URL Armageddon - Tsu Surf vs Conceited

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
nikka there is no way possible Cal beat Lux I don't care how you judge it :what: And why cant I judge the second by who had the better bars? because you like surf more? its all up to preference. you the only one with blinders on breh it's clear as day that he stole the subtitles shyt and made it his slogan, you're giving him a lot of excuses. He had the sweatshirt because THAT'S HIS SLOGAN :why: @JMurder
I never said you can't judge the second by who had the better bars...I said that's historically not how we've done it in this thread. Because if that were the case, Lux and Verb would've lost their round 3's because they were light on bars and high on telling a story. So unless you wanna make that decision based on preference and put your blinders on because you like certain battlers better, then set your standard and stick to it.

yeah Lux bars were better period than Cals

I agree. That's not what I said.

You guys automatically shut down anytime someone hints that Lux might have lost. Calm the hell down. I'm not saying that at all. I'm speaking on his third round which is almost completely composed of him speaking on Calicoe pops instead of the bars he brought in round 1 & 2.
Round 1 he would've lost off the choke and round 3 was him just talking real shyt. Do I need to connect the dots for you?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

LilJuicyTaco

Tha Sickest
Daps
I never thought Id see the day when "SMACK/URL" style battle rappers would be criticized for basically having too much lyricism:dwillhuh:

They are using too much wordplay?:what:

Wowwwwwwwwwww:ohhh:

There is more to lyricism than wordplay. They could utilize metaphors, punchlines, entendres, similes, puns, rhyme schemes, subliminals etc. A rapper using the majority of one element shouldn't be applauded because the said rapper is really a one dimensional rapper. The fact that the entire league is being overtaken by one said element over the others doesn't help the genre progress. When 30%+ is about guns, 30%+ is about NFL/NBA and 50%+ is delivered as wordplay, that tells me there's a problem. I don't mean to sound b!tchy about this but I've been into the battles since 2003 and honestly they need to step it up. It's finally starting to get it's proper attention and respect but it's not rising to the occasion.

Bigb41513

I ain’t lying we real San Francisco giants
Daps
Reppin
Bay area
He battled tall t and said he would pass the glock to fox and then what lmao :russ:

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
There is more to lyricism than wordplay. They could utilize metaphors, punchlines, entendres, similes, puns, rhyme schemes, subliminals etc. A rapper using the majority of one element shouldn't be applauded because the said rapper is really a one dimensional rapper. The fact that the entire league is being overtaken by one said element over the others doesn't help the genre progress. When 30%+ is about guns, 30%+ is about NFL/NBA and 50%+ is delivered as wordplay, that tells me there's a problem. I don't mean to sound b!tchy about this but I've been into the battles since 2003 and honestly they need to step it up. It's finally starting to get it's proper attention and respect but it's not rising to the occasion.

Why does "battle rap" need to change for the masses? If you wanna be apart of the battle rap culture, you should adjust to the culture....not the other way around.

I've been following battle rap since Shellz was getting ate by Eyedea (R.I.P) on the Blaze Battle ("I'm here 50 deep.....and we can fight!" lmao) and it's going to ALWAYS remain about the lyrics that true battle rap fans understand (guns/violence/sex/sports)

It sounds like you basically want Smack/URL style rappers to become more "mainstream acceptable" with what they are spitting and I TOTALLY disagree with that. I understand everything that they rap about because I'ma part of this culture, as are most of posting in this thread since it first began on SOHH, and we love it just as it is.

If you want "mainstream battles", go watch 106 and Park's Freestyle Fridays where even Loaded Lux and Hollow Da Don were watered all the way down (compared to their Smack DVD/Grindtime/Lion's Den/Fight Klub battles), and leave this alone to us.

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
In regards to the actual battling...

Do these dudes ever spits 16's and keep it moving anymore? These great american novel deliveries are wack.

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
In regards to the actual battling...

Do these dudes ever spits 16's and keep it moving anymore? These great american novel deliveries are wack.

You want the Fight Klub format back? Where they only rap for about a minute and spit 16 bars at people?:scusthov: I always thought they didnt have enough time to get really in depth with what they were saying.

"60!!!....Fight Klub! Fight Klub! Fight Klub! Fight Klub! Hold it Down!!!! Hold it Down!!" - International P

wtfyomom

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You want the Fight Klub format back? Where they only rap for about a minute and spit 16 bars at people?:scusthov: I always thought they didnt have enough time to get really in depth with what they were saying.

"60!!!....Fight Klub! Fight Klub! Fight Klub! Fight Klub! Hold it Down!!!! Hold it Down!!" - International P

on the low the shiit Swave spit to O Solo was truth when he was like fukk that bullshiit 106 and park and fight klub "someone tell this niggga what it is we do here"

wtfyomom

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I never said you can't judge the second by who had the better bars...I said that's historically not how we've done it in this thread. Because if that were the case, Lux and Verb would've lost their round 3's because they were light on bars and high on telling a story. So unless you wanna make that decision based on preference and put your blinders on because you like certain battlers better, then set your standard and stick to it.

I agree. That's not what I said.

You guys automatically shut down anytime someone hints that Lux might have lost. Calm the hell down. I'm not saying that at all. I'm speaking on his third round which is almost completely composed of him speaking on Calicoe pops instead of the bars he brought in round 1 & 2.
Round 1 he would've lost off the choke and round 3 was him just talking real shyt. Do I need to connect the dots for you?

i understand what youre saying. and Im far from on Lux dikk I thought other than the 3rd his shiiit was overated to me compared to shiit like he spit vs yung miles. but yet he still clearly won.

LilJuicyTaco

Tha Sickest
Daps
Why does "battle rap" need to change for the masses? If you wanna be apart of the battle rap culture, you should adjust to the culture....not the other way around.

I've been following battle rap since Shellz was getting ate by Eyedea (R.I.P) on the Blaze Battle ("I'm here 50 deep.....and we can fight!" lmao) and it's going to ALWAYS remain about the lyrics that true battle rap fans understand (guns/violence/sex/sports)

It sounds like you basically want Smack/URL style rappers to become more "mainstream acceptable" with what they are spitting and I TOTALLY disagree with that. I understand everything that they rap about because I'ma part of this culture, as are most of posting in this thread since it first began on SOHH, and we love it just as it is.

If you want "mainstream battles", go watch 106 and Park's Freestyle Fridays where even Loaded Lux and Hollow Da Don were watered all the way down (compared to their Smack DVD/Grindtime/Lion's Den/Fight Klub battles), and leave this alone to us.

How can you pass off vague sports references, a overuse of wordplay and a overuse of gun punchlines as apart of the culture? lol Gun talk is no different than rappers rhyming about selling crack in 2012, it's old! It's not my fault that these rappers are still stuck in the Webster hall mind frame. The audience may be cheering but the footage will be global once it's thrown online. For many in the international audience the only football they care about is soccer so having 30%+ references to the NFL isn't the best idea. Like I said before though if you are going to go that route at least understand that not everyone is a die hard fan like you and making references to a single game that not everyone watched only alienates you from the audience. Who the hell could argue with that? And I know I'm not the only one who doesn't get all of the sports references. It's understandable that somethings will go by in a battle simply because someone may not know what they are talking about. With that said it doesn't make sense to put all of your eggs in one basket.

The culture is global and I have adjusted, which is why I'm speaking on it. To go further our culture has gone beyond the crack era that these rappers are rapping about, they need to adjust their content to suit that change. It's not like I am the only one who has expressed this sentiment either. These kats is rapping like it's 1993 when so much has been gentrified to the point where their rhymes are obsolete, unrealistic and no longer enjoyable. So, what I am proposing isn't some vast change, sellout move or anything of that nature. It's just a good common sense approach to rapping that appeals to the global culture that battle rap has become instead of just the audience that's present at the time the battle takes place. That's good for business as well as the culture. Ultimately it's a call for these guys to step their pen game up.

The rest of my argument was my take on the lack of emceeing that's taking place as wordplay becomes the new punchline.

If you feel better about yourself because you keep up with sports, or like gun talk that's great but for you to pat yourself on the back and go on and on about culture because of it is idiotic. What, since I'm a young Black male I'm suppose to be into sports like that? FOH Somehow that doesn't make me a fan because I didn't catch the game from week three where such and such fumbled the ball. Again, FOH! You acting like gun talk is some vital aspect of battling just shows your ignorance and to say that I'm not a true battle rap fan because I'm tired of hearing it is just as ignorant. The fact that it's been used for so long only proves my point that it's time for a change, not that it is necessary for battling.

So no, I'm not going to just leave or shut up because you disagree and no my opinion doesn't make me any less of a fan than you because you disagree with it. :dry:

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
i understand what youre saying. and Im far from on Lux dikk I thought other than the 3rd his shiiit was overated to me compared to shiit like he spit vs yung miles. but yet he still clearly won.

I know. We are not disagreeing. At all

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Con style is definitely antiquated.

He still gets "ohhhhs" cause some of his punches are very clever. But he doesn't rap. Like, at all. He just set up, set up, punch.

At least B Magic actually had a delivery and flow.

Sierra Mist

Banned
Daps
*Take slang term*
*Slow it down I just dissed you*
*Repeats line using literal meaning of slang term*

Diyhai

En Causa Sui
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

I think 3 mins the sweet spot
I hate nyggas spitting 5 mins of filler in a 6 min rd