What went wrong: All of EJ Manuel's throws tonight

godkiller

"We are the Fury"
Daps
Reppin
NULL
(got this from the Bills forum)

All of EJ's passes tonight

This is just a quick break down of all of EJ's passes tonight and what happened, who was open, who missed their assignments and what should have happened.

1st Series:

2nd & 8 - Bills are in an offset I-formation with Summers behind Urbik, Lee Smith in next to Pears. Watkins is split up top and Williams is in close just outside Lee Smith's outside foot.

Good clean back for EJ. Entire offensive line does a good job in pass protection. Both Williams and Watkins run 6 yard hitches and are both covered. Manuel hits the open man in the middle of the field for a 9 yard gain.

1st & 10 - Bills are in I-formation with Lee Smith again next to Pears. Watkins split wide up top and Williams down low.

Offensive line again gives Manuel clean pocket. Spiller tries picking up MLB blitz but basically gets ran over. Would have been a sack if Manuel holds on to the ball a second later.

Both receivers are running "go" routes. Both are pretty much covered the first 20-25 yards but Watkins hits another gear right before the ball hits and leaves his man. Would have been 6 if Manuel hits him.

3rd & 3 - Bills are in shotgun with Jackson lined up next to Manuel. Williams split out wide up top, Chris Gragg lined up inside next to Henderson, Hogan in the slot next to Pears with Watkins down at the bottom.

Offensive line gives good protection on a quick three step drop.

Williams runs a 10 yard hitch, Gragg runs a "go" route, Hogan ran a 5 yard out and Watkins runs a 3 yard slant. Kiwanuka (sp) isn't really rushing the QB and Urbik comes off his block and allows Kiwanuka to jump and knock the pass down. Urbik is visually upset with letting his man knock the pass down. Watkins was pretty well covered so I'm not sure if he makes the catch anyways. Rogers-Cromartie was in his hip pocket.

2nd Series:

1st & 10 - Bills are again in I-formation. Lee Smith lined up next to Henderson with Williams up top split out wide and Watkins down low.

Offensive line again gives Manuel clean pocket. Not a Giants defender within 4-5 yards of Manuel.

It's an all "go" play for both outside receivers with Lee Smith running a 10 yard in route. Manuel does what Mike Williams has been telling him to do and just throw it up in the clouds. It's a good throw but the DB grabs Williams arm right as the pass arrives and he cant bring it down. Williams looks for a PI call.

2nd & 10 - Bills again in same formation as play before. Same personnel.

Manuel reads defense and sees its an all out blitz. Audibles out of it. Mike Williams at the snap just turns towards Manuel and Manuel hits him with quick pass for another first down. Would like to see this ran towards Watkins side as Williams doesnt have near the speed, acceleration.

2nd & 11 - Bills are in a single back, two tight end formation with Smith next to Henderson and Gragg next to Pears. Williams split wide up top and Watkins split down low.

The play is pretty simple. At the snap both tight ends are running towards the side lines and both outside receivers are running quick slants. It's a quick 3 step drop back for Manuel but the first miscommunication of the night happens on the Oline. The Giants are bringing a safety and MLB blitz to the left side of the Bills Oline. Henderson blocks down and no one blocks the MLB or JPP and both are in Manuels face immediately. JPP makes an easy play on the pass and knocks it down. Nothing Manuel could do. Williams had his guy beat for what may have been a touchdown.

3rd & 11 - Bills are in a single back with Williams up top, Hogan in the slot next to him and Gragg next to Henderson. Watkins is split down low. IHogan and Gragg are both running 3 yard outs, Williams is running a fade and Watkins is running a 3 yard slant. Manuel looks Watkins way the entire play and is nearly picked off. He can't stare down receivers and it's almost like he's trying to force the ball to Watkins.

Observations: The offensive line in limited action pass protected very good. I don't think their blitz protection packages are anywhere close to where they will be in the regular season but that's expected for a team that isn't game planning against the other team.

I don't think people need to get real worked up about anything the offense was doing tonight. Most of the pass routes were quick 3-6 yard routes. I would hope that the playbook would expand as preseason goes but tonight was very basic stuff for both the Bills and Giants.

Yung Yogurt

Culo Season
Daps
Reppin
Team Peakaboo
Smh I bet a cac made this, I wish I had the time to do this for Flacco or Andy Dalton...then again, I ain't some white faggy that has hate in his heart or time to do shyt like this. feel me?

I don't even like EJ like that but he seems like cool peoples so there u have it EJ Imma play the race card for u my nig...How u like them apples?

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse
I was gonna say that they ran nothing but quick drops with seemingly predetermined targets.
I think part of it had to do with Glenn not playing, not knowing what Henderson would do
and not wanting to risk Manuel getting hurt with an OLine still under construction

Should have just posted this in the Bills thread though. Only a few of us really care :heh:

Last edited:

who_better_than_me

Time to go!!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He just takes what the defense gives him. He don't look too comfortable throwing intermediate passes and farther. But it was the first preseason game.

Still though l, I said this last season but EJ plays like he just trying not to make any. Is takes. The coaching staff must really emphasize no turnovers.

He don't have a lot of great receiving option. Yeah they traded up for a great college wideout but that don't mean he going produce right away.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
EJ Manuel isn't the answer, start looking for another QB next year, this guy isn't even at Ryan Fitzpatricks level.

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
He just takes what the defense gives him. He don't look too comfortable throwing intermediate passes and farther. But it was the first preseason game.

Still though l, I said this last season but EJ plays like he just trying not to make any. Is takes. The coaching staff must really emphasize no turnovers.

He don't have a lot of great receiving option. Yeah they traded up for a great college wideout but that don't mean he going produce right away.
Watkins is ready to produce