The UK’s CMA has expressed concern that Microsoft‘s Activision merger could “significantly weaken” PlayStation (Updated with lawyer breakdown)

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Microsoft doesn't allow PlayStation Plus on Xbox (page 14)

Third, Microsoft argues that demand for multi-game subscription services would not tip towards Game Pass because Microsoft would also make Game Pass available on PlayStation(Microsoft,para.1.3(g)). Butthewideravailabilityoftheleadingprovider (Game Pass), now endowed with exclusive irreplaceable content, and protected by direct and indirect network effects, would makes it harder – not easier – for rival multi-game subscription services to compete. Microsoft's stance that Game Pass availability on PlayStation would be a panacea for the harm from this Transaction rings particularly hollow given that Microsoft does not permit PlayStation Plus to be available on Xbox.

In fact, one argument from MS that I liked about subscription services is that it's hard to foreclose other services (PS+ or Nintendo) when those platforms don't offer Gamepass. In other words, Gamepass, PS Plus or Nintendo Online are not directly competing right now because they are only available on the corresponding device:

:patrice:

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I wonder if a concession is COD can't appear on a subscription service unless its on a competing service. However, can they enforce that? Also would cost Sony a good amount of money to cover the loss of Playstation sales by having COD on PS+

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
There's going to be some concessions with the way this has dragged. Unlike America, other western/1st world countries are too keen on companies buying shyt up, esp things already established. Euros are BIG on that kinda shyt being a no no for them.

It's still going through IMO, but to what extent is going to be the question. Concessions will probably have to be made in order to clear in Europe. We'll see in March when the next go round of yapping occurs. All this other shyt is just people's opinions, especially those who haven't even stepped foot outside of the US. Euros are not as Corporatocracy ran as the US is. :snooze:

No it won't and I bet you. Sony entire argument is based on one game where compeittiors say it isn't an issue. Microsoft already offered 10 years but Sony don't want that you know what they want???

The game not to be on Gamepass which will not happen. The game will be on Gamepass and Sony need to suck it up. All their arguments is based on bad business practices that they placed on themselves. Once those lawyers get involved they will lose.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
No it won't and I bet you. Sony entire argument is based on one game where compeittiors say it isn't an issue. Microsoft already offered 10 years but Sony don't want that you know what they want???

The game not to be on Gamepass which will not happen. The game will be on Gamepass and Sony need to suck it up. All their arguments is based on bad business practices that they placed on themselves. Once those lawyers get involved they will lose.

I have no problems with the game being on GP.

Leasy

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
I have no problems with the game being on GP.

Sony does they don't want COD on Gamepass at all. You see they haven't responded to Xbox offer of 10 years which is ridiculous by the way in a business point of view. They need to accept the lost because this pandering is embarrassing. The company wants to be bought and all Activision games will appear on more platforms than previously.

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Sony does they don't want COD on Gamepass at all. You see they haven't responded to Xbox offer of 10 years which is ridiculous by the way in a business point of view. They need to accept the lost because this pandering is embarrassing. The company wants to be bought and all Activision games will appear on more platforms than previously.

That's what we "hear". Lots of people are injecting their agendas into the shyt.

Again, I do think it will pass eventually and all this fake outrage will go away.

Leasy

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
That's what we "hear". Lots of people are injecting their agendas into the shyt.

Again, I do think it will pass eventually and all this fake outrage will go away.

Yeah but come on you know that is the issue with Sony they don't want it on Gamepass as well as missing those 400 million a year income. It's embarrassing because they made it about one game when there are numerous other titles that will be owned by Microsoft. This is Sony fault. They had shooters but is mesmerize by 3rd person interactive single player non-longevity titles.

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Yeah but come on you know that is the issue with Sony they don't want it on Gamepass as well as missing those 400 million a year income. It's embarrassing because they made it about one game when there are numerous other titles that will be owned by Microsoft. This is Sony fault. They had shooters but is mesmerize by 3rd person interactive single player non-longevity titles.

Some concessions will get made for it to go through since Kotick, I mean Microsoft, has a lot riding on it.

But if it does fall apart, I'm gonna laugh. (again, don't think it will).

Buying an established IP instead of developing your own? What has MS done in that area? They USED TO have an IP that rivaled Call Of Duty that was internal, but fukked it off. :yeshrug:

Sony just bought Bungie, but had specific language in their contract to keep it multiplatform. Why can't MS do the same? :ld:
Activision doesn't and didn't even want it on Gamepass. So I guess Sony's logic is we aren't keeping Destiny away from Xbox and making it available only on PS Plus Day 1. Why not do the same for CoD???? Again, just my opinion on the rationale since precedence is there with Destiny.

Last edited:

Leasy

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
Some concessions will get made for it to go through since Kotick, I mean Microsoft, has a lot riding on it.

But if it does fall apart, I'm gonna laugh. (again, don't think it will).

Buying an established IP instead of developing your own? What has MS done in that area? They USED TO have an IP that rivaled Call Of Duty that was internal, but fukked it off. :yeshrug:

Sony just bought Bungie, but had specific language in their contract to keep it multiplatform. Why can't MS do the same? :ld:
Activision doesn't and didn't even want it on Gamepass. So I guess Sony's logic is we aren't keeping Destiny away from Xbox and making it available only on PS Plus Day 1. Why not do the same for CoD???? Again, just my opinion on the rationale since precedence is there with Destiny.

Microsoft already stated it was going to be multiplatform. We all know Microsoft not letting a dollar go away. It will be day 1 on gamepass but for purchase on Sony PC. Sony don't want Gamepass to grow because it will have to force their hand and spend money on more titles per year

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

BRUSSELS, Nov 28 (Reuters) - Microsoft (MSFT.O) is likely to offer remedies to EU antitrust regulators in the coming weeks to stave off formal objections to its $69 billion bid for "Call of Duty" maker Activision Blizzard (ATVI.O), people familiar with the matter said.

The deadline for the European Commission, which is investigating the deal, to set out a formal list of competition concerns known as a statement of objection is in January. Offering remedies before such a document is issued could shorten the regulatory process.

Microsoft's remedy would consist mainly of a 10-year licensing deal to Playstation owner Sony, another person with direct knowledge said.

The EU competition watchdog, which is scheduled to decide on the deal by April 11, declined to comment.

Microsoft said it was working with the Commission to address valid marketplace concerns.

"Sony, as the industry leader, says it is worried about Call of Duty, but we've said we are committed to making the same game available on the same day on both Xbox and PlayStation. We want people to have more access to games, not less," a Microsoft spokesperson said.

break-it-down-mc-hammer.gif

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park

Reuters is reporting that the deal has cleared unconditionally in Serbia.

The deal has been cleared unconditionally in Brazil, Saudi Arabia and Serbia.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Reuters is reporting that the deal has cleared unconditionally in Serbia.

The deal has been cleared unconditionally in Brazil, Saudi Arabia and Serbia.

Now it just needs to pass in a country that isn’t a war torn hellscape