Tim Duncan has 5 rings why isn’t he ever mentioned in top 5

mitter

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
One thing is that after 2007 (age 30) I really don’t remember him being that dominant anymore.

MJ and Bron were mvp level players at 35

35 year old LeBron is better than 35 year old Duncan was

But Duncan was better in his early 20s than LeBron was in his early 20s

Duncan had 11 years (1997-2008) as a dominant, MVP-caliber player. It's not like he had a short peak.

Daps
Reppin
Eastside of that Motor
I’ve always said you have to have a Wing top 5-10 and a Big top 5-10. You can’t compare the two.

Similar to something I saw on Twitter a few months ago asking who’s the best football player Brady or Jerry Rice :what:

I hate Timmy cause he cost Pistons a 2nd chip but he’s definitely top 5 big men

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
I think it's for one reason and one reason only...he's too quiet and basically invisible.I don't think that it has anything to do with his position...because guys like Kareem, Shaq al the way down to Magic get brought up consistently

If he was a trash talker and kept himself in the media i honestly think his name would be brought up a lot more.

But Duncan is very quiet, low key guy...he doesn't run around saying "IM THE GOAT" leading to a nightly debate on sports center or first take.

DraymondT

Superstar
Daps
Casuals only know or rank perimeter players wings b/c their style of play is more relatable and entertaining for them to watch than big man play

The average casual fans top 5 is prolly something like

MJ
Kobe
Lebron
Magic
Bird

Even tho the most dominant players historically are mainly bigs and half the top 10 alltime should be centers on any respectable list - Wilt, Kareem, Russell, Shaq, Hakeem

Most these kinds nowadays prolly rank cats like Steph or KD over much better players like Hakeem and Shaq lol

smitty22

Is now part of Thee Alliance. Ill die for this ish
Supporter
Daps
MJ
Cap
Bron
Magic
Russell
Duncan
Shaq
Kobe
Wilt
Bird

My top 10. Wouldn’t argue if somebody got Timmy top 5 though.

Flywin Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Lannister Bloodline
He wasn’t boring

he looked BORED. He was an introvert.

Because he seemed so disengaged and showed 0 personality, it’s hard to be excited

People remember those who make them FEEL a certain way, who they can go on a journey with and Duncan was a “computer”.

Amazing player, who had the body language of someone filling out a form.

DraymondT

Superstar
Daps
duncan, yes

hakeem, no

Hakeem was better than him so that doesnt make much sense

Biggest difference b/w their careers was Duncan started his career in the best possible situation with a top scout (Buford), coach (Pop) and top 5 player in the league who was MVP and DPOY (Robinson). Duncan had much better coaching, drafting, and supporting casts throughout his career

Hakeem had Ralph but he got injured and broke down quick. With Ralph Hakeem made the finals as a sophomore and eliminated the Showtime Lakers in 5 games and took 2 games from a GOAT level team in the 86 Celtics

Houston had one of the worst FOs in the league and they were a cocaine circus with broken down and drugged up men posing as pro basketball players.

Hakeems b2b titles are more impressive than anyone's ever given the strength of opponents, his relatively mediocre supporting case and running through every great big man of his era. Also the only team to win a title as the 5th seed and they was underdogs without HCA for every round going up against 60 win teams every round featuring 2-3 HOFs in their prime while his 2nd option Clyde Drexler was past his prime and Portland traded him, their franchise player, for Otis Thorpe and a 1st rounder

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
The crazy thing is, Shaq and Kobe had each other's help while Duncan faced them every year in the playoffs without another player of that stature. You'd think this would make people appreciate Duncan more.
At least twice, Spurs lost to Lakers in playoffs because David Robinson didn't show up. Duncan could easily have another ring if the Admiral didn't fold against Shaq.

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think it's for one reason and one reason only...he's too quiet and basically invisible.I don't think that it has anything to do with his position...because guys like Kareem, Shaq al the way down to Magic get brought up consistently

If he was a trash talker and kept himself in the media i honestly think his name would be brought up a lot more.

But Duncan is very quiet, low key guy...he doesn't run around saying "IM THE GOAT" leading to a nightly debate on sports center or first take.

Facts

THE MACHINE

night owl
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
More personality during his prime would have him ranked higher by more people. He won 5 rings during Kobe's years and 4 during Shaq's, and 3 with Bron in the league, including 2 against him. 3 fMVP, 2 MVP.
26k points
15k rebounds
3k blocks (5th all-time)

Its unfortunate but thats the way it is. Too many lasting images of him walking to the bench with his head down while Pop is screaming.