Watching old NBA games thread

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
So inspired by this thread I finally decided to start watching some of those games I had saved. And I felt like why not share my thoughts

First one was the 1996 opening game for the Lakers, against the Suns

- Shaq's first game as a Laker. First basket was a dunk (the footage starts later, but they show a replay during the game). You can sense the nervousness in his play. His FTs looked way more fluid than later on in his career.
- Derek Fisher first game. Came off the bench very early because Van Exel was in foul trouble, and was very effective right away. I was watching a documentary on the 96 draft a couple of days ago and they were saying he was "NBA ready", they were right
- Kobe Bryant sighting on the bench. DNP because of some injury. A couple of fans chant his name to try to get him in the game though.
- Steve Nash first game. Buried on the Suns bench behind Sam Cassel who gets damn near all the PT despite Kevin Johnson being injured. Doesn't do anything of note.
- Hardly any flopping, or bytching to the refs. Actually not even that many fouls called, and not one technical. Only one barking to the refs was Sam Cassel obviously :mjlol:
- Game goes by fast, just back and forth. And no "take fouls" either. Very few free throws.
-Had totally forgotten about Elden Campbell and Danny Manning. I remembered Wesley Person as a great shooter but he was throwing bricks in this one. Micheal Finley really looking like had the tools to be a great 2 guard.
- Wayman Tisdale wearing goggles. I don't even remember the last player to wear some unless he just had been injured.
- Suns were in a bad spot. This was just after the Barkley to Houston trade so tons of new faces. No continuity. But it was the first game of the season after all, and the Lakers weren't looking that fluid neither.
- Perimeter shooting was trash. Hardly any 3 point attempts. Defense is ok, but overall the offenses are static as hell.
- Those Suns jerseys are still some of the nicest ever.
- Totally forgot players used to come to sit at the commentators' table for the post-game interview.
- The Forum really had a nice specific vibe to it.

Overall not a great game, which is to be expected for the first game of the season for two teams starting something new, but interesting watch.

rbksNgirbauds

Even on the court we stay flyy, Jada & A.I.
Daps

Been tuned into this series whenever I've had the chance. Them '92 Knicks had some hellacious perimeter defense. And then you had Ewing, Oakley, and Mason lurking in the paint to clean up any mishaps šŸ˜³

Great test for the Bulls. Great series in general. It's kinda slept on imo

mbewane

Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium

Been tuned into this series whenever I've had the chance. Them '92 Knicks had some hellacious perimeter defense. And then you had Ewing, Oakley, and Mason lurking in the paint to clean up any mishaps šŸ˜³

Might have to get into revisiting this series. Yeah for some reason it seems the 93 series is more spoken about, probably because it was the ECF but iirc this one was closer (and went 7 games)

rbksNgirbauds

Even on the court we stay flyy, Jada & A.I.
Daps
Might have to get into revisiting this series. Yeah for some reason it seems the 93 series is more spoken about, probably because it was the ECF but iirc this one was closer (and went 7 games)
Yeah that's very much true. It was a bit more theatrics and anticipation for that series from what I gather (wasnt old enough lol)....but I don't think any Bulls-Knicks series topples '92. The intensity was off the charts. And yes you're correct, it did go 7

Ku$h Parker

I Took My Time,I Hurried Up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Prime Minister of S.B. Westside

And it was an "upstart" Knick Team wit Riles as the new coach and Pat Ewing had resigned after his Rookie Deal ended....taking a soon to be 2 Time Champ to 7 is pretty damn big time

OGBobbyJohnson

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Tri State Area

Other than those GS/Cleveland series..This is basketball at it's apex
watching this game now..Knicks attention to detail on defense was insane :bryan:
Yo @41:40 reading The Jordan Rules book courtside :mjlol:

Last edited:

mbewane

Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium

G1 of the 2004 First-round matchup between Sacramento and Dallas

Stojakovic was at another level back then, had totally forgotten he was 2nd scorer in the league behind only T-Mac. Which is crazy because he basically only took assisted jumpers. Webber with a big game despite not dominating. Dirk doing Dirk things. Steve Nash still on the Mavs, strange to think that he would become a 2 time MVP soon when you see his performance. That Dallas team was kind of all over the place with Antoine Walker, Jamison, Josh Howard and Marquis Daniels getting big minutes as rookies...still not many threes, and for two offensive teams the defense is still pretty solid. Good game.

Easy-E

Suffering From Success | 1316 Days
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Island of Relevancy, Forever

I shyt on Knicks fans, but, I understand why they feel they should've got a title...but, that man, Air...

Daps

G1 of the 2004 First-round matchup between Sacramento and Dallas

Stojakovic was at another level back then, had totally forgotten he was 2nd scorer in the league behind only T-Mac. Which is crazy because he basically only took assisted jumpers. Webber with a big game despite not dominating. Dirk doing Dirk things. Steve Nash still on the Mavs, strange to think that he would become a 2 time MVP soon when you see his performance. That Dallas team was kind of all over the place with Antoine Walker, Jamison, Josh Howard and Marquis Daniels getting big minutes as rookies...still not many threes, and for two offensive teams the defense is still pretty solid. Good game.

Kings vs Mavs was nice lil rivalry in the early 2000's , precursor to what the Suns became.

Kings washed them in this series but the one from 03 was a classic. Mavs pulled that out, I really thought Finley ,Dirk & Nash were gonna do something :mjcry: slept on trio