What Makes Someone Native American? (Lumbee Tribe) - Washington Post 8/20/2018

Shoog Shatmi

All Star
Daps
Lumberton, Pembroke, Maxton, St Paul, Hope Mill, Laurinburg, Fairmount NC. That’s Lumbee Central right there
I went to Lumberton once when I drove a big truck. There was this dusty truck stop across the street from the warehouse I dropped at and I parked there for a few hours while I waited for another trip. It was a weird scene. There were all these people just loitering around the truck stop and they were so racially unusual (for lack of a better word) looking to me that I was legit like, "Where the fukk am I?" Some cats looked vaguely mulatto while others looked almost Polynesian. I was so curious I googled the town and realized that I was in Lumbee country and it all made sense, because I had read about them before.

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
Yeah... that and 2 other reasons

whites like being able to see their handiwork and continue to torture people
Funny that those White folk BROKE every treaty that they made with the American Indians. I remember in 4th Grade we had this motivational speaker come to our school by the name of Red Hawk. Dude told us his experiences as a Native American.

Killah Ray

Carolina hail to thee....
Daps
I was just in Lumberton yesterday and am close to a lot of Lumbees...its a really fukked up situation they have.

But I'll give them credit, the older heads are still fighting for recognition which if they don't get it, will be a lost cause because the younger crowd doesn't seem to care that much.

Side note, easiest way to tell if you're talking to a Lumbee is if they refer to you as pa...

SirReginald

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
I was just in Lumberton yesterday and am close to a lot of Lumbees...its a really fukked up situation they have.

But I'll give them credit, the older heads are still fighting for recognition which if they don't get it, will be a lost cause because the younger crowd doesn't seem to care that much.

Side note, easiest way to tell if you're talking to a Lumbee is if they refer to you as pa...
I hope they continue putting up that fight.

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
One of my friends is Lumbee. They clearly look Indian (we used to call them Mexicans as kids). I need to hit them up.

SirReginald

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
One of my friends is Lumbee. They clearly look Indian (we used to call them Mexicans as kids). I need to hit them up.
That's dope. Also, I know NC is the home of the Lumbee's. Do they have some fine ass Lumbee chicks there? Thinking about going down to NC soon.

AggiePride336.

Black American. The Sipp/Carolina.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
I love Lumberton, but it can be depressing as hell. So much poverty and crime. That hurricane that hit pretty much destroyed the south side. Most of the blacks and Lumbees live on the south side, then the whites just outside of downtown. Tupac’s mama lived over there. My grandma lives on the south side right off MLK, and her best friend is an older Lumbee lady. She used to always tell me and my sister, that even with her being Lumbee, she was black just like us. She was a fine older woman. Accent was country as hell, and a lot of them have thick country accents.

Killah Ray

Carolina hail to thee....
Daps
I love Lumberton, but it can be depressing as hell. So much poverty and crime. That hurricane that hit pretty much destroyed the south side. Most of the blacks and Lumbees live on the south side, then the whites just outside of downtown. Tupac’s mama lived over there. My grandma lives on the south side right off MLK, and her best friend is an older Lumbee lady. She used to always tell me and my sister, that even with her being Lumbee, she was black just like us. She was a fine older woman. Accent was country as hell, and a lot of them have thick country accents.

Yup. I used to date a Lumbee a few years ago and her grandma was telling me when they were kids they were forced to mark negro as their race.

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
My dad’s side of the family are Croatan natives from NC in Sampson county. AncestryDNA showed me some my ancestors who were referenced in this book

BookReaderImages.php

BookReaderImages.php

These are apparently my (great X 3) grandparents.

The Croatan Indians of Sampson County, North Carolina : their origin and racial status : a plea for separate schools

SirReginald

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
My dad’s side of the family are Croatan natives from NC in Sampson county. AncestryDNA showed me some my ancestors who were referenced in this book

BookReaderImages.php

BookReaderImages.php

These are apparently my (great X 3) grandparents.

The Croatan Indians of Sampson County, North Carolina : their origin and racial status : a plea for separate schools
That's dope. I know my Ancestry, but I got to learn more about my relatives. Even though I lack a lot of Native ancestry I have Natives in my family down in NC.