Were the 90's the most brand obsessed decade of all-time?

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
at one point it got so bad I had pretty much an NBA jersey or NFL jersey in every color, dozens of teams, matching hats. :scusthov:

At first I could get by with replica jerseys. But then it got crazier and I had to get everything authentic. And then the throwback shyt started up so then I'm wearing authentic college jerseys and shyt :why:

Zombi_Jeezus

Bad Hombre
Daps
Reppin
Wasted Talent
Man I remember I bought some girbauds from a store called solo serve for hella cheap in the 8th grade. Like 19.99 I didn't even try em on I bought em and took em home quick fast like any minute they were going to realize their mistake and take em back. This was like 93 these jeans were going for around 90 bucks.

Man I got home and put em on and one leg was a little short and the other was looooong as fukk. I didn't know the reason their clothes was so cheap was cause they were irregular shyts.

Luckily by 9th grade my uncle hooked me up with these 2 sisters who were world class thieves. These bytches would take orders and come back with Polo, Tommy, Nautica etc. Everything at least half off.

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
Man I remember I bought some girbauds from a store called solo serve for hella cheap in the 8th grade. Like 19.99 I didn't even try em on I bought em and took em home quick fast like any minute they were going to realize their mistake and take em back. This was like 93 these jeans were going for around 90 bucks.

Man I got home and put em on and one leg was a little short and the other was looooong as fukk. I didn't know the reason their clothes was so cheap was cause they were irregular shyts.

Luckily by 9th grade my uncle hooked me up with these 2 sisters who were world class thieves. These bytches would take orders and come back with Polo, Tommy, Nautica etc. Everything at least half off.

Value City was notorious for this, name brand clothing, but factory rejects:
- Sizes too large
- Sports Teams/Players mislabeled
- Player names mispelled
- Sizes too small

I never got on the authentic throwback bandwagon, just replica jerseys. Only Champion Jerseys, Nike and Reebok were out of reach at the time.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
00s were worst.:yeshrug:

the tall tee era? really? :jbhmm:

In-the-early-2000s-all-the-celebrities-dressed-like-they-shopped-at-Walmart.jpg

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
the tall tee era? really? :jbhmm:

In-the-early-2000s-all-the-celebrities-dressed-like-they-shopped-at-Walmart.jpg
Only the shirts were cheap :ufdup: thank God for the white T/black T trend :whew:

The kids who had well off parents rocked jerseys and polos tho :pacspit:

cats were still dropping bread on the jeans, shoes and hats...not too mention the chains :bryan:...nikkas really used to rock chains in HS like they were going to 106 and Park and not homeroom

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere...You never there.
Yall remeber them First Down jackets :usure:

:mjlol:

Shyt was struggle. And poor quality .

Wouldn’t really get clowned for wearing it because the brand was in all the “urban” stores so a lot of dudes had em.

But the real tag poppers had Lo, Hilfiger, Columbia and North Face bubbles . Honorable Mention to Triple Fat

I’m glad shyt has shifted and the kids aren’t getting clowned as much and as intensely over clothes ... if these kids today got their souls snatched like they used to, it’d be whole lot more suicidal kids. They ain’t built for that shyt.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
Only the shirts were cheap :ufdup: thank God for the white T/black T trend :whew:

The kids who had well off parents rocked jerseys and polos tho :pacspit:

cats were still dropping bread on the jeans, shoes and hats...not too mention the chains :bryan:...nikkas really used to rock chains in HS like they were going to 106 and Park and not homeroom

I hear you man but in the 90's? your ass wasn't coming to school in just a plain white t-shirt unless you were begging to get roasted :francis:

yall little ninjas got lucky

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere...You never there.
I remember when I had to square up with this dude who tried to jack my Eddie Bauer jacket. ..

Forgot about the Eddie Bauers... :wow:
...hot commodities, too... Had the EB fleece.

But yeah dudes weren't playing... dudes from my own hood threatened to strongarm me for a Nautica jacket... reversible with the cream red blue and yellow color palate and some maxes to go with it... lil nicca, came in on some :umad::smugbiden::myman::sas1: ... stuntin' heavy... an older, known neighborhood goon I was familiar with hit me on some, :birdman: "Don't make me take yo shyt" :ufdup:

I chuckled ... he was like.. :birdman::usure:

...realized I hadn't earned enough stripes yet to stunt so heavy... stay humble, brethren. Especially when you shinin... :ufdup:

A big homie woulda got my shyt back, but still... valuable lesson learned.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
shyt was crazy.
I remember the first FUBU shirt I had. First thing dudes said, was "is it real?" :martin: And checked the tag....

I bought it from a dude at the barbershop. :hubie: But that tag was real tho. :takedat:

Folks are still brand obsessed you just don’t know the brands

Look at what

Supreme
Off white
V lone
ASSC
Bape
Adidas

Are doing in sales and the resell markets.

Last edited:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
I remember being 6 or 7 years old walking to the rec center and getting ATTACKED by a group of older girls cuz I had on a polo shirt. They grabbed me and checked the tag to see if it was real...it wasn’t :francis:

oh yeah you couldnt get caught out back in the day if you werent wearing a popular name brand..the mental scars i still carry from that from elementary school and middle school..thankfully in high school all i did was wear sports related shyt most of the time (which was cheap for moms to buy) which was passable so didnt get caught slippin like that...my brother i remember took a L for wearing construction boots that werent timbs..he said he got roasted all day and for a min because of it in middle school

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
now i can cop like 4 hoodies at old navy for that price
you know whats funny..i avoided old navy like the plague in the 90s and 00s...commercials and shyt made it look cheesy..i remember one of my mans in high school used to rock their clothing but used to have the jordans with it...never got clowned once...nikkas used to say it was fresh (because he rocked it with the jordans) :russ:...fukking 90s..by the 2010s though old navy makes up like 90% of my casual clothing and gym wear now..shyt is cheap price wise...can spend a couple hundred and im good

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I remember dude in Everlast sneakers got tore up, don't think he ever wore them shyts again. :wow:
i wore puma high tops in middle school cuz my mom only a 40 dollar limit for sneakers...roasted

i also had the hakeem olajuwon sneaks back in the day..cats tried to roast me but it was known i was a rockets fan..didnt care it was 29.99...i wore them :birdman:

75 Others

Stop it Skeeeyyyuuup
Daps
Nike, Nautica, Polo, Fubu, Jays, Filas (gotta be the Grant Hills)Tommy Hilfiger

If you didn't have at least 2 of these brands you got clowned :mjcry:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Nike, Nautica, Polo, Fubu, Jays, Filas (gotta be the Grant Hills)Tommy Hilfiger

If you didn't have at least 2 of these brands you got clowned :mjcry:

in high school i stayed with Nike clothing if it wasnt basketball related apparel...nike jackets and shirts with some fubu thrown in..even rocked some bootleg fubu that got copped at the flea market...luckily never got caught out with that...but it did fall apart in the washer though :francis:

75 Others

Stop it Skeeeyyyuuup
Daps
in high school i stayed with Nike clothing if it wasnt basketball related apparel...nike jackets and shirts with some fubu thrown in..even rocked some bootleg fubu that got copped at the flea market...luckily never got caught out with that...but it did fall apart in the washer though :francis:

them flea markets were lit int he late 90s :blessed:

I copped a coogi and an iceberg sweater from there for a grand total of $75 :mjlol:

Not one person checked those tags either :whew: