what is top locking defense?

Roland Coltrane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
AA GANG
I've seen it a lot in the news lately, mostly pertaining to the Clippers strategy in guarding KD.
can somebody knowledgeable explain it in layman's terms?

I don't understand this shyt :yeshrug:

all I can gather is that it has something to do with forcing guys below the three point line

100Percent

Deviatin' septums
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Its like icing a pick and roll except for off ball screens.

Say you have Steph curry on the corner three. The warriors like to do wide pindowns for steph to get an off screen then move towards the center of the three point line then get the pass right when he's open. It looks like this

Basically top locking is the center or whoever is guarding the screener gets in the way of that cut and giving up back door cuts down the baseline instead, trusting that you have help at the rim.

Thats how I understand it someone can come and correct me if Im wrong

Roland Coltrane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
AA GANG
Its like icing a pick and roll except for off ball screens.

Say you have Steph curry on the corner three. The warriors like to do wide pindowns for steph to get an off screen then move towards the center of the three point line then get the pass right when he's open. It looks like this

Basically top locking is the center or whoever is guarding the screener gets in the way of that cut and giving up back door cuts down the baseline instead, trusting that you have help at the rim.

Thats how I understand it someone can come and correct me if Im wrong

so all the defenses in that video were an example of top locking?
how does the forcing the players below the three point line factor in?

100Percent

Deviatin' septums
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
so all the defenses in that video were an example of top locking?
how does the forcing the players below the three point line factor in?
Sorry for the late reply.

Nah, in the video were examples of the wide pin downs which top locking defenses aim to defend. The goal is to take away the options that wide pin downs give by stopping the roller from getting to the center of the 3pt line. Someones going to move to their side and basically block them from going that direction. Theyre trying to lock them from getting the top of the 3pt line. Instead they're giving up back cuts down the baseline and trusting they have help at the rim.

100Percent

Deviatin' septums
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Watch closely at around 1:25 of the video. You see how JR gets hit by the screen and Amare just sits back? KD move towards the point and get a wide open 3. Thats a wide pindown.

In a toplock defense, someones going to basically block his path to the right and effectively take away that pass.