What is the consensus "Godfather" or "Shawshank" of comic books?

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
Nothing wrong with Citizen Kane. :ufdup:

With that said The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen are top tier and I've come to really love and appreciate Kingdom Come over the years. I even own the audio version of that book.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
I mean its a 12 issue one time book so its easy to give it classic godfather status for what it is. Its got a clear start and end. Most comics dont have that. So for a tpb short term comic its legendary.

The Comic medium by its design is on going so there really aint definining “book” to give. A lot of great stories get wack followthru. The only one thats close is xmen cuz for literally 25 years it was the best comic out.

That or the original fantastic 4 run. Those two are the illest defining the very medium today.

I mean theres plenty of classkc solo batman stories but i wouldnt call any of them watchmen level but i would say days of future past into god loves man kills into dark oheonix (order off, etc) is watchmen/godfather caliber.
It's not just the story, it's how it's written. the quality of writing is incredible. the entire chapter with Dr Manhattan that's focused on time is mind blowing.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK,DE,MUFC,DMV
X-Men - Claremont/Byrne run (Magneto, Hellfire Club, Proteus, Dark Pheonix, Cyclops leaves, Alpha Flight, Shiar, Imperial Guard, Sentinels, Brotherhood of Evil Mutants)

uxm-137-146-147.jpg

s-l300.jpg

volcano_1.PNG

220px-XMen135.jpg

Uncanny-X-Men-134-1980-Reader-1st-Appearance-DARK.jpg

uncanny-x-men-142-wolverine-storm-e1400635305872.jpg

Uncanny_X_men__117_farouk.jpg

Thor - Simonson run (Doom, Twilight, Last Viking, Malekith, Balder the Brave, Loki, Fafnir, Beta Ray Bill, Surtur, Bor/Odinforce, Throg, Lorelei, Entchantress, Karnilla). Simonson's art was an amazing fit for Thor.

doom2.jpg

250px-Thorvs.Fafnir.jpg

tobattle.jpg

X-Men - Claremont run (Wraiths, Brood, Morlocks, Nimrod, Binary, Hellfire Club, Deathbird, Forge)

1973924-uncanny_x_men__1963__165.jpeg

22325-3092-24907-1-uncanny-x-men-the.jpg

3676247-%24_3.jpg

Others
JLA - Crisis on Infinite Earths
Watchmen
The Killing Joke

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I would say Watchmen and the Dark Knight Returns are the objective answers. For long-term storylines/runs, I'm also going to echo Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four, Lee/Ditko Spider-man, and Claremont X-men (especially the Byrne/Austin issues). Walt Simonson Thor and Frank Miller Daredevil are also lit runs :banderas:
All-Star Superman was great, and Year One and the Killing Joke are also good reads.

Shout-outs to Sandman, JLA Crisis on Infinite Earths, and Kingdom Come because I'm sleeping HARD on those stories.