What is the consensus "Godfather" or "Shawshank" of comic books?

Omerta

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OZ via El Barrio
Now of course a Godfather part 1/2 or Shawshank might not be my GOAT movie or some people's greatest all time movie, but the general consensus is they are up there at least, this can't be disputed. Don't even mention some pretentious bullshyt like Citizen Kane.:hhh:

I don't go on any other forums other than this, so I'm curious, what is the consensus greatest comic book? I see y'all talking about comic book movies a lot, but not too much about comic books.

Am I right in thinking The Dark Knight Returns? How about some others?

Last edited:

ig88

Bounty Hunter
Daps
Reppin
Intergalactic
Short term watchmen
Long term - chris clairemont xmen run. Idk if any other comic has so many defining stories in a row as good. Xmen was pretty much incredible from there until the defining magneto/wolverine moment.
Grant morrisons new xmen really took thise tones and updated em. Hasnt been the same since imo.

A 20+ run of classics. Spiderman was just as popular but the stories arent neaaaar as good. Which is probably because of all the characters that you can shift focus on. It just makes for comics. Thats why marvels xmen needs a game of thrones tv show. fukk a mcu. Build that shyt. Long tetm. 20 years.

That and fanastic 4s original run

Last edited:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Objectively it's Watchmen, but my personal 'Godfather' of comic books is Grant Morrison's Animal Man run.

Morrison has always been hit or miss with me, but Animal Man is one of my favorite runs of all time.
That's a fantastic run :salute:

ig88

Bounty Hunter
Daps
Reppin
Intergalactic
Watchmen 32 years old tho :dwillhuh:

How is that not longterm at this point?
I mean its a 12 issue one time book so its easy to give it classic godfather status for what it is. Its got a clear start and end. Most comics dont have that. So for a tpb short term comic its legendary.

The Comic medium by its design is on going so there really aint definining “book” to give. A lot of great stories get wack followthru. The only one thats close is xmen cuz for literally 25 years it was the best comic out.

That or the original fantastic 4 run. Those two are the illest defining the very medium today.

I mean theres plenty of classkc solo batman stories but i wouldnt call any of them watchmen level but i would say days of future past into god loves man kills into dark oheonix (order off, etc) is watchmen/godfather caliber.

Last edited:

Omerta

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OZ via El Barrio
@hex Can you edit the thread title for me. I'm on my phone and autocorrect is a bish. Should say OR and not OF of course. Thanks breh.

I see the mentions of Watchmen and TDKR, but they are more than 30 years a go. Are y'all saying that nothing since has gone to the top of the ladder? Not Fables, Preacher or even All Star Superman?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
@hex Can you edit the thread title for me. I'm on my phone and autocorrect is a bish. Should say OR and not OF of course. Thanks breh.

I see the mentions of Watchmen and TDKR, but they are more than 30 years a go. Are y'all saying that nothing since has gone to the top of the ladder? Not Fables, Preacher or even All Star Superman?

All star Superman, Snyder’s Batman run, saga, and a few others are dope . But none of them are a singular work like watchmen is