What Makes Someone Native American? (Lumbee Tribe) - Washington Post 8/20/2018

NoirDynosaur

Yurrrrrrrrrr
Daps
Reppin
Planet Earth
yeah, every "Lumbee" name is found in the "AfricanAmerican " identitfied population because Lumbee's are an offshoot of early FPC, afroamerican

yup..see below from an older thread on Afram identity and how multilayered it is

As I said before, the "Afram" ethnicity and culture is very multi layered and more complex than many people realize. Afram splinter or subgroups are very regional for example (this also gives more context into the mullato or creole traditions of the lower south)

ZuZBC.png

o7Ujg.png

Basically the Lumbee became an offshoot of Aframs because they didn't want to adhere to the basic 2 tier USA colorline. The ancestors of the Lumbees were called "old issue negroes" which meant they were free(d) before the Civil War.

Free People of Color in the USA

The people who are known as Lumbees today refused to go to schools with newly freed slaves. This is how they got their own school and helped further their identity as "Indians" rather than "Coloreds-Mulattos-Negroes-Blacks"

Lumbee | World Public Library - eBooks | Read eBooks online

Y0NeH1F.jpg

3YCWbf1.jpg

WqvTc9A.jpg

HviWY97.jpg

3VZ47as.jpg

They (that old issue negro stock of Virginians) didn't all try to become "Indians" though, so today you have people that are related where some identify as "Lumbee Indian", "Afram and Lumbee or Black Indian" and others only as "Afram". For example

ayKfKIb.jpg
(Afram identified but of the same stock as Lumbee identified people)

PenderROCK > 'PenderROCK'?

Damn...Self hate is one of hell of a drug. Illmatic stay coming with them gems:myman: Another book also reveals another puzzle of the piece:jbhmm:
9781469621876.jpg

As for "Native Americans", a lot of them are mainly Mongloid race (Asian). When the cacs was promoting manifest destiny in U.S., folks headed south. The typical mestizo is... a mixture of Spaniards (Cacican) and NA. Some NA mated with Indigneous Africans which you'll find in Central America.

the-mestizo.jpg

devizelle

Pro
Daps
Reppin
MOCO awl day
Yes, the Lumbee. Genetically they are mostly white with a minority of black ancestry. They adopted an "Indian" identity to avoid the stigma and legal consequences of being considered part black.

Hmmm. This is so interesting. That's crazy that they have no Native DNA but they look... different. Like some of them DEF do not look biracial Afram + white.

DaKidFromNoWhere

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Tar Heel State
@IllmaticDelta dropped that real shyt and I couldn't have came any better with it.
All I can say is you will be hard pressed to find any black history here in Lumberton and they a reason why:mjpls:
I love Lumberton, but it can be depressing as hell. So much poverty and crime. That hurricane that hit pretty much destroyed the south side. Most of the blacks and Lumbees live on the south side, then the whites just outside of downtown. Tupac’s mama lived over there. My grandma lives on the south side right off MLK, and her best friend is an older Lumbee lady. She used to always tell me and my sister, that even with her being Lumbee, she was black just like us. She was a fine older woman. Accent was country as hell, and a lot of them have thick country accents.
Lies
South Lumberton is a predominate African American community, I was raised on the south they not that many Lumbees over there.
Hell most be afraid to drive over there.
West Lumberton is Lumbee side.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Hmmm. This is so interesting. That's crazy that they have no Native DNA but they look... different. Like some of them DEF do not look biracial Afram + white.

their look comes from almost 400 years of multigen mixing + inbreeding while being over 60% white on avg. Multigen mixing creates more variance than what you would see from 1st gen afram + white mix.

AggiePride336.

Black American. The Sipp/Carolina.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
@IllmaticDelta dropped that real shyt and I couldn't have came any better with it.
All I can say is you will be hard pressed to find any black history here in Lumberton and they a reason why:mjpls:

Lies
South Lumberton is a predominate African American community, I was raised on the south they not that many Lumbees over there.
Hell most be afraid to drive over there.
West Lumberton is Lumbee side.
You was raised there, so I’ll def admit I was wrong. My grandma lives off of MLK and Utah on the south, and I just know there were a few Lumbees I’d see around. The west near Fairmont and Pembroke makes sense, though.

96Blue

Superstar
Daps
So, these people are just biracial/multi-racial people that hi-jacked the native American identity so that they didn't have to lumped together with us?

Edit: I've never heard of melungeon, Lumbee, or haliwa saponi people until now. All of these people are just biracial/multi-racial people that made up an identity?

DaKidFromNoWhere

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Tar Heel State
So, these people are just biracial/multi-racial people that hi-jacked the native American identity so that they didn't have to lumped together with us?

Edit: I've never heard of melungeon, Lumbee, or haliwa saponi people until now. All of these people are just biracial/multi-racial people that made up an identity?
In a nutshell...

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

yes, for the most part with a few smatterings of real Amerindian admx

All of these groups from like virginia down to florida are kinda connected from the afroeuropean side of things but they all claim different amerindian backgrounds.

5face81501eb240b1692730dcdcf9d4d.gif

invalid

Banned
Daps
@IllmaticDelta good shyt as usual!

It’s a trip to me how groups like the Haliwa-Saponi and Lumbee came up with their names like no one would deem that shyt suspect.
:dead::russ:

I assume they used generic identifiers like Cherokee and Blackfoot before coming up with their current names.

:mjlol:

These people are so lost, they out here appropriating the dress and costumes affiliated with Natives from the Great Plains and Western States.

Lumbees.....

cost1.jpg

Navajos.....

006_AME6253.jpg

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
their look comes from almost 400 years of multigen mixing + inbreeding while being over 60% white on avg. Multigen mixing creates more variance than what you would see from 1st gen afram + white mix.
:mjlol:
Same here in the DMV specifically DC, PG county and Charles , Me and Delonte West have the same cousins through marriage. and their family is piscattaway indian/black/white according to the family tradition and its crazy cause Delontes bipolar behavior is very common in their family The years of mixing and inbreeding with the same 5 families for 100's of years has affected certain members physically or mentally. All the 5-7 families are related by blood.

I will say that for the most part they are culturally AA and many identify/marry black specifically newmans,swans, proctors etc. literally where their family is from is called "indianhead".

Anyway some did DNA test and it came out only euro and african ancestry:mjgrin:

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've known/met quite a few lumbee people.

They claim to be Indian but genetically they probably have more in common with the creoles of Louisiana or even Caribbean Latinos.

A1aaa

Respectful Fade Runner & Card Puller
Daps
sooo... they're basically the american equivalent of dominicans... forging a largely falsified indian / taino ancestry to distance themselves from blackness

pathetic in 2018 :mjlol: