Tomb Raider got me :mad:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Inspiration was drawn from various sources in the action and adventure genres: pulp magazines, movie serials, and more contemporary titles likeIndiana Jones and National Treasure. The team felt the sources shared themes of mystery and "what-if scenarios" that romanticized adventure and aimed to include those in Uncharted.

The game was first unveiled at E3 2006. From early previews of the game, inevitable comparisons of elements such as platforming and shooting betweenUncharted and the well-known Tomb Raider series were drawn, earning the title the nickname of "Dude Raider". However, the developers saw their game as concentrating more on third-person cover-based play, in contrast to Tomb Raider's "auto-aiming" play and greater puzzle-solving elements.
http://uncharted.wikia.com/wiki/Uncharted:_Drake's_Fortune

:snooze:

be back in a bit

All Star
Daps
I don't really see any Max Payne 3 influence in Tomb Raider. Gears and Uncharted yeah. Mainly Uncharted though. Some Batman AA too with the gadgets, stealth and unlocking parts of the island stuff.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
So tomb raider was a cover shooter with set pieces like chases, trains, building destruction and also had RPGS, shotguns, snipers and plenty of human enemy soldiers?

All that shyt was in "TR" before the first "Uncharted" game. Every time one of these threads pops up 90% of the people in them ain't even played a "TR" game past the first one.

Cover shooting and building destruction I'll give you but "Uncharted" didn't pioneer either of those, so it's irrelevant.

If people want to argue "Uncharted" didn't bite off "TR" :manny: but to act like the "TR" reboot bit off "Uncharted" is :heh:

Fred.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
All that shyt was in "TR" before the first "Uncharted" game. Every time one of these threads pops up 90% of the people in them ain't even played a "TR" game past the first one.

Cover shooting and building destruction I'll give you but "Uncharted" didn't pioneer either of those, so it's irrelevant.

If people want to argue "Uncharted" didn't bite off "TR" :manny: but to act like the "TR" reboot bit off "Uncharted" is :heh:

Fred.
I didn't say uncharted pioneered that, I'm just saying uncharted isn't a 1:1 copy of tomb raider. The reboot bit off uncharted because again TR wasn't a cover shooter and didn't focus on shooting so much. I don't see why y'all acting oblivious. Tomb raider reboot was less tomb raiding and more uncharted.

The whole pioneering argument is dumb because by saying that it basically is a weak critique towards UC. What game doesn't have any roots from somewhere else.

Have you even played any uncharted?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I didn't say uncharted pioneered that, I'm just saying uncharted isn't a 1:1 copy of tomb raider. The reboot bit off uncharted because again it wasn't a cover shooter and didn't focus on shooting so much. I don't see why y'all acting oblivious. Tomb raider was less tomb raiding and more uncharted.

No one has ever claimed it to be a 1:1 copy, thats silly. What was said is that tomb raider did influence the game, which it did

Uncharted did not create/innovate cover mechanics or shooting a lot, therefore you can't claim tomb raider bit off uncharted. If anything they both bit off the games that did those things before them I:E gears and max payne

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I didn't say uncharted pioneered that, I'm just saying uncharted isn't a 1:1 copy of tomb raider. The reboot bit off uncharted because again TR wasn't a cover shooter and didn't focus on shooting so much. I don't see why y'all acting oblivious. Tomb raider reboot was less tomb raiding and more uncharted.

The whole pioneering argument is dumb because by saying that it basically is a weak critique towards UC. What game doesn't have any roots from somewhere else.

Have you even played any uncharted?

Yes, it plays like a very, very polished version of "Tomb Raider: Legend"....which is what the "TR" reboot plays like, too.

Have you played any "TR" game past the first? There was goons, shooting, vehicles, set pieces, etc. in the 2nd game in the series.

People were complaining about "TR" turning into an action/shooter long before "UC" existed. "Legend" had less tomb raiding before "UC" existed....so to claim the reboot was "more 'Uncharted'" is ridiculous.

Fred.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
No one has ever claimed it to be a 1:1 copy, thats silly. What was said is that tomb raider did influence the game, which it did.
actually it didn't. Naughty dog didn't mention tomb raider as inspiration. You saw the quote?
Uncharted did not create/innovate cover mechanics or shooting a lot, therefore you can't claim tomb raider bit off uncharted. If anything they both bit off the games that did those things before them I:E gears and max payne
Breh who talking about innovation? Uncharted feels unique. The game play in uncharted 2 was amazing and felt different from gears.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yes, it plays like a very, very polished version of "Tomb Raider: Legend"....which is what the "TR" reboot plays like, too.

Have you played any "TR" game past the first? There was goons, shooting, vehicles, set pieces, etc. in the 2nd game in the series.

People were complaining about "TR" turning into an action/shooter long before "UC" existed. "Legend" had less tomb raiding before "UC" existed....so to claim the reboot was "more 'Uncharted'" is ridiculous.

Fred.
And I bet those things were very few and far in between. Uncharted is its own game with it's own feel. Tomb raider feels way less adventurous than uncharted. Show me something like this in the old Tr.

Did you ever play uncharted?