What piece of popular technology came and went the fast

Krisrunner2049

Pretty boi CFO Squirrels Burgers KillaKwuads
Daps
Reppin
Downtown LA(cityboi)
:dead: @Krisrunner2049 this thread is exhibit B
These nikkas grew up going to clubs where the djs was scratching and mixin live:dead:these nikkas got nudes from bytches on Polaroids :dead:these nikkas used cassette recorders to make their mixtapes then sold it out the trunk of they car:dead:these nikkas didn’t have ubereats they used carrier pigeons to get McDonald’s at 3am:dead:@Pigeon

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
Me, and most of the fellas in my family were hardcore dedicated Sega heads to the very end. Uncles had Master Systems and beyond. I had Genesis and beyond. Loved all of Sega's products, even when they wasn't on top. Saturn peripherals was expensive as shyt. My Uncle bought it for us but I remember it being somewhere around 80-100 dollars if I remember correctly. It was a full blown dial up modem in a box. There were no "lobbies" or big scenes for the Saturn online community at the time. The Netlink was just allowed up to a whopping 2 people to connect and compete directly with each other. You'd call up someone on their phone, ask if they wanna play, if they say yes you hit the online mode on your game and then you'd submit the person's phone number, dial, and connect with each other directly. That was it. I remember it being very reliable, no lag, and technically two people with Sega Saturn's, Netlink modems, and phone land lines can still use it to this day if I'm not mistaken.

The funny part is that some games, like Duke Nukem 3D, threw in the online mode but forgot to code the game to disable cheat codes during online multiplayer. So my knucklehead cousins use to turn on invincibility and then prank my confused Uncle online.

:russ:

Also when you did chat with each other in a post-game "lobby" you can actually see each other type and erase messages as you submitted, rather than hiding that until the message is sent, as chat rooms would eventually do.

:russ:

The Netlink even had a full blown functional HTML web browser (something that even Xbox, Playstation and todays brands wouldn't have for ages) and an email client. You sure couldn't get that on Playstation. Sure couldn't get it on Nintendo 64. It was awesome for it's time! Sega does NOT get the credit they deserve.
An HTML web browser? That's dope!

And a chat?
shyt must have felt futuristic at the time. Did you feel let down by the PS1/PS2/GC?

What a shame about Sega. If only their house was in order. The Saturn was trying to do some good shyt - but it was unfocused.

The Don

The Illest
Daps
Reppin
P-Town
The 2-way. Had a song and everything but the introduction of texting on cell phones, the sidekick, and blackberry put it out of business before it even blew up

supertrekker

Superstar
Daps
Blackberry. Research in Motion was one of the fastest growing companies in the early 2000s and everybody just had to have a Blackberry phone. Then Apple introduced the IPhone and that was it for them

SupaDupaCool

Superstar
Daps
It got bushed cuz the Saturn sucked so bad with it its launch and price that Sega couldn't recoup the customers and sales it lost to Sony. Just like Xbox now would be bushed if it didn't have a multi billion dollar corporation backing it and able to absorb it's failures :sas2:
Xbox Game pass still the best value gaming product on the market tho so they get a pass :obama:

Just buy an IPhone... they got 500gb storage

Nomad had shytty battery life and took like 10 batteries no kid was playing that unless they parents was rich. I could play Pokémon for days on 2 batteries

Saturn failed mostly because an extremely out of touch corporate Sega of America did not anticipate consumer trends.

Sega believed that arcade hits at home, some obscure (and frankly AWFUL) Western titles for American audiences, and multimedia capabilities backed by the Sega brand would carry the Saturn through its life span. Like @International Koala earlier said, Sega of America left an entire wonderful library of Saturn games in Japan because they just didnt anticipate how popular Japanese RPG games would become.

Meanwhile Sony anticipated the death of arcade gaming and the explosive popularity of story and CGI driven gaming experiences like RPGs being the next big thing. And they were 100% right. Final Fantasy VII and Pokemon is what ultimately bushed any shot the Saturn had. No one in 97 or 98 was passing up those franchises to play Daytona USA and Virtua Fighter at home.

Even Nintendo failed to anticipate how big these games would be even though RPGs were a huge part of the SNES appeal over the Genesis. They opted for cartridges in the N64 instead of CD technology, which alienated third parties like Squaresoft and Enix and saw them move development over to the Playstation. One of Nintendo's biggest blunders that forever killed them since. Sony had the right strategy in '95.

By 98 Sega tried desperately to import adventure games from their Japanese library like Shining Force III and Panzer Dragoon saga, but by then it was all too late. Had Sega of America been smart and focused on Japanese imports, especially adventure and RPG titles instead of arcade hits they could've at least come in 2nd place that generation.

And yeah the Nomad was a little too ahead of its time but the concept was sweet. A friend of a friend of mine had one back in the day. He pretty much made my boring church Sundays. I couldnt believe this nikka had a full blown Sega Genesis on the go. We use to sit by an outlet and rock that shyt until it was time to leave. You can even plug a Genesis controller into it and play 2 player. It was a great little piece of hardware I might have to collect some day.

NEC was also pretty innovative with the Turbo Express. The shyt actually played TurboGrafx16 cards eight there. And it was full color.

Just saying its interesting how far superior every other company was with portable gaming in its infancy while Game Boy with its spinach green display bushed all of them over night.

Last edited:

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Gotta cosign

Ipod

Got obliterated by phones.

Why the fukc they call something a "podcast" til this day?

Ain't nobody consuming a podcast form an ipod. And most of them rely heavily on the video dimension. The ones I consume anyway. Usually it's a video clip.

In fact. I would never take time to listen to an audio version. I might sit down and watch the vid on YT on a lay afternoon for an hour tho.

/tangent