Was New Edition Better Off Without Bobby Brown?

Was New Edition Better Off Without Bobby Brown?

• Yes

Votes: 23 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 46.5%

• Total voters

Worthless Loser

Blackpilled
Daps
Yes. Like others have said, they had their best success and album without him. More importantly Johnny Gill gave New Edition a mature sound that allowed them to expand their audience and get out of the cookie cutter/child type sound.

The unknown question is what would have happened if Bobby stayed in the group? Johnny would have never been added to the group. Ralph was singing essentially everything with an occasional verse from Ricky Bell. However between the time Bobby left the group and the time he dropped his solo album (which was around the same time as NE), Bobby had grown up and became his own man. So I'm thinking he would have demanded more verses and more shine. And I'm wondering if Bobby would have helped changed New Edition's image. Ralph as the pretty boy nice guy and Bobby as the bad boy. A good counter balance to broaden appeal.

Is there a chance Don't Be Cruel, Every Little Step, Rock Wit'Cha, My Prerogative, Roni is all given to New Edition since Bobby would still be in the group? Maybe a few tracks are given to them and other tracks are given to someone else. I can definitely see Ralph singing on Rock Wit'Cha and Roni.

FeverPitch2

Superstar
Daps
Agreed, when it comes to R&B Johnny & Dennis Edwards for Temptations were best replacements for groups I’ve come across. Seem like every other group fell off heavy once a big member was replaced
Cuba Gooding, Sr. came in and made The Main Ingredient legends.
Steve Arrington replaced Slave's drummer then became their lead singer. Instant hits.

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Yes

Bobby ain't meant to be in group.

Dude desperately needed the attention centered around him.

Dude would gyrate and do freaky dance moves during a concert at Walt Disney world in front of kids :mjlol:

Breh wasn't a team player..Ralph was the lead vocalist and Bobby couldn't accept that.

I mean shyt Ralph was a team player and lowkey he kinda has a voice similiar to MJ on some tracks.

JOHNNY joining the group set it off..and Jimmy Jam and Terry laced em big.

Daps
Teddy Pendergrass joined Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes as the drummer and became the lead singer. That needs to be mentioned.

But ack then, Bobby was better without NE and NE were better without Bobby and with Johnny. When Bobby was in the group initially, Mr. Telephone Man, Jealous Girl, and Hide and Seek were his standouts, but it was all bubble gum music. When he left, he made King of Stage, which biggest hit was another bubble gum song, Girlfriend. When NE and Bobby both started making more adult sounding music (the producers allowed them to grow up), they came with the heat (Don't Be Cruel and Heartbreak).

Now, they all tour together as Bobby is a shell of himself and doesn't seem like he can carry a whole show. So he needs the other guys to help him out and the other guys need him for brand/name recognition because the fans want to see all 6 (and the bag is bigger).

Also, RALPH has always been the most important member of New Edition. Ironically, he is the one whose solo career didn't pop off, but he's still the man in that group. There is no New Edition then or now without Ralph, just an RBRM.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Ronnie was the coolest one in NE. His dancing looked effortless.

CanineWastefulFugu-size_restricted.gif
Classic tv moment :russ: