Virgil Hunter: GGG is cherry picking if he fights JCC Jr instead of Ward at 168

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=75300#ixzz2v6LAFPT7
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

Ward's Trainer: Golovkin-Chavez = Picking and Choosing

Posted by: Rick Reeno on 3/5/2014 .
>>>Click Here For Tons of More Breaking Boxing News, Articles and Insider Information<<<

by Rick Reeno

Virgil Hunter, trainer of WBA super middleweight champion Andre Ward (27-0, 14KOs), is very surprised that WBA/IBO middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (29-0, 26KOs) and his team are considering the possibility of moving up in weight to challenge Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. at 168-pounds.

The idea of a Ward-Golovkin showdown has been discussed, numerous times, by both fighters.

Ward is ready to do the fight right now. However, during an interview last month with BoxingScene.com/Allboxing.ru, Golovkin's trainer Abel Sanchez made it clear that his boxer had unfinished business at middleweight and he would rather have Golovkin explore every possible option at 160 - and then consider the possibility of moving up.

"If it were my choice, I would first like to see if all of our avenues are exhausted at middleweight. [WBO champion Peter] Quillin is running. If Quillin just says that he doesn't want to fight with Gennady, then we'll forget about him. If [WBC champion Sergio] Martinez doesn't fight us, then we are left with [Felix] Sturm, who is still a champion [of the IBF]. Because not all of these possibilities have been exhausted, I do not think it is fair to ask Gennady to move up. I would like to see him unify the titles, if that's possible, and then we can move up," Sanchez said.

But, if Golovkin decides to move up in weight for a fight with Chavez Jr. in the fall, Hunter feels very strongly that Golovkin and his camp are simply "picking and choosing" their opponents.

"Before anything, my condolences go out to Golovkin and his entire family on the passing of his father," Hunter told BoxingScene.com.

"The last time a weight issue was mentioned with Golovkin, he said he intended to stay at 160 because there was unfinished business there and they had no intentions of moving up to 168. My take on it is this, if they do move up to 168 [to fight Chavez Jr.] it would give us a clear indication of what's really going - that they are in the picking and choosing business."

"That is going to classify as being in the picking and choosing business, because he said he wanted to stay down at middleweight and had no intentions of moving up to 168. It sorts of reiterates what Andre had said earlier, where it just leaves you scratching your head. We are just going to stay focused on what we do and eventually we hope to meet both of them in the ring."

GGG dont want those problems with the son of God

#SOGGang

:lawd:

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
Clearly. It's almost embarrassing to see GGG avoid Ward like the plague. This dude is like three years older than Ward and he's acting like he's some prospect on the come up. Got a record with wins over some sorry ass fighters too. Moving to 168 to fight Chavez but not ready for Ward = Overrated.

yep. they're on record saying they wanted to exhaust all possibilities before moving up...................but are now talking about fighting JCC Jr. at 168:heh:

They already know what time it is when you get in the ring with SOG:lawd:

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
Lol. Virgil just must be sour Andre is stifling his own career. GGG would make more money vs JCC and it would be a more entertaining fight.
So now we expect a fighter to move up in weight and fight the best fighter in the division, rather than get acclimated? Hell most guys wouldn't even take on an opponent like JCC in their first match up.

Sounds like Virgil has to throw shots because Andre is #2 PFP, but basically has no options.

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
some people cherry pick and still look bad while getting just 5,000 fans in his hometown

some people cherry pick fighters from 175 so they can drain themselves to skeleton status and claim it a big victory

some people cherry pick fighters, are supposedly p4p #2, yet there are 3 people interested in seeing him fight

so yeah, I bet he WISHES he was in GGGs corner instead of BOREdre SNOREd

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
Lol. Virgil just must be sour Andre is stifling his own career. GGG would make more money vs JCC and it would be a more entertaining fight.
So now we expect a fighter to move up in weight and fight the best fighter in the division, rather than get acclimated? Hell most guys wouldn't even take on an opponent like JCC in their first match up.

Sounds like Virgil has to throw shots because Andre is #2 PFP, but basically has no options.

No. But, that's not the reasoning they gave for not fighting Ward so soon. They said they wanted to:

"If it were my choice, I would first like to see if all of our avenues are exhausted at middleweight. [WBO champion Peter] Quillin is running. If Quillin just says that he doesn't want to fight with Gennady, then we'll forget about him. If [WBC champion Sergio] Martinez doesn't fight us, then we are left with [Felix] Sturm, who is still a champion [of the IBF]. Because not all of these possibilities have been exhausted, I do not think it is fair to ask Gennady to move up. I would like to see him unify the titles, if that's possible, and then we can move up," Sanchez said.

So the #SOG team fell back. That's a valid excuse and understandable.

HOWEVER

Now they're saying they wanna move up, but fight JCC Jr. first (doesnt matter to me, because JCC Jr. is gonna beat GGG anyways imo #ChavezCoalition). That means that whole "I wanna exhaust my options at middleweight" excuse was just that...........an excuse.

They dont want to fight Andre Ward, but I can also blame Andre Ward in a way as well. He isnt making himself a name where people are gonna be "blasted" for ducking him:manny:

He's the #2 P4P, but if GGG can make MORE money fighting the easier opponent in JCC Jr, the business of boxing says to do so. Only hardcore fans will know that GGG ducked Ward, in the public's eye it doesnt matter at all:yeshrug:

#SOG is gonna have to find a way to get his name out there more and market himself better. He's gonna have to do SOMETHING, because JCC Jr. is gonna run the 168 division money wise if he doesnt. JCC is much more marketable and profitable at this point......so he's gonna be the "in demand" fight at 168. Ward's too good and doesnt bring enough money to the table for it to be a PPV caliber fight:manny:

ChocolateGiddyUp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
No. But, that's not the reasoning they gave for not fighting Ward so soon. They said they wanted to:

So the #SOG team fell back. That's a valid excuse and understandable.

HOWEVER

Now they're saying they wanna move up, but fight JCC Jr. first (doesnt matter to me, because JCC Jr. is gonna beat GGG anyways imo #ChavezCoalition). That means that whole "I wanna exhaust my options at middleweight" excuse was just that...........an excuse.

They dont want to fight Andre Ward, but I can also blame Andre Ward in a way as well. He isnt making himself a name where people are gonna be "blasted" for ducking him:manny:

He's the #2 P4P, but if GGG can make MORE money fighting the easier opponent in JCC Jr, the business of boxing says to do so. Only hardcore fans will know that GGG ducked Ward, in the public's eye it doesnt matter at all:yeshrug:

#SOG is gonna have to find a way to get his name out there more and market himself better. He's gonna have to do SOMETHING, because JCC Jr. is gonna run the 168 division money wise if he doesnt. JCC is much more marketable and profitable at this point......so he's gonna be the "in demand" fight at 168. Ward's too good and doesnt bring enough money to the table for it to be a PPV caliber fight:manny:

This nikka was like Jccjr is bytch for calling out GGG..he should be calling out the light heavys

But now since its GGG changes his tune to why would you call out the champ moving up without getting use to the weight first:russ:

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
This nikka was like Jccjr is bytch for calling out GGG..he should be calling out the light heavys

But now since its GGG changes his tune to why would you call out the champ moving up without getting use to the weight first:russ:

:heh:

I dont care who GGG fights. #ChavezCoalition or the #SOGGang can both beat him:manny:

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
GGG-Ward would mean a lot to boxing fans and for P4P status. Financially it does nothing. In fact GGG could make the same fighting a bum at 160.
Rumors were that if GGG-JCC got made, HBO would potentially look at a PPV opportunity. This would be a career high payday for GGG.
GGG may be getting frustrated at 160 because he literally cannot get a fight made vs a quality opponent. Whether it is ducking or HBO getting in the way...it isn't happening anytime soon. No way he gets Quillin because he is on Showtime. Although if Sergio beat Cotto, one would think Sergio-GGG is the fight that must happen, I think the odds are slim.

Dan Rafael just posted that JCC-Vera got the 3rd highest TV ratings of any boxing fight in the last year. GGG is consistently ranked in the top 5 for ratings.
This would be a really big fight/event.
I would be interested in watching it. But I wouldn't blame GGG if he didn't want it since Chavez is 20 pounds bigger than him. That sparring match on youtube was pretty one sided though. :jawalrus:
Kinda would like to see Chavez fight the Froch-Groves winner, so we can see him against a veteran quality natural 168.

But I'm #GennadyGolovkinGang, so :youngsabo:.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Virgil Hunter is playing the game & saying what he's suppose to say.

This is a business. JCC Jr is a bigger draw than Andre Ward, so why wouldn't he fight JCC Jr first? Not only that, this would be his first fight at 168, so why would you fight the hardest guy in that weight class, before you've even settled into the weight?

GGG VS JCC Jr is a guaranteed action packed fight.

I'm a huge Andre Ward fan, but this is a guy that also plays the game to get every advantage in his favor. It's all a game.

DaDoc04

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PG County and Jax
Virgil Hunter is playing the game & saying what he's suppose to say.

This is a business. JCC Jr is a bigger draw than Andre Ward, so why wouldn't he fight JCC Jr first? Not only that, this would be his first fight at 168, so why would you fight the hardest guy in that weight class, before you've even settled into the weight?

GGG VS JCC Jr is a guaranteed action packed fight.

I'm a huge Andre Ward fan, but this is a guy that also plays the game to get every advantage in his favor. It's all a game.

nailed it

• Dap
Reactions: IVS