What is the most useful non-STEM degree?

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yeah they do.
Particularly finance.
NPVs, IRRs, stock valuations…
It’s not differential equations, but it’s certainly math.

My dude, I have a bachelors in Finance and Accounting. I'm fully aware of what it takes to get the degree.

Yes you take some math courses. At most up to Calculus 2. The brunt of your courses are going to be more concentrated in economics and other business oriented courses. That doesn't mean it is a STEM degree. Finance and Accounting are business degrees, that's why every university has it in their business school.

RiffRaff

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston to LA like I'm Robert Horry.
Y’all be tellin nikkas this setting em up for failure

Bad idea to jus jump into a major U aren’t passionate nor talented in

I agree with this to an extent. If you’re not passionate about something AT ALL then wholeheartedly agree. I think too much of what happens in our community is we mistake “I’m not good at Math” so I don’t want do this, I can’t do this, and I don’t like it. If you have an interest in something go and do it. Math isa learnable skill for most folks but it takes putting in the work. Asians and Indians don’t come out the womb knowing Calculus :pachaha: there parents push them to be up on it.

For us it’s a bit more tricky because we have less role models in those fields but we got to switch up the narrative. You shouldn’t ignore STEM because you “Suck at Math”

god shamgod

Veteran
Daps
That’s great for your sister, but for context there’s probably 20 software engineers with backgrounds in STEM for everyone with a public relations degree. The software engineers median pay is probably 250K and they only need a bachelors :ld:

“Media pay probably 250k with a bachelors” :duck:

in Illinois median pay for that geek shyt is 82k

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/What-Is-the-Average-Software-Engineer-Salary-by-State

Do software engineers get all expense paid trips to go to nyc,l.a. & anywhere in the usa for business meetings? Doubt it

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
My dude, I have a bachelors in Finance and Accounting. I'm fully aware of what it takes to get the degree.

Yes you take some math courses. At most up to Calculus 2. The brunt of your courses are going to be more concentrated in economics and other business oriented courses. That doesn't mean it is a STEM degree. Finance and Accounting are business degrees, that's why every university has it in their business school.
This is why alot of people avoid these majors too, because they think its math and they feel intimidated by it.

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse

My breh…I have an MBA in Finance.
The M simply means it’s a career in which math is a foundation. Not that you take 100% math courses. Math is certainly a foundation of finance, I mean…it’s finance.

RiffRaff

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston to LA like I'm Robert Horry.
“Media pay probably 250k with a bachelors” :duck:

in Illinois median pay for that geek shyt is 82k

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/What-Is-the-Average-Software-Engineer-Salary-by-State

Do software engineers get all expense paid trips to go to nyc,l.a. & anywhere in the usa for business meetings? Doubt it
Sorry I was just referencing Google. I work at a top tech company so I know software engineers are making bank at Google, Facebook, etc.

Average pay for an L3, basically someone who can get a job at Google right out of college is 191K

Google Salaries | Levels.fyi

Every step above that can increase their average salary by about 70K

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
The M simply means it’s a career in which math is a foundation. Not that you take 100% math courses. Math is certainly a foundation of finance, I mean…it’s finance.
:dead:
M stands for master. Master as in you have demonstrated a mastery of a specific field of study. MBA literally means Master in Business Administration. The m doesn't stand for math, you can get a masters in art.

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
:dead:
M stands for master. Master as in you have demonstrated a mastery of a specific field of study. MBA literally means Master in Business Administration.
Uhh, what the fukk are you talking about breh?

I’m referring to the M in STEM…as in the topic of the thread???
:mjlol:

Rockstar Mom

PhatGurlSwag
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn!!!!!
I did Disability studies. I’ve worked a few hospital positions before settling into Housing. And in Housing, I work with primarily elderly and disabled tenants. I’ve been doing just fine with my non-stem degree:yeshrug: But I’m also passionate about working with the elderly and disabled(and children), so that helps. I don’t think people should just get any ol degree, but I also don’t think you should get a degree based on money. You should go to school for something you’re passionate about.

Also, I be getting paid great. Can’t relate to the “no-stem-means-no-money” life :wow:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Uhh, what the fukk are you talking about breh?

I’m referring to the M in STEM…as in the topic of the thread???
:mjlol:
I t looked like you said the M in MBA stands for math. i quoted you. thats your fault if you meant something else.
But either way you are wrong. Business is the foundation of Finance and Accounting, hence the reason it is a business major.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I’ll tell you brehs one thing that I regret. I have a Human Resources degree and have no interest in actually doing it. I just took the degree that was fastest for me to get with my military credits and random classes I took. So at least having a degree within a field you are actually interested in helps.

I’ve been debating going back to school but of course they want me to pursue a masters. I do have a minor in business management but I also have no interest in that. What I’m interested in is operations security.

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
This is why alot of people avoid these majors too, because they think its math and they feel intimidated by it.

Yeah to this day when I tell people what I do, they assume I'm doing a lot of math. I just laugh. If I'm building financial models sure, but not for any accounting stuff.

Perhaps I'm misconstruing what you were saying. I thought you were implying that Finance is a STEM degree. While yes, math is a foundation for finance, I would argue that its more economics based based on the study of the economy and the financial markets. A lot of the quantitative stuff you do in your finance courses are pulled from economics.

tater

Superstar
Daps
Yeah, I heard about technical writing but I don't know if I can make enough from it to survive off it. I live in an expensive part of Southern California. I feel like freelancing is not stable enough for a career.

Journalism was my first major so I took several classes but a bunch of people on the Coli, other forums/websites, and IRL said that was an useless degree and a dead end. So I switched it to PR, a similar enough but different major. I published a few articles I wrote already during my time as a journalism major.
journalism.

I just wanted to tell you, my cousin has a bachelor's in tech writing. She makes 6 figures (PLUS she gets great stock options) and is pretty new to the field. Took her about 2.5 years to get there, but the other jobs she had paid well too (70-80k range). These were at very reputable companies and people around the country were willing to hire her. You don't have to freelance! You can work from home and it seems the culture of the writers in that field is pretty chill. She even smokes weed and does her work. It's pretty chill, lol. I thought about doing it after all the success she's seen.