What piece of popular technology came and went the fast

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
In any case dude missed the point of the thread. How you say the game boy line came and went.

:mjlol:

shyt came out in 89, remained a hot item for years and then EXPLODED even more NINE years later with the Pokemon craze. shyt was still a household item in every kids book bag well into the mid 2000s. The damn thing was the most popularized and longest running electronic device for ages.

The DS came out and sold 100 million + too. Handheld gaming is far from dead. Hell I'm 32 and I got a Switch.

SupaDupaCool

Superstar
Daps
Damn breh, could go more in depth :ohhh:

You're a rare breed: the Sega Saturn online scene was short lived and expensive, wasn't it? Wasn't the Netplay expensive and didn't sell much?

How was it like? Were there lobbies?

Did you enjoy the Saturn?

Me, and most of the fellas in my family were hardcore dedicated Sega heads to the very end. Uncles had Master Systems and beyond. I had Genesis and beyond. Loved all of Sega's products, even when they wasn't on top. Saturn peripherals was expensive as shyt. My Uncle bought it for us but I remember it being somewhere around 80-100 dollars if I remember correctly. It was a full blown dial up modem in a box. There were no "lobbies" or big scenes for the Saturn online community at the time. The Netlink was just allowed up to a whopping 2 people to connect and compete directly with each other. You'd call up someone on their phone, ask if they wanna play, if they say yes you hit the online mode on your game and then you'd submit the person's phone number, dial, and connect with each other directly. That was it. I remember it being very reliable, no lag, and technically two people with Sega Saturn's, Netlink modems, and phone land lines can still use it to this day if I'm not mistaken.

The funny part is that some games, like Duke Nukem 3D, threw in the online mode but forgot to code the game to disable cheat codes during online multiplayer. So my knucklehead cousins use to turn on invincibility and then prank my confused Uncle online.

:russ:

Also when you did chat with each other in a post-game "lobby" you can actually see each other type and erase messages as you submitted, rather than hiding that until the message is sent, as chat rooms would eventually do.

:russ:

The Netlink even had a full blown functional HTML web browser (something that even Xbox, Playstation and todays brands wouldn't have for ages) and an email client. You sure couldn't get that on Playstation. Sure couldn't get it on Nintendo 64. It was awesome for it's time! Sega does NOT get the credit they deserve.

Clayton Endicott

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
A lodge of the Saints John of Jerusalem
Breh I had a Game Gear with Sonic, Tails Adventure, Shinobi, NBA Jam, and Shining Force. I poured hours and a life time supply of AA batteries in that motherfukker.

Saturday morning cartoons + Shining Force and Shinobi during commercial breaks all up in my bedroom.

:wow:

Now those was the days
My brother got one for Christmas. Spent HOURS trying to find all the chaos emeralds in Sonic 2, and playing Streets Of Rage 2 :wow:

hatealot

Banned
Daps
My brother got one for Christmas. Spent HOURS trying to find all the chaos emeralds in Sonic 2, and playing Streets Of Rage 2 :wow:
I almost caught all the emeralds in those special zones in sonic 2. Got to the last emerald and failed at the last moment.

I tore my room the fukk up. Cried, beat up my ninja turtles. Till this day its fukk them emeralds.

Software

RIP Future Gohan
Daps
Reppin
Swole Gang
Another beast that got bushed by the Playstation.

Sony can eat a bag of wombat nuts:hhh:
It got bushed cuz the Saturn sucked so bad with it its launch and price that Sega couldn't recoup the customers and sales it lost to Sony. Just like Xbox now would be bushed if it didn't have a multi billion dollar corporation backing it and able to absorb it's failures :sas2:
Xbox Game pass still the best value gaming product on the market tho so they get a pass :obama:

I would be all over a new gen IPOD touch with 500gb-1tb storage and capable of playing any audio / video files esp FLAC audio.
Just buy an IPhone... they got 500gb storage

I would be all over a new gen IPOD touch with 500gb-1tb storage and capable of playing any audio / video files esp FLAC audio.

The game gear is another black sheep of the sega lineup that shouldge been more successful. It had a great library, made gameboy look like a joke hardware wise. It even had a working TV tuner at one point. The Nomad wasnt so bad either.

I cant evrn imagine what the portable gaming market would be today is Sega if they beat Game Boy and had success to fall back on there. They wouldve been big.

Nomad had shytty battery life and took like 10 batteries no kid was playing that unless they parents was rich. I could play Pokémon for days on 2 batteries

Last edited:

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Blu Rays are still around for ps5 (and possibly ps6 games) but the movies did evaporate. I paid $3k for a 3D fb (after they took $2k off the original msrp) about 6 years ago during that fad. My only regret was paying the extra $500 premium for the 3D feature that I’ve used maybe 10 times since owning it. Still a beautiful set though and people think it’s 4K so I let them believe whatever they want when watching the with me. Going to ride this bytch till the wheels fall off then upgrade with a future proof tc just like this one got me almost a decade, probably drop $5-7k for a Sony or another Samsung since that Frame tv has my attention right now.