside with Love
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
It's not exactly good pr if they cut her and they could face some form of litigation so it's not like they haven't cut her out of the goodness of their hearts.

We are fight fans/ paying customers, if there is someone that's signed that doesn't serve as analyst or fighter or a consultant at the performance center or even a friggin ambassador for the sport but is such a visible presence on social media it's like what's the point? She's been through rough shyt ok go radio silent and deal with that don't pretend to be a fighter but not fight

I don't share the same sentiments because I don't know her situation I'm just going off of her history :manny: she might have more leeway and the UFC brass is understanding for her particular situation

LinusCaldwell

From The Eastside with Love
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Jones not liking Luke Thomas :dead: also anyone hear about fighters spreading UFC tried to blackball Ariel from the press conference today because he didn't ask a question... he jumped in front of it on Twitter and said that's not the case...

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
ABC adopts new weight classes for MMA, including 165, 175, 195, 225

I just came across this

just like I thought it seems like the creation of more divisions is not exclusive for boxing, but rather a natural evolution in combat sports. As a sport grow the bigger the need is for more "detailed", specified weight classes also grows. More talent means more potential place to fill up plus as I heard many MMA fighters have had problems with weight cuts so this could be extremely helpful to them.
Seems like including new divisions is just the natural next step and a big enough combat sport can't stick with the original divisions anymore.

In boxing for those who doN't watch, we even have the characteristics of some divisions by now. I mean if you look at the lowest 3-4 divisions they are usually full of Japans that's rather because their size but we also have divisions like super middleweight or cruiserweight two divisions which are bigger divisions but not glamour divisions in the US so both of these are rather Europe oriented, mostly British, German in smw and Eastern European in cruiser. Of course there are exceptions like Andre Ward or Holyfield, American fighters who ruled these divisions but overall these are easily more popular and get more attention in Europe than in the US. Just look at the World Boxing Super Series line up.

Based on this you can expect some MMA divisions going on the same route but idk how "worldwide" is MMA yet...