There are too many 808/Electronic beats used now a days

Kyree

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Amsterdam
this is exactly what im talkin about :snoop: sure the 808 BANGS but the song doesnt have bounce that makes you say DAM thats my shyt its to slow and boring it puts me to :deadmanny: personally
Exactly it makes hip-hop very bland and generic to listen to. As much as I dig Kendrick Lamar, the production he spits on is pretty meh.

VS

I take sample based production over electronic based all day every day.

Daps
Yeh the sound is a bit overused/oversaturated at the moment....but Metro' Boomin' and em are making some real dope shyt

Skimmed thru that Future tape when it dropped, didnt grab me.....saw dudes on here talking it up, decided to listen again....been playing it
front to back a few times a week for the past month :banderas:
I fukk with trap/ATL artists heavy tho, so....:yeshrug:

osama bin fly

al shabab
Daps
Reppin
Paree
ok now lemme ask you a question if you was at a family reunion or a cookout with everyone in your family would you want them to play that scary as trap music sounding like somebody gonna die or something that got good music vibe with bounce to it like will smith summertime :banderas:
if you were at a family cookout would you play shook ones pt 2 or *insert happy uptempo song from the 2010s here*
stop with the double standard

Daps
ok now lemme ask you a question if you was at a family reunion or a cookout with everyone in your family would you want them to play that scary as trap music sounding like somebody gonna die or something that got good music vibe with bounce to it like will smith summertime :banderas:

No.

It's not all I listen to....I'm 33 and been listening to rap heavy since I was 10....I got mad shyt in the stash, I wouldnt be forcing my pops
to listen to Future's leaned out ass rap bout Xanax and Maison Margiela at a family cookout :lolbron:

I'd probably throw something mild on....Drake, Kanye...even better let my pops listen to his old school stuff, I listen to rap at least 3 hours a day anyways, so...

EDIT: Good call on Summertime tho. Classic, Timeless track

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Samples are expensive....clearance is a muthaphukka

That's why this influx of trap beats exists

And fukk Joey Badass this lil nikka was 3 when DMX was out ...

Why restore an outdated sound you never witnessed ? At least Troy Ave was old enough to experience G unit & Dipset

Flex Kavana

Banned
Daps
Labels aint trying pay for samples anymore. With the internet days it would be easy to find the sample and news spreads to the original artist, who then can sue. Alchemist use to dig crates overseas in europe looking for records with dope samples, knowing that if he would come back and chop them, it would be hard to find out.

Last edited:

PlainSight

Anon
Daps
Reppin
UK
The reason why sample based instrumentals aren't promoted as much is because samples cost money.

Also, me personally - I liked the trap sound a lot actually, especially when there are other electronic elements added into the mix. Chilltrap and Trapstep I liked. The sound is getting played out though - the few beats I've been making recently have had that same 1/32 and 1/24 hi-hat sound and it's even starting to annoy me now :russ:

To me, there should be a balance. I'd hate for everything to all start sounding like Joey Bada$$ beats, much as I love his choice of instrumentals. We should also be trying to make more hybrid sounds. I'd love to hear Dilla-style trap or more of what El-P does, where he makes 90s sounding Hip Hop with just synths. Future Bass is the next stage for me - XXYYXX, Lapalux and Flying Lotus comes to mind.

Flex Kavana

Banned
Daps
The reason why sample based instrumentals aren't promoted as much is because samples cost money.

Also, me personally - I liked the trap sound a lot actually, especially when there are other electronic elements added into the mix. Chilltrap and Trapstep I liked. The sound is getting played out though - the few beats I've been making recently have had that same 1/32 and 1/24 hi-hat sound and it's even starting to annoy me now :russ:

To me, there should be a balance. I'd hate for everything to all start sounding like Joey Bada$$ beats, much as I love his choice of instrumentals. We should also be trying to make more hybrid sounds. I'd love to hear Dilla-style trap or more of what El-P does, where he makes 90s sounding Hip Hop with just synths. Future Bass is the next stage for me - XXYYXX, Lapalux and Flying Lotus comes to mind.

Plus it fits with how hip-hop is moving more pop, so samples wouldn't be needed. Club bangers don't need samples. Look it how Mustard is doing.

PlainSight

Anon
Daps
Reppin
UK
Plus it fits with how hip-hop is moving more pop, so samples wouldn't be needed. Club bangers don't need samples. Look it how Mustard is doing.

I always used to see producers who only use samples and MPCs disparage young musicians who used FL Studio and Midi Keyboards to make their beats - and as much as I grew into sampling and I loved a good sample beat, it always kinda infuriated me to see them dismissed because it's not "real hip hop", and using MIDI Keyboards is somehow not the essence? Composition is the fundamental conduit of all music. Without composition, you don't even have the samples to make the beats on your MPC.

This is something I made in 2007/08, and what I did was composed something, mixed it to make it sound old and then sampled it myself. Soon enough, people were asking me where I got the sample from, and I smiled because it was me that I had sampled. There are many things you can do with composition, so you don't always need samples to make a dope old school sounding beat, and conversely, you don't have to make the same shyt everyone else is making to make a hit either. Usually something builds up buzz on an underground tip before it hits the charts. Look at the recent House revival.

PlainSight

Anon
Daps
Reppin
UK
Damn nikka that shyts hot why people like you not making beat on the mainstream the only thing i gotta say is arrangement is key son thats how i can spot an amateur music producer if you drop some instruments out here n there during the chorus and verse you would have a complete song build anticipation in the brain its very repetitive keep up the good work :salute:

Appreciate that bro :myman:

Arrangement is very key. I've been a self-taught pianist since I was 3 but recently been getting piano lessons from a grade 8 and really made me appreciate this particular component, particularly where dynamics and tension are concerned. Difference between now and 2008 of course :win: