U.S. Charter Schools Produce a Bigger Bang with Fewer Bucks

Uncle Hotep

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Well when your school system only accepts higher achievers of course you'll have a better rate.

If they had to accept everyone like a public school it would be way different.

well that why parents are turning to them.

FukkaPaidEmail

Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora
"Charters are public schools, funded by taxpayers and widely promoted as open to all. But Reuters has found that across the United States, charters aggressively screen student applicants, assessing their academic records, parental support, disciplinary history, motivation, special needs and even their citizenship,"

None of ya'll are parents because all of this is a plus. Put your kid in the best environment to succeed. That means other kids who want to succeed. :sas2:
Real shyt.

Why should a kid who shows up hungry to learn everyday be forced to deal with classmate (s)who show up only to act an ass?

Most shyt about charters is fake news but their screening practices ain't something to be mad at.

DirtyD

Last Time That I Checc'd......
Daps
Reppin
Queens
"Charters are public schools, funded by taxpayers and widely promoted as open to all. But Reuters has found that across the United States, charters aggressively screen student applicants, assessing their academic records, parental support, disciplinary history, motivation, special needs and even their citizenship,"

None of ya'll are parents because all of this is a plus. Put your kid in the best environment to succeed. That means other kids who want to succeed. :sas2:
Why should we want public funds to be used to make private institutions profits for providing education to a segregated disproportionately white group of students, @Uncle Hotep ?

The charts also show how racial makeups have shifted over time. By 2014, a fifth of charter schools were overwhelmingly — more than 90 percent — white. In 1998, less than 10 percent of charters were that way.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...system/?sw_bypass=true&utm_term=.b379c09d4102

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.

DirtyD

Last Time That I Checc'd......
Daps
Reppin
Queens
:dwillhuh:
Isn’t that exactly what’s happening in public schools with majority white schools receiving more funding and better teachers?

So the solution to this problem isn't to attempt to improve tge public schools that serve a larger amount of students it's to give money to private institutions to keep doing the same shyt only worse? Sounds like a good plan. :troll:

Uncle Hotep

Banned
Supporter
Daps
identitarians is an alt-right term
So the solution to this problem isn't to attempt to improve tge public schools that serve a larger amount of students it's to give money to private institutions to keep doing the same shyt only worse? Sounds like a good plan. :troll:

Nobody is stopping us from using charter schools. Y'all shop for school clothes but won't shop for the best schools for your child?

The definition of :mjpls:

DonKnock

KPJ Gonna Save Us
Daps
Reppin
Houston
sure.
its like the NBA somehow has much better players than then Smith elementary intermural team where anyone can just sign up.
:francis:

Was gonna throw out a similar analogy. :wow:

All this shows is that when you have a highly selected sample group it is going to beat out the control group.

public education in the US is in shambles.

money being diverted to charters
public teacher unions corrupt as hell
public education administrations overstaffed, draining money from schools/teachers
testing culture overtaking actual learning
pushing every kid into 4 yr colleges just to pad their own stats

Also touches on many of the points I was going to raise.

:salute:

My project last block dealt with Detroit coming out of its bankruptcy filing. The school system there basically ran the gamut of these issues as well as being essentially the birthplace of this charter school movement.

What was the origin cause of this?

Well back in the 60's and 70's Detroit went through white flight and subsequent litigation [ Milliken v. Bradley - Wikipedia ] that put a stop to busing children that was aimed to jumpstart integration of schools.

Since Milliken v. Bradley (1974), Detroit has continued to be a pioneer in ways to continue these covert segregation measures.

School segregation didn’t go away. It just evolved.

So any of these new "educational reforms" you see coming out of the Detroit area should get the immediate :mjpls:

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
well that why parents are turning to them.

They're free to do so, but to often get in a charter school your child has to already be doing well which is pretty redundant.

Which either says the current public school does the job fine, or the child has it a little easy.

They should accept more students who don't perform as well. Yes their data won't look as pristine, but it's about the kids and less about the money... At least it should be.

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
I don’t believe there’s a viable “solution”. Not at this time at least...

:yeshrug:
I see charters as a great option for parents concerned about their child’s education... and don’t see how removing them helps anyone.
Maybe you could explain what I’m missing?

It seems like some of you in this thread would rather see every child get a lousy public education than to see some of them go to charters and receive better...

Gus Money

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I don’t believe there’s a viable “solution”. Not at this time at least...

:yeshrug:
I see charters as a great option for parents concerned about their child’s education... and don’t see how removing them helps anyone.
Maybe you could explain what I’m missing?

It seems like some of you in this thread would rather see every child get a lousy public education than to see some of them go to charters and receive better...
The problem with charter schools is that they use public money yet don't always have to abide by the same standards as public schools. Charters vary wildly from state to state and even city to city. For every successful charter I can name 2 that flamed out or closed during the school year. They have less accountability and many of them don't follow special education laws. They can also get away with skirting the rules when it comes to suspension or expulsion.

It's a complicated issue and the idea of "school choice" is not that simple. Most parents want some type of protection when things go wrong or they have a problem, but charters don't necessarily provide that (some do, some don't). You may say the same thing applies to public schools but at least with public schools you have some sort of legal recourse. Not always the case with charters.

Also it's not just about funding or "better" teachers. In my hometown the city school spends more per student than many of the suburban schools. The teachers are also the highest paid, but the students have much worse outcomes overall. That's because other poverty related issues that get glossed over in these debates.

Last edited:

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The problem with charter schools is that they use public money yet don't always have to abide by the same standards as public schools. Charters vary wildly from state to state and even city to city. For every successful charter I can name 2 that flamed out or closed during the school year. They have less accountability and many of them don't follow special education laws. They can also get away with skirting the rules when it comes to suspension or expulsion.

It's a complicated issue and the idea of "school choice" is not that simple. Most parents want some type of protection when things go wrong or they have a problem, but charters don't necessarily provide that (some do, some don't). You may say the same thing applies to public schools but at least with public schools you have some sort of legal recourse. Not always the case with charters.

Also it's not just about funding or "better" teachers. In my hometown the city school spends more per student than many of the suburban schools. The teachers are also the highest paid, but the students have much worse outcomes overall. That's because other poverty related issues that get glossed over in these debates.

So you want judicial oversight on private enterprises ?

Hmmm i wonder what's next a union to "protect the teachers" too ?