Tim Duncan has 5 rings why isn’t he ever mentioned in top 5

DetroitEWarren

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit You bytch Ass nikka
Boring on and off the court, that's literally the main reason.

Somewhat overrated to me due to us never bring able to see him lead a bad team and what that would look like.

Tbh, like Bird and Magic he always had a great team and great coaching around him. It's not his fault but we never got to see any of them with a bad team and putting up crazy numbers (Bird numbers are crazy in his prime doe). It's not necessarily something I hold against players but it will definitely affect your all time ranking :yeshrug:

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
Because he played many years past his prime, many people forgot how good he was in his prime.

His prime years were 1997-2008. During this time, he was a dominant two-way player. If people are being honest, there have been very few players in history who would have been clearly superior choices to build teams around than this version of Duncan.

From 2009-2016 Duncan was still really good, but no longer the dominant player he once was.

I think Kareem was underrated for a long time for similar reasons (the Larry Holmes version of Kareem was what most people remembered).
Yup some people saw his later years and revised his whole career as just “ solid”. He was dominant

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Best power forward I ever seen and I’m 41 years old.

why is it only lebron Jordan Kobe l? I swear basketball discussions are so mid.

I wouldn't say he's "never" mentioned as Top 5. He definitely gets Top 5 shout-outs here and there, Artest just called him the second greatest player ever earlier this week...

When you start evaluating his work against others, both his peak and prime come out at lower levels than a number of guys who did it at a bigger level, so that hurts him. There's always gonna be a segment of The Culture who hold that "system player" shyt against him too...

Personally, I'm not sure he has a strong case at Top 5 anyway, because rings aren't the major or main factor, just part of a slew of criteria. Mikan had 5 rings and went undefeated in Finals, and was The Man for all 5, so why isn't he mentioned as Top 5?

So I dont get the pitying of Duncan...

He has a case at Top 5, it just isn't a terribly strong one...

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Considered the best ever at his position

5 rings...
3 times finals mvp...
2 time mvp...
15 time all nba selection...
15 time all defensive selection...

Seems like a top 5 player to me... Timmy Lebron and Jordan...you can make the case for any order 1 - 3
People got the nerve to say that’s not elite. Do they win 5 rings without him? Anybody think manu who can’t even get off the bench and tony Parker was gonna get it done? Spurs were a ducking lottery team without Duncan and never not a championship contender since.

only a fool would not put the goat of one of the five positions, as one of the goats

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Even tho he's a clown, I agree with Bob Ryan in saying you need to separate bigs from wings when discussing top 10