Was the Great Migration the closest thing to an immigrant story AA's have?

invalid

Banned
Daps
Do you have another source for this?

It wasnt many free African-Americans- or those who classified themselves as "black" - "negro" during that time.

If anything they were free Haitians who had migrated to Louisiana and decided to leave to France. Many of them went to Liberia as well.

That number is way too high. It was only 13k total during and after slavery who went to Liberia. Most of them went in the 1830-40's and sadly many were enslavers as well - and didn't see themselves the same as the enslaved.

I have never heard to that many of us going to France.

If this is true - would love to learn more.

Yeah, I'm not buying it - until proven otherwise. With multiple sources. Again, we would have heard about that -- that's a LARGE number - triple the number of FPOC, their enslaved and those freed when agreeing to go to Liberia.

Numbers do seem a bit inflated now that I think about it but the source was from this NPR interview.

NPR Choice page

It’s cited in this article but it appears that it’s also quoting the same person.

Documentary explores how a group of black intellectuals found solace in Paris

And in this NYT article.

Opinion | The Next Great Migration

Free black population in New Orleans alone in 1840 was around 20,000, so the numbers don’t seem that impossible. My assumption was that, included in that migratory number, were Hatian Creoles who came to New Orleans from Saint Domingue and decided to leave for Paris.

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
According to The Coli liberal brigade, the laws against mass immigration that allowed it to happen should've never happened.

We should all still be trapped in the south running from the KKK because "this is a country of immigrants" and there should be nothing to stop people from coming here.

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
I should the reverse migration is similar to third or fourth generation descendants of immigrants moving to their ancestral countries i.e. fourth gen Japanese Brazilians immigrating back to Japan, third gen Mexican Americans immigrating back to Mexico or British Indians immigrating nack to India after some 50-70 years in the UK.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
the Afro-Dutch dialect and it's speakers, got absorbed into the larger, non-Dutch based, Afram population and/or became the foundation to some of the "Black Indian" tribes around New York/New Jersey where remnants of the dialect may remain

78d7176fd0ec7b613f696f66bf7f6a2c.jpg

THE MONDAY EVENING CLUB: Why we don't all speak Dutch: Language extinction and language survival

I meant to post this ages ago about the Dutch-Afroamericans, so here it is:

lMER7co.png

BbhvG23.png

Bruce Grit

41R3uXSXTAL.jpg

(one of Garvey's influences) called them out for holding on to them Dutch surnames:mjlol:

vzuVald.png

OsqtrH9.png

Interesting fact about Upstate NY's black history, concerning the Afro-Dutch:

hoodfp.jpg

James Varick (1750-1827) was the first bishop of the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church in NYC. In 1796, he withdrew from his position as minister of the John Street Methodist Episcopal Church because black parishioners were forced to sit in the back rows. For this reason, Varick decided to found a new place of worship, the Zion Church.

Varick was the son of Richard Varick, a freed slave of the Dutch couple Jan van Varick, a baker born in Rhenen, and Sara Visboom, born in Amsterdam. James grew up with his parents in slavery and learned the profession of shoemaking.

Varick actively opposed slavery and fought for political rights. His “Sermon of Thanksgiving on the Occasion of the Abolition of the African Slave Trade,” on January 1, 1808, became well known.

On July 4, 1827, when New York finally emancipated all enslaved people, Varick celebrated with his congregation. A fortnight later he passed away in his New York City home. Sojourner Truth, who was a member of the congregation, also spoke from the pulpit against slavery.

slide_4.jpg