The Warriors Won Too Much, Too Soon.

Archangel

Banned
Daps
Heard this angle on the radio today and wanted to discuss it.
Two seasons ago, they finished 51-31. The next season, Steve Kerr 1st year, NBA Champs, Curry MVP. This year, Curry unanimous MVP, 73 wins. This team never had to struggle. No adversity. No heartbreaking moments. This is cool and all, I mean they are really good right? But this is a hollow team in the sense that they aren't made up of anything substantial. No foundation. Just all gloss and glitter.

A champion, whether in the world or in professional sports, is made up of immense failure and heartbreak. Disappointment. Remember Saban? Dolphins? Now he reigns at Bama.

What about Belichick? Remember the Browns? A failure. Now he's one of the GOAT coaches.

MJ? Celtics, Pistons? They killed him every year. Heartbreak molded him into the GOAT. How can MJ never win unanimous MVP, but we're quick to give it to Curry?

LeBron? Celtics, Spurs, Pistons? He suffered and overcame.

Kobe after Shaq? Phoenix, Spurs? Kobe battled hard to get back.

The Warriors don't know how to respond to hardship and pain of this magnitude because they've been given the crown too soon. They literally went from good one year, to "the GOAT team" and "Curry is better than MJ, Kobe, LBJ" the next year. You don't become successful in life without having to suffer first. Thats what builds character. Thats what builds a true champion; experience.

When you order a steak, you don't want some mid 20's millennial cooking it. You want a seasoned chef who's been in the kitchen for 30 years because he's been around the block and has great experience. These Warriors have none.
They skipped their way to a ring last year and all praise to them. You play whose in front of you. But its biting them in the back now.

Curry's not hurt, he's just folding under pressure because he doesn't know how to handle it. Draymond's not distracted, he's simply ineffective if Curry and Klay are struggling. He's just a glorified role player like Bruce Bowen. These Warriors are like Paris Hilton or Johnny Manziel, rich spoiled kids whom never had to work for anything. We crowned them too soon.

KD and Sabo have clawed their way back because they are hungrier. They've endured heartbreak after heartbreak and are in position to unseat the defending champs.

*******Cliffnotes : The Warriors never had to endure tough defeats like the GOATS before them and were crowned too soon. Now they suffer because of it and don't know how to respond.

Last edited:

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The premise of this is dumb. Has nothing to do with "winning too much too soon". They're losing because the Thunder have vastly outplayed them in practically every facet. Nothing more, nothing less.

Magic Johnson won Finals MVP as a rookie. Larry Bird got his 1st ring in year 2. Tim Duncan won his 1st ring in his second season. Wade in year 3.

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
They had to struggle, they lost to the Spurs 4-2, came back the next season and would have definitely beaten the Clippers had Bogut not gotten hurt, they lost a tough 7 game series where you caught a glimpse of what they could be. They suffered through all of Curry's ankle injuries and losing that led to them getting lottery picks in Barnes & Thompson, it didn't happen overnight for them.

It's not much different than the Cavs having a 45-37 season, then the next year they explode and go 66-16. You can say they peaked too soon this season, where as the Thunder have put it together at the right time.

Archangel

Banned
Daps
The premise of this is dumb. Has nothing to do with "winning too much too soon". They're losing because the Thunder have vastly outplayed them in practically every facet. Nothing more, nothing less.

Magic Johnson won Finals MVP as a rookie. Larry Bird got his 1st ring in year 2. Tim Duncan won his 1st ring in his second season. Wade in year 3.

I didn't mention any of those players because they are outliers and thats what happens when you play with HOF's. Magic had Kareem. Bird had McHale, Dennis and Parish. Wade had Shaq. Tim had Robinson. What I'm saying is, these Warriors don't compare to those teams and players I mentioned because they never had to endure the pain of defeat like they did and because of it, they are down 3-1.

But even still, Magic lost in the finals. Bird lost in the finals. Duncan lost in the finals. Wade lost in the finals and even missed the playoffs in his prime so your argument is kinda void because they all endured great heartbreak and had to work very hard to win.

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I didn't mention any of those players because they are outliers and thats what happens when you play with HOF's. Magic had Kareem. Bird had McHale, Dennis and Parish. Wade had Shaq. Tim had Robinson. What I'm saying is, these Warriors don't compare to those teams and players I mentioned because they never had to endure the pain of defeat like they did and because of it, they are down 3-1.

But even still, Magic lost in the finals. Bird lost in the finals. Duncan lost in the finals. Wade lost in the finals and even missed the playoffs in his prime so your argument is kinda void because they all endured great heartbreak and had to work very hard to win.

With the exception of Magic, they were all the best players on their team. And in Bird's case: Dennis Johnson wasn't on the team yet and Kevin McHale was just a rookie averaging 10 points a game.

And even if I play along with your argument, how have the Warriors never endured defeat? Curry's first 3 years they were in the lottery, then his 4th year they finally make the playoffs but are out in the 2nd round against a vet Spurs team that would go on to make back to back Finals. The next year they come back and are bounced in the 1st round by the Clippers in a hard fought 7 game series.

Magic hadn't lost in the Finals at that point. Neither had Bird. Neither had Duncan. Neither had Wade. All of that came after the fact.