Watching old NBA games thread

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium

MJ got off to a slow start due to being under the weather, but still has a very solid game with various MJ highlights. Olajuwon and Pippen somehow still both look quite raw in a sense. Otis Thorpe really had one of the most unique styles ever. Of course Mad Max and MJ get into it. Wasn't really watching games back then so various Rockets players I didn't really know of, such as Buck Johnson. Kenny Smith was a problem. Sleepy Floyd too (breh does the "kicking his leg out" on a jumper to draw the foul lmao). Overall hard fought game and you can already see why the Bulls didn't want to see the Rockets in the Finals. Also I noticed that once the game is decided both teams score not really caring about the so-called "non-written rule" that you don't score at the end of the game when the game is decided.

mbewane

Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium

Kobe was in a league of his own :whew:some of his moves are just:wow: very high efficiency too
Shaq with an "average" game but comes through with the FTs at the end
Lakers were really top heavy
Didn't remember Maurice Williams being this good :ohhh: what the hell happened to him
Old Dream still with the smooth jumper
Rockets unis :francis:
Calvin Murphy was hilarious as a commentator :dead:
Also againi the flow of the game is just so different. Very little stoppages in play, not one single officials replay, etc

Last edited:
Daps
Watching sonics vs kings 96 playoffs now. Remembering how the flow of the game is much smoother and faster without everyone taking so many threes.

But the main thing is how someone said earlier that no one's complaining after every whistle all in the refs face.

mbewane

Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Watching sonics vs kings 96 playoffs now. Remembering how the flow of the game is much smoother and faster without everyone taking so many threes.

But the main thing is how someone said earlier that no one's complaining after every whistle all in the refs face.

This is what has really hit me since I started watching these old games. Just back and forth basketball, whole flow of the games is much smoother.

mbewane

Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium

Pretty entertaining game. Warriors of that era is clearly I team I hadn't seen play often. Billy Owens really was one of those "prototype" type players, tall, strong, agile, pretty good shot, could handle the ball. Obviously he has his career high of his young career against the Knicks smh Mullin kind of struggles, Tim Hardaway was a problem. Knicks really up and down offensively, defense wasn't that great yet. Marciulonis sighting, looks stronger than what I remembered. Had no idea Mario Elie and Tyrone Hill were on the Warriors. Tyrone Hill somehow ends with 20 points :mjtf:
Ewing's jumper tho :wow:

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps

Pretty entertaining game. Warriors of that era is clearly I team I hadn't seen play often. Billy Owens really was one of those "prototype" type players, tall, strong, agile, pretty good shot, could handle the ball. Obviously he has his career high of his young career against the Knicks smh Mullin kind of struggles, Tim Hardaway was a problem. Knicks really up and down offensively, defense wasn't that great yet. Marciulonis sighting, looks stronger than what I remembered. Had no idea Mario Elie and Tyrone Hill were on the Warriors. Tyrone Hill somehow ends with 20 points :mjtf:
Ewing's jumper tho :wow:

Don Nelson’s Warriors of the late 80s/early 90s were entertaining and ahead of its time.

Billy Owens handled the point forward role at times. The Warriors broke up Run-TMC to trade Mitch for him, which was disappointing.

The Warriors had a very good 91-92 regular season but got upset in the 1st round by Seattle (Kemp’s Lister Blister dunk).

I liked Sarunas, he was aggressive on taking it to the hoop and had the Eurostep. He was a very good sixth man for the Warriors, but his body broke down.

John Starks had been on the Warriors a couple years earlier before going to the Knicks. I don’t remember his Warrior days well, but I remember Mario Elie and that slow set shot release. Both Elie & Starks worked their way up from the CBA.

Hardaway was my favorite Warrior from that era, because of the Utep 2-Step. I remember around this time, McDonalds created a Tim & Chris burger for Hardaway & Mullin. It was terrible.

mbewane

Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Don Nelson’s Warriors of the late 80s/early 90s were entertaining and ahead of its time.

Billy Owens handled the point forward role at times. The Warriors broke up Run-TMC to trade Mitch for him, which was disappointing.

The Warriors had a very good 91-92 regular season but got upset in the 1st round by Seattle (Kemp’s Lister Blister dunk).

I liked Sarunas, he was aggressive on taking it to the hoop and had the Eurostep. He was a very good sixth man for the Warriors, but his body broke down.

John Starks had been on the Warriors a couple years earlier before going to the Knicks. I don’t remember his Warrior days well, but I remember Mario Elie and that slow set shot release. Both Elie & Starks worked their way up from the CBA.

Hardaway was my favorite Warrior from that era, because of the Utep 2-Step. I remember around this time, McDonalds created a Tim & Chris burger for Hardaway & Mullin. It was terrible.

:dead:

Yeah commentators listed all the places Mario Elie played before making it in the NBA, was a long list lol.

Yeah here Sarunas doesn't have a great game but you can see his aggressivness and sweet touch

Now that I think of it the fact Nelson had Mason handle the ball when he coached the Knicks later on makes more sense since he had already done some of that with Owens

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps

G1 of the 2004 First-round matchup between Sacramento and Dallas

Stojakovic was at another level back then, had totally forgotten he was 2nd scorer in the league behind only T-Mac. Which is crazy because he basically only took assisted jumpers. Webber with a big game despite not dominating. Dirk doing Dirk things. Steve Nash still on the Mavs, strange to think that he would become a 2 time MVP soon when you see his performance. That Dallas team was kind of all over the place with Antoine Walker, Jamison, Josh Howard and Marquis Daniels getting big minutes as rookies...still not many threes, and for two offensive teams the defense is still pretty solid. Good game.

I think this was the last great Kings team, they were always great to watch.

It's kind of sad how Rick Adelman's career ended. Looking back I feel like he never got the credit he deserved and then his career just petered out.

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
:dead:

Yeah commentators listed all the places Mario Elie played before making it in the NBA, was a long list lol.

Yeah here Sarunas doesn't have a great game but you can see his aggressivness and sweet touch

Now that I think of it the fact Nelson had Mason handle the ball when he coached the Knicks later on makes more sense since he had already done some of that with Owens

Apparently when Nelson coached the Bucks back in the 80s, he used Paul Pressey and Marques Johnson (the guy who robs the store in White Men Can’t Jump) as point forwards.

mbewane

Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Apparently when Nelson coached the Bucks back in the 80s, he used Paul Pressey and Marques Johnson (the guy who robs the store in White Men Can’t Jump) as point forwards.

Dude was really ahead of his time with some of his ideas. Kind of feel like he doesn't really get credit for having tried new things

OGBobbyJohnson

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Tri State Area
reading that Knicks book & in that chapter about how he took over after Riley went to Miami they said what really intrigued him about the job was Mason running the point forward..he was pretty much tryna build around Mase like Lebron because of his skill set

mbewane

Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
reading that Knicks book & in that chapter about how he took over after Riley went to Miami they said what really intrigued him about the job was Mason running the point forward..he was pretty much tryna build around Mase like Lebron because of his skill set

What Knicks book you're talking about breh? :ohhh:

OGBobbyJohnson

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Tri State Area
What Knicks book you're talking about breh? :ohhh:
9781982132118-us.jpg