The story behind Nas’Death of Escobar album

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I always thought Death Of Escobar was the album that ended up becoming Gods Son. Nas was dissing the entire industry and spilling secrets and shyt and when he changed direction he had Salaam Remi erase the tapes so they would never leak

One of the songs was called “Crabs In A Barrel” and the one that was supposed to be especially heinous was called “The Toy”

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I always thought Death Of Escobar was the album that ended up becoming Gods Son. Nas was dissing the entire industry and spilling secrets and shyt and when he changed direction he had Salaam Remi erase the tapes so they would never leak

One of the songs was called “Crabs In A Barrel” and the one that was supposed to be especially heinous was called “The Toy”

and fukk Hot

about the 2002 incident where he wanted to lynch Jay which was wild and they shut him down

DOE was the original Lost Tapes

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nas was dissing the entire industry and spilling secrets and shyt and when he changed direction he had Salaam Remi erase the tapes so they would never leak

I remember Nas or Stoute or somebody comparing it to the President of the United States using the Football (Nuclear War Football) and just declaring war on the whole industry, by name. It was probably smart for Nas to have them erase it completely.

Trace

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY

I really want to hear these songs. Wish that groupbuy shyt was working out a bit faster.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps

And Eminem of all people told Nas that it wasn't a good idea.

Imagine if that had actually leaked and never were erased?

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
People have been spreading this lie around online forever.

Death of Escobar was actually a bunch of tracks that were recorded for the original version of I Am, that was bootlegged and leaked back in '98. None of the songs on it were new with the exception of 2-3 tracks that Nas never finished. They were all in the vault because the label made Nas record mad new tracks for what would become the retail version of I Am, that we have now. None of this was recorded for Stillmatic. He hadn't even started up on Nastradamus yet.

After the songs got scrapped, there were bootlegs of what was being called DOE being sold on the streets. Dudes took mp3's of the OG version of I Am, and made up an album with the tracks that didn't make the retail album. Sony picked up on that and wanted to make a "real" version of that bootleg album to capitalize on the hype and the songs they weren't eating off of that were supposed to be on I Am. So they started trying to make an album based off the bootleg, but said they would add "new" songs that weren't on the bootleg. When that didn't happen, Nas ended up recording two more albums before the label decided to take some of the old joints to package it up as The Lost Tapes.

DOE was never a real album. That sh*t was a made up bootleg and title that Sony was too slow to catch up on. Then when they finally did, they tried to legitimize it by saying the album was coming with the same title as the bootleg, but the streets already had it and didn't want/need a retail. So they tried to clean up the situation and save face by dropping The Lost Tapes, with joints everyone already had for 4-5 years.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I remember reading around 2000/2001 online (:flabbynsick:) they were various titles for the next Nas album and that he was releasing stuff from the vault including what never made it to I am. Album titles bounced around were Death of Escobar, Stillmatic, Nastalgic

At one point I distinctly remember the plan was going to be a new Nas album with a bonus CD of stuff in the vault (Basically Stillmatic and then Lost Tapes as a bonus CD) and that was gonna be called DOE according to online folks but that was probably rumour or plans

The weird thing is Vibe actually ended up doing a review of Death of Escobar (which had to have been some bootleg or some advance of what was later Lost Tapes)

Looking at the review its definetly a mixtape with the unrelesed stuff and then things like Foulness which this version had to be during the era he would record stuff specifically for Clue

NAS%2BDOE%2BVibe%2BFeb%2B2001.jpg

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I remember Nas or Stoute or somebody comparing it to the President of the United States using the Football (Nuclear War Football) and just declaring war on the whole industry, by name. It was probably smart for Nas to have them erase it completely.
Yeah cause it probably would have hurt feelings.

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Yo @Pop123 @Ziggiy Sacred is the flesh was supposed to come out in 2001 too. What if Death of Escobar was his swan song out the industry and he was trying to move on to movies but decided against it at the last minute.