Tim Duncan has 5 rings why isn’t he ever mentioned in top 5

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Top 5 isn't really a thing. It's just whether you're elite elite elite top of the line best of the best or not.

Duncan qualifies as one of those elite elite elite top of the line best of the best. All that matters in terms of respect.

Outside of Jordan clearly being the GOAT, Top 5 is really just "I like this player more, he was in a better situation, or he played for a highly visible team that everyone liked". Doesn't really matter. We all know who the 15 or so best players ever are and the order is pretty much what you want it to be.

Hakeem being "#7th" doesn't mean anything. Curry being "#11th" doesn't mean anything. Kobe being "8th" doesn't mean anything.

They were/are all really fukking amazing and that's that.

B1G_controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
Considered the best ever at his position

5 rings...
3 times finals mvp...
2 time mvp...
15 time all nba selection...
15 time all defensive selection...

Seems like a top 5 player to me... Timmy Lebron and Jordan...you can make the case for any order 1 - 3

He wasn't better than Kob

Saw them play too many times and Kobe was the best player on the court more times than not

Also, Kob was 4-2 against him in the offs

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
He’s the best big man I’ve ever seen play. :manny:
I take him over Shaq any day. I honestly can’t think of a single big man that I’d take over Duncan.
Again I can only comment on players I’ve seen in their primes (and so should you)

The_Third_Man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
he was too consistent if that makes sense lol. with exception of 2001-2003, he was 21 & 11 for the rest of his career. He didn't have too many terrible games, but didn't have too many really great games either. I don't know if it was him, or the spurs system, but he wasn't as dominant as other superstars.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
How is he overrated. In a era with dirk, Webber , Garnett , sheed, Bosh, Elton, mcdyess where power forwards dominated the game Duncan was by far the best one
He wasn’t a PF. He was a C. He was a power, low post player and only played PF because they had D-Rob. From about ‘07 on he mostly played the 5. It’s not fair to compare him to true 4’s.

He doesn’t have the career he did if he wasn’t on the Spurs. He hardly had to ramp up his scoring volume and that wasn’t the case for other greats. He was a somewhat weak outside shooter who relied on a bank shot and his play style was slow as hell. Which makes me wonder how’d he translate in faster paced teams/eras and or with a high usage player next to him.

His Finals competition was also weak as fukk. He faced the worst competition out the All-Timers.

‘99 Knicks, ‘03 Nets, ‘07 Cavs these are some of the worst Finals teams in history and even the ‘14 Heat were running on fumes after three straight Finals...

‘05 Pistons held him to 41% FG and Ginobili arguably deserved MVP. He wasn’t the Finals MVP in ‘07 (TP) and ‘14 (Kawhi) either and had they won in ‘13 it’s possible Danny Green would have been Finals MVP as funny as it is to say that.

Food for thought :hubie:

malbaker86

Gators
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, FL
he was too consistent if that makes sense lol. with exception of 2001-2003, he was 21 & 11 for the rest of his career. He didn't have too many terrible games, but didn't have too many really great games either. I don't know if it was him, or the spurs system, but he wasn't as dominant as other superstars.

he made his mark come the post season time

Trot LaRoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi/LA
Top 5 isn't really a thing. It's just whether you're elite elite elite top of the line best of the best or not.

Duncan qualifies as one of those elite elite elite top of the line best of the best. All that matters in terms of respect.

Outside of Jordan clearly being the GOAT, Top 5 is really just "I like this player more, he was in a better situation, or he played for a highly visible team that everyone liked". Doesn't really matter. We all know who the 15 or so best players ever are and the order is pretty much what you want it to be.

Hakeem being "#7th" doesn't mean anything. Curry being "#11th" doesn't mean anything. Kobe being "8th" doesn't mean anything.

They were/are all really fukking amazing and that's that.

Agree with this.....either you're elite or not, all the other shyt is just stan war shyt. It's all subjective
He’s the best big man I’ve ever seen play. :manny:
I take him over Shaq any day. I honestly can’t think of a single big man that I’d take over Duncan.
Again I can only comment on players I’ve seen in their primes (and so should you)

Hakeem was better easily. He could elevate his games to levels TD couldn't and didnt

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
Best power forward I ever seen and I’m 41 years old.

why is it only lebron Jordan Kobe l? I swear basketball discussions are so mid.
Cause he was a center that played PF his whole career.

His accomplishments are slightly phony. All he did was take advantage of smaller guys.

Imagine if Hakeem, David Robinson, or Shaq got to play PF

AlbertPullhoez

The Takeover
Daps
Reppin
Deuce Dime, TX
He wasn’t a PF. He was a C. He was a power, low post player and only played PF because they had D-Rob. From about ‘07 on he mostly played the 5. It’s not fair to compare him to true 4’s.

He doesn’t have the career he did if he wasn’t on the Spurs. He hardly had to ramp up his scoring volume and that wasn’t the case for other greats. He was a somewhat weak outside shooter who relied on a bank shot and his play style was slow as hell. Which makes me wonder how’d he translate in faster paced teams/eras and or with a high usage player next to him.

His Finals competition was also weak as fukk. He faced the worst competition out the All-Timers.

‘99 Knicks, ‘03 Nets, ‘07 Cavs these are some of the worst Finals teams in history and even the ‘14 Heat were running on fumes after three straight Finals...

‘05 Pistons held him to 41% FG and Ginobili arguably deserved MVP. He wasn’t the Finals MVP in ‘07 (TP) and ‘14 (Kawhi) either and had they won in ‘13 it’s possible Danny Green would have been Finals MVP as funny as it is to say that.

Food for thought :hubie:
How wasn't he a PF? Cause he was a beast in the post on offense and a dominant post defender? Every championship he won he had a C next to him (Robinson, Nesterovic, Oberto/Elson, Splitter) just cause he wasn't taking perimeter jumpers all the time like KG, Dirk and C-Webb don't make him less than a PF.

Him not having higher scoring numbers was more due to the offense he played in and him being unselfish enough to let others around him eat. TD got buckets when he needed to
How you gonna say his Finals competition was weak as fukk yet ignore he had to go through the Western Conference at it's absolute toughest for all of his Finals runs? :hhh:

AlbertPullhoez

The Takeover
Daps
Reppin
Deuce Dime, TX
Cause he was a center that played PF his whole career.

His accomplishments are slightly phony. All he did was take advantage of smaller guys.

Imagine if Hakeem, David Robinson, or Shaq got to play PF
PF was tougher and had more talent during TD's career than C was. The center spot was weak as fukk yet PF had Dirk, KG, C-Webb, Amare, Sheed, etc

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
How wasn't he a PF? Cause he was a beast in the post on offense and a dominant post defender? Every championship he won he had a C next to him (Robinson, Nesterovic, Oberto/Elson, Splitter) just cause he wasn't taking perimeter jumpers all the time like KG, Dirk and C-Webb don't make him less than a PF.

Him not having higher scoring numbers was more due to the offense he played in and him being unselfish enough to let others around him eat. TD got buckets when he needed to
How you gonna say his Finals competition was weak as fukk yet ignore he had to go through the Western Conference at it's absolute toughest for all of his Finals runs? :hhh:
He just wasn’t a true PF dog he was a C and is listed as such many seasons on B-R...

Not everyone had the luxury of being unselfish and letting others eat or playing in a system like that.

The West narrative is phony the Finals is the real dance and most of those “tough” West teams had no shot. The Lakers and Spurs ran the West in the 2000’s and packed up a lot of those pretenders without busting a sweat cut the shyt.

AlbertPullhoez

The Takeover
Daps
Reppin
Deuce Dime, TX
He just wasn’t a true PF dog he was a C and is listed as such many seasons on B-R...

Not everyone had the luxury of being unselfish and letting others eat or playing in a system like that.

The West narrative is phony the Finals is the real dance and most of those “tough” West teams had no shot. The Lakers and Spurs ran the West in the 2000’s and packed up a lot of those pretenders without busting a sweat cut the shyt.
How wasn't he a true PF? What the fukk makes a "true" PF? :mjtf: He was versatile enough to play center but he was a PF. Majority of his all star appearances are at the PF spot, all of his titles he won as a PF, he was drafted as a PF.

Nobody calls him a center except for a few remedial Coli nikkas :francis: