There are too many 808/Electronic beats used now a days

DrHackenbush

Happy wars/sad love songs
Daps
Harry Fraud is dope because his sound is a good mixture of old and new..has the old dusty samples but with the newer drum patterns

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
i hate to bring up the facts but theres a reason why in the past 5 years no black artist besides beyonce pharell and rihanna have had #1 hits on the billboard and im not talkin hip hop i mean the real billboard its because of these trap beats and the reasons are
#1 their very slow you cant dance to it the only people who dance to trap songs are strippers so all night in the club you see nikkas in the corner like :lupe: not even dancing with the females

#2 their very scary sounding lately mike will and alot of these other producers making horror movie beats and thats not marketable in mainstream thats why you only hear them on worldstar rappers who have weak ass mixtapes:demonic:

#3 the drum patterns are all the same i think i speak for everybody when i say i thought bands will make her dance and pour it up throw it up were the same fukking songs :aicmon:

and now dj mustard is already played out with his 3 sounds :camby:
Plus rep for the horror piece, I feel that way about a lot of these beats, especailly those that incorporate that alarm sound. These shyts are demonic when you listen to too many of them. Furute's monster tape is aprime example no can't sit thru that in one sitting because I come out thinking redrum

Yoda

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Hip Hop
Plus rep for the horror piece, I feel that way about a lot of these beats, especailly those that incorporate that alarm sound. These shyts are demonic when you listen to too many of them. Furute's monster tape is aprime example no can't sit thru that in one sitting because I come out thinking redrum

then i guess you arent a fan of 90s memphis rap?

PlainSight

Anon
Daps
Reppin
UK
I can't compose for shyt

Theory is your friend :obama:

Youtube got all kinds of piano lessons online and improv lessons and shyt. If you can afford lessons that would be good too. Best thing I can say is just to keep doing it, You will hate your early works but as you get on, you'll start to get better and you'll like your own shyt too. No great secret to composing, it's just your expression of music.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
the drum is what give beats their bounce

and a lot of those trap beats don't have swing on them, because producers don't understand what a grove is

and that less is more

sampling is hip hop, because the sample sound gives the music that texture, that live music doesn't have

but you can easily create your own samples

hire studio musicians to play rifts, and come up with melodies you can chop on your own, and you won't have to worry about sample clearances or anybody else have that sample

but the drums are the most important

a lot of these beats you can't even rap to because they don't have rhythm, and that's why a lot of these new rappers rap off beat or sound like it, because the beats have no grove and you can just go rap in a straight line without any type of low to be on beat, but it's mechanical

the Fresh Prince of Bel Air theme song got more bounce than drake shyt, and big sean

don't believe, just rap the lyrics in your head, and you can hear the bounce, the melody, without the beat even being there

black people losing their soul

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Won't say I'm not a fan, I can listen to a track here or there, but that's not what I grew up with and not something I have a huge collection of. I'm from Cali, we were about the funk, the groove, the laid back, even mob style rap from the bay still had funky kicks, shyt wasn't nonstop dark demonic filth. Don't get me wrong, I get turned up to a dope trap beat, but yea, that shyt is not friendly music and it never puts me in a positive state of mine

Yoda

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Hip Hop
Won't say I'm not a fan, I can listen to a track here or there, but that's not what I grew up with and not something I have a huge collection of. I'm from Cali, we were about the funk, the groove, the laid back, even mob style rap from the bay still had funky kicks, shyt wasn't nonstop dark demonic filth. Don't get me wrong, I get turned up to a dope trap beat, but yea, that shyt is not friendly music and it never puts me in a positive state of mine

i see what your saying alotta trap tapes these days are boring.
but when it is done right (Like a future or rich homie quan) its :lawd: status

DoomzdayzV

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I cant remember the last time I heard a flow/beat combo that just sounded straight RAW. Some shyt like:

Ghpstface

Kanye West fan
Daps
Reppin
Ice Cream Castle
if you were to play your mother or grandma a metro boomin beat she would be like boy wth hell you listening to :usure: that shyt has bad demonic energy to it i feel like i just heard a michael myers theme song :leon:
somebody in their 20's shouldnt have the same taste in music as their mother or grandmother ... shyt if it aint gospel my mom and grandma aint tryin to hear it anyway :skip:

Tom Foolery

You're using way too many napkins.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boardwalk and Park Place
Nothing wrong with trap. The problem is everyone got access to the trap sound because of computers. No quality control.

Three 6 Mafia birth all these lil' nikkas and got no recognition for it.

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
thats what im talking about sure trap beats BANG but the drum patterns is sum of the most uninspiring boring shyt ive ever heard from the hip hop genre
when i talk about BOUNCE I MEAN DRUM PATTERNS THAT MAKE YOU BOP YOUR HEAD LIKE WE DO UP NORTH 1:49 FOR EXAMPLE THATS BOUNCE

Post of the year.

Timbaland is so ahead of his time it's mindboggling. Even today, I'll go to a club and they'll play Mustard/turn up shyt, then play "Big Pimpin". And Big Pimpin will fit right in. Won't sound dated. Has that "hands in the air" bounce but far more beautiful.

The reality is that the kids born in the 70s and 80s were way more rebellious than the ones now. Our stuff had a ton of personality. We live in the robot generation; from beats to flows to concepts.

Y'all don't really get 'swing'. And every coast had its own swing till stuff got watered the fukk down.

And for those that wanna say I'm stuck in the past (which couldn't be further from the truth), here's some swing for ya. It's slower (which is Rocky's style in general) but the funkiness is very much there: