Was the Great Migration the closest thing to an immigrant story AA's have?

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
I know what OP is trying to say and since AA's are minorities, he's comparing the migrations to POC immigrants. Black and White Southern Americans had northern and western migrations for better opportunities tho.

Southern Diaspora

Londilon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
im·mi·grant
/ˈiməɡrənt/

Learn to pronounce

noun
noun: immigrant; plural noun: immigrants
a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country.

A bunch of Russians volunteeringly moving from Siberia to Moscow are NOT immigrants even if its half-way around the world! :dahell:

The Deep South and the Western part of the US are not two separate countries :dahell:

There is no comparison :mindblown:
Glad you see that the thread was a reach to try and make ADOS feel bad for illegal immigration. Lets just keep it all the way hundred.

Daps
Not exactly since you had AA in the north from before the Revolutionary War.

It would be almost like a second, much larger wave of immigrants when speaking on the great migration.

I'm always fascinated at patterns. California is loaded with Texas and Louisiana blacks. Chicago and Mississippi are joined at the hip. New York and Boston seems to be full of people with kinfolk in Georgia and the Carolinas.

What makes it more interesting is how Africans that were brought over during the slave trade tended to end up in certain areas. I've read that Baltimore/DC (basically the whole DMV) was a common landing spot for Igbos from what is now Nigeria. Like far more Igbos than average compared to other coastal ports. The Carolinas, especially SC tended to have more Africans from Senegal/Gambia and then later saw many from what is present day Angola.

I have a few Naija friends and I joke that ADOS took some of that Old World shyt and brought it over to the Americas. There are certain black people you just naturally get along with and others that you wanna punch in the face day one. Like y'all just know you'd be raiding each others villages about 500 years ago :russ:

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
Glad you see that the thread was a reach to try and make ADOS feel bad for illegal immigration. Lets just keep it all the way hundred.
Your vitriol for immigrants got you foaming at the mouth for something completely unrelated. Amazing:mjlol:.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
@Meh - what do you think?

I see what you are trying to say - but I don't agree.

It was two waves of the Great Migration.

The first wave was for many ADOS and formerly enslaved who were still living was to leave the South -- to not only escape White Terrorism -- but to try their hand at other jobs besides working the farm -- aka Sharecropping.

Many of them were threatened with violence -- and even killed for trying to leave the South.

With the first and second wave of the Great Migration - especially the second -- it was whites who were requesting more Black labor to come up. Southern whites were pissed that Black people were being advertised too and some scouted for work outside the South.

Whites would and did work the jobs -- it wasn't any "they wouldn't do" -- and the ADOS weren't "migrants." Their origin was the U.S. -- and were more than likely more "American" than any White they ran into in those states.

Migrants – people living and working outside their country of origin – are particularly vulnerable to human rights abuses.

You also have to tie in the WWI&II and the Vietnam War to the Great Migration (I&II) because that is where the vast majority of our fathers, uncles and grandfathers learned/enhanced skills. Those who survived and weren't cheated -- used the Military for betterment.

The South had just as much -- even more education for our people as other locations.

On the point of living with multiple people -- it was like that before, during and after the Great Migration (both). For instance, if I were to let you look at the Census records for any of my maternal and paternal lines - you will see everybody living together -- on the same land. Or the same street. This was from 1870 up until the 1950's. I have two sides of my maternal line on the same street -- for many years -- then you see one of my Great Grandfathers marrying one of my Great Grannies.

It was just safer, easier and better for them to live with and close to eachother. They were closeknit. I think they wanted too - and felt the safest doing so.

The large network of blacks -- is a given - these are the same people who live and have lived in this country before it's creation -- just moving around, living, working around the country like anyone else.

And Whites -- especially Southern whites -- did it too. They moved right along with Black people. Our families stayed in the South -- they didn't leave -- just some of their children and grandchildren did.

We didn't escape our country -- we stayed and fought - and broke barriers.

We also -- and some still do go home (the South) for many of us every summer when we were little and all holidays/family reunions.

Last edited:

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
@Meh - what do you think?

I see what you are trying to say - but I don't agree.

It was two waves of the Great Migration.

The first wave was for many ADOS and formerly enslaved who were still living was to leave the South -- to not only escape White Terrorism -- but to try their hand at other jobs besides working the farm -- aka Sharecropping.

Many of them were threatened with violence -- and even killed for trying to leave the South.

With the first and second wave of the Great Migration - especially the second -- it was whites who were requesting more Black labor to come up. Southern whites were pissed that Black people were being advertised too and some scouted for work outside the South.

Whites would and did work the jobs -- it wasn't any "they wouldn't do" -- and the ADOS weren't "migrants." Their origin was the U.S. -- and were more than likely more "American" than any White they ran into in those states.

Migrants – people living and working outside their country of origin – are particularly vulnerable to human rights abuses.

You also have to tie in the WWI&II and the Vietnam War to the Great Migration (I&II) because that is where the vast majority of our fathers, uncles and grandfathers learned/enhanced skills. Those who survived and weren't cheated -- used the Military for betterment.

The South had just as much -- even more education for our people as other locations.

On the point of living with multiple people -- it was like that before, during and after the Great Migration (both). For instance, if I were to let you look at the Census records for any of my maternal and paternal lines - you will see everybody living together -- on the same land. Or the same street. This was from 1870 up until the 1950's. I have two sides of my maternal line on the same street -- for many years -- then you see one of my Great Grandfathers marrying one of my Great Grannies.

It was just safer, easier and better for them to live with and close to eachother. They were closeknit. I think they wanted too - and felt the safest doing so.

The large network of blacks -- is a given - these are the same people who live and have lived in this country before it's creation -- just moving around, living, working around the country like anyone else.

And Whites -- especially Southern whites -- did it too. They moved right along with Black people. Our families stayed in the South -- they didn't leave -- just some of their children and grandchildren did.

We didn't escape our country -- we stayed and fought - and broke barriers.

We also -- and some still do go home (the South) for many of us every summer when we were little and all holidays/family reunions.
Thanks for the mature response instead of emotional breakdowns like some posters here. I'm the son of Nigerian immigrants (as I said multiple times on the Coli before) so the immigrant story intrests me a lot and the Great Migration just reminded me of certain migration patterns throughout history. Since I'm not ADOS, my historical nuance isn't as good so to any natural-born ADOS so I apologize for any offence.

invalid

Banned
Daps
You can characterize the formerly enslaved moving north in search of opportunities as “immigration” as much as you can characterize the expansion of colonials to the western frontier as “immigration”, or the movement of natives from the Pacific Northwest to the east coast as “immigration”.

No, I wouldn’t characterize it as such. Other early groups have had the latitude to move around and spread their territory in this country without such language being attributed to it. Let’s not use that language to characterize black American movement. Blacks were “settlers” not immigrants. We expanded our territory.

N*gger is a racially charged slur with a vile history. Even so, it’s meaning is different coming out of the mouths of blacks then it is coming out the mouths of whites. To use the same concept, movement can look the same on paper but it’s different when done by natives then done by non-natives.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Thanks for the mature response instead of emotional breakdowns like some posters here. I'm the son of Nigerian immigrants (as I said multiple times on the Coli before) so the immigrant story intrests me a lot and the Great Migration just reminded me of certain migration patterns throughout history. Since I'm not ADOS, my historical nuance isn't as good as an natural-born ADOS so I apologize for any offence.

Totally fine. :smile:

Honestly, I appreciate you trying to learn and understand our story more.

I really do recommend reading "The Warmth of Other Suns" - as @The Odum of Ala Igbo mentioned. In the book she does liken some of the ADOS leaving the South as "seeking asylum" -- but overall most just wanted to leave the South to do more than pick cotton and work the farm -- and make money finally.

Many of them weren't getting paid ANYTHING and were working on their parents Sharecropping account. They weren't even able to go to school cause they had to work the crop.

My dad left Alabama at 13 - but my paternal side - pretty much stayed.

My mom left Alabama at 15 - and all of but 2 of her 9 siblings left.

For my Alabama family -- The first wave all went to New Jersey - both sides. The second wave all went to Michigan, Ohio, or Chicago -- for jobs at the Plant.