was Michael a better Godfather then Vito?

trollol

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
man these movies are just:blessed:

godfather 1 and 2 are the goats

3 never existed to me

the answer is vito.

mike lost his soul and was too cold-hearted and ruthless until he had nothing left. killing fredo was unnecessary as fukk. unforgivable.
constantly shytting on tom hagen (who was loyal), forcing rocco to kill hyman roth & got rocco killed, keeping his kids away from his wife, didnt have frankie's back against the rosato brothers, not keeping clemenza and tessio in the loop when he was brining up rocco and neri & pretty much forced tessio's hand into giving him up.

vito's downfall was sonny. if he just sat there and shut the fuk up, solazzo wouldn't have brought out the guns. dumbass sonny

SkillClash

Banned
Daps
godfather 1 and 2 are the goats

3 never existed to me

the answer is vito.

mike lost his soul and was too cold-hearted and ruthless until he had nothing left. killing fredo was unnecessary as fukk. unforgivable.
constantly shytting on tom hagen (who was loyal), forcing rocco to kill hyman roth & got rocco killed, keeping his kids away from his wife, didnt have frankie's back against the rosato brothers, not keeping clemenza and tessio in the loop when he was brining up rocco and neri & pretty much forced tessio's hand into giving him up.

vito's downfall was sonny. if he just sat there and shut the fuk up, solazzo wouldn't have brought out the guns. dumbass sonny

wasn't Coppola forced to do a 3rd one by the studio or something

i dont think he wanted to make a third one

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

What I love about this scene is how Fredo instantly starts weeping, When Sonny and Michael each hear the news of Vito being shot they don't cry like Fredo, Interesting how each brother reacts differently.

Sonny hemmed up Clemenza wheh he came to the house and said word on the street the godfather is already dead lol

I'd go with Vito. His backstory and rise to the top, and putting the family on a right path.

Mike was a victim of circumstances somewhat. Your brother and brother in law are the reason for deaths and near deaths in the family. Vito schooled Mike well towards the end, but those two weren't in the playbook lol

Daps
Reppin
Maryland by way of DC
Vito was the better don. He was feared, loved and respected. Michael was just feared. Vito was ruthless but he knew when to back off. Sonny was too hot headed and Fredo was too stupid and all around weak to take over for Vito. Michael was the intelligent one who was just ruthless; sometimes when there was no reason to be. He drove Kay away and made it so she couldn't see their kids, he killed Fredo(yeah Fredo could have dropped a dime on Michael if Michael just exiled him, and Fredo was jealous and hurt that Vito passed him over, but still, he's Michael's blood brother) and that shyt haunted him for the rest of his life and wound up dying alone because either everyone he loved feared him or hated his guts.

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Vito was the better don. He was feared, loved and respected. Michael was just feared. Vito was ruthless but he knew when to back off. Sonny was too hot headed and Fredo was too stupid and all around weak to take over for Vito. Michael was the intelligent one who was just ruthless; sometimes when there was no reason to be. He drove Kay away and made it so she couldn't see their kids, he killed Fredo(yeah Fredo could have dropped a dime on Michael if Michael just exiled him, and Fredo was jealous and hurt that Vito passed him over, but still, he's Michael's blood brother) and that shyt haunted him for the rest of his life and wound up dying alone because either everyone he loved feared him or hated his guts.
whether fredo died or not michael still would of died alone

fredo was dumb but he knew what he was doing, playing dumb knowing that if michael got wacked he would be next in line

Sonny Corinthos

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Port Charles, NY
damm this is a beast thread...who ever made it is a gawd:blessed:

Breh Godfather is a deep shyt I haven't seen a movie or book that only really has 2 parts that you could go on endlessly about. I was on a message board years ago where we all talked about the same shyt with these characters and gave no fukks:snoop:

Puzo is a god

infamousred

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Here's an article that broke down the differences between Vito and Michael and concluded that Vito won
http://www.bhagwad.com/blog/2011/pe...e-who-was-a-better-don-in-the-godfather.html/
this is a great break down.
the one and only thing i've never been able to understand is...was tom hagan not the "war-time consigliere?"
i've never understood why michael treated him the way he did either, but like i said before i'm going to have to back and watch the movies.
was michael just the type that didn't give a fukk?
apparently he died w/ the weight of the family on his back?
vito died w/ a younger kid flourishing to take his spot?
you have to look at the whole story....

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
its not that michael didnt respect tom. he was a good consigliere. michael just told him that with the move to vegas shyt could get real and that he wasnt built like that. michael was trying to legitimize the family and i think he preferred tom to be the family's lawyer/attorney instead. keep him clean and away from the "dirty" parts of the business if you will

trollol

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
its not that michael didnt respect tom. he was a good consigliere. michael just told him that with the move to vegas shyt could get real and that he wasnt built like that. michael was trying to legitimize the family and i think he preferred tom to be the family's lawyer/attorney instead. keep him clean and away from the "dirty" parts of the business if you will

i think mike also harbored resentment that when vito was shot, sonny wanted to go to the mattresses but hagen was :whoa:

<<TheStandard>>

I Am A God
Daps
I watched this again over this weekend.......Oddly I actually found Michael quite depressing in part 2. Dude almost seemed depressed the whole fukking movie. Michael just seemed completley burdened by the job of being the Don. He never wanted to be apart of the life but was thrust into the role to save his father and protect the family. You gotta remember he never wanted THIS life. He had to learn what to do on the fly. I'm sure Sonny was being trained for this forever, he was just too hot headed and couldn't think rationally.

Michael was very unlucky in that his first wife Appolonia who was more suited for him was blown up in a car bomb. Kay was an outsider to the culture and could never understand why Mike lived the way he did & constantly asked questions she never should have asked. Mama Corleone knew her role and never asked Vito those questions. Appolonia being Italian would have understood & played the role better. That's a major reason for him failing family wise and ending up alone. He chose the wrong one. Kay was great for him when the goal was him trying to separate himself from the family business becoming Senator or Governor Corleone but she didn't fit his Mafia boss lifestyle. She never accepted him as is and spent the whole marriage hoping that he'd become legitmate. The fact that he had to lie to her was more of the problem than the fact that he did lie. Let's say Appolonia lives and Mike becomes the Don, they move back to NYC....I doubt he has his son aborted and/or dies alone with no one to take position of Don but Vito.

I think Mike had it much harder in that he had more people turning against him and he always made the tough & correct decisions. That said he could have treated his team better & there would have been less traitors. As someone said about Tessio, Clemenza, Frankie & Tom. Part of running an organization is how you treat your workers. Tessio never would have turned on Vito.

Mike had so many tough decisions tho....How could he not murk Carlo knowing he's responsible for Sonny? Do you put yourself and the family in jeopardy just because that's your sister's husband? Ultimately I think he made the right decision but I think he had so many lose/lose decisions. The Decision to kill Fredo was the right one.

Vito definitely handles that Senator Geary situation much better. Like someone said Vito is much better at dealing with people.

In some ways I think the argument for Vito vs Michael is a time based argument. I'm not sure if Vito survives in Michael's era. Maybe he goes too light on a Fredo or a Carlo & gets caught slipping. Michael is like Marlo in the sense where he'd rather not risk it. He doesn't want to take everyone out, just his enemies.

I hated how Frank Pentangeli came out of fukking NOWHERE in Part 2. I know Clemenza had a contract dispute but yeah they didn't do a good job of writing him out and Frank Pentangeli in.

I could barely get through Godfather 3, the shortest movie but somehow it felt like the longest....