What is the most useful non-STEM degree?

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
:mjlol:

I don’t know why but this line is hilarious
Resorting to mockery because you are making terrible arguments that have no factual basis. I feel like you probably lying about educational background if you believe what you're saying. no one in accounting or finance would claim they were in a math field

RiffRaff

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston to LA like I'm Robert Horry.
And let me just say this. STEM is by no means a magic bullet nor is it for everyone. In every industry the top folks in their craft will have the opportunity to make bank that’s how it works.

What STEM and more specifically Computer Science allows unlike most professions is these three things.

1. Demand - The amount of job openings for Software Engineers and Data Scientists is insane and it’s only projected to grow over the next decade. I get on average 3-4 messages a week from recruiters all over the country looking for these roles despite being gainfully employed.

2. High paying - Not everyone is making 250K+ but it’s certainly more probabilistically achievable in this field then let’s say an HR rep. Putting in the work to get into a top tier tech company can set you on a path to make enough money to do what you want whenever you want. That’s been my experience.

3. Low investment relative to returns. Unlike professions such as Doctors and Lawyers you don’t need to stay in school forever to become
a software engineer. Typically a bachelors degree will suffice.

There aren’t a lot of fields that overlap all three of these groupings.
So pay of a lawyer, without needing to take out a 6 figure student loan, and opportunities ample. First job out of college is tricky like in most fields but after that it can be smooth sailing.

Is it for everyone? Absolutely not. I like it, but it’s not the most fun thing in the world for me either. However, I make enough that in 10 years if I want to follow my true passions instead I can do so without having to stress about finances

Last edited:

GetSomeMoney

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Y’all be tellin nikkas this setting em up for failure

Bad idea to jus jump into a major U aren’t passionate nor talented in
Then maybe you shouldn't go to college, honestly, yall nikkas stay trying to play life the way you want and then complain about getting under paying jobs on top of having a large debt. How many times have we seen post with people complaining about college debt and job options after going to college for a "passion" degree. You have plenty of time outside of work to find a passion.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Some good ones listed.

I'd also say learn a foreign language. Some companies will train you up or train other people because you can speak an in demand language.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Then maybe you shouldn't go to college, honestly, yall nikkas stay trying to play life the way you want and then complain about getting under paying jobs on top of having a large debt. How many times have we seen post with people complaining about college debt and job options after going to college for a "passion" degree. You have plenty of time outside of work to find a passion.
Yes i agree. people need to save all the passion and having fun mentality for their hobbies. work is work. it's done so you can afford to do things that make you happy. This whole attitude rings with entitlement, people think the should be able to get rich doing stuff they enjoy. If you can make that work you are a lucky person. but i would recommend taking the best opportunity over the favorite one 9 times out of 10.

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
Resorting to mockery because you are making terrible arguments that have no factual basis. I feel like you probably lying about educational background if you believe what you're saying. no one in accounting or finance would claim they were in a math field
You in here talking about faking educational background when you can’t even demonstrate basic reading comprehension. Couldn’t even demonstrate the ability to read my post in the context of the topic of the thread.
:snoop:
If you had any understanding of finance you’d understand the the field has many branches including those that deal almost exclusively with STEM such as computational finance. Hell even basic Financial Analyst positions deal heavily with math if they focus on project valuations.

fukk on outta here…
:snooze:

Mass

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Stop wasting time. Either get involved in STEM (Comp Sci, Nursing, Med School, electrical engineer, chemical engineering, etc) or one of those non stem degrees I mentioned. Anything else is nonsense and a waste of money.
Take this man’s advice, seriously. All that other shyt is an absolute waste of fukking time

Astroslik

Veteran
Daps
Because of Engineering?

Just cuz something is difficult doesn't mean it's STEM.

Otherwise Finance and Acctg definitely wouldn't be STEM because they are easy as fukk lol

For OP what about trying to become a paralegal? I think that Poli Sci is usually the undergrad degree for that but idk.
I never said that. Architecture requires mathematical formulas to design buildings. There’s a lot of math involved.

Kski

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Sorry I was just referencing Google. I work at a top tech company so I know software engineers are making bank at Google, Facebook, etc.

Average pay for an L3, basically someone who can get a job at Google right out of college is 191K

Google Salaries | Levels.fyi

Every step above that can increase their average salary by about 70K
It’s stupid hard to get a software engineering job at companies like Facebook, Google, Amazon, etc.

At most other companies, comp sci folks don’t start out at even half that. The cream of the crop and the experienced in any field pull in bank

How much debt tho?

Probably none. A lot of Ph.Ds are fully funded with a monthly stipend because you’re considered faculty. My fiancée’s is the same way. Her Masters at a different school was also fully funded