What's Your Music Theory Game Hittin' For?

Aje

All Madden
Daps
Reppin
Don't Believe the Hype
Non-sample producers: How well do you understand, employ music theory in your original compositions? If you are familiar with any level of music theory, how did you accomplish such knowledge? In hip-hop, do you believe a thorough understanding of music theory is necessary?

Daps
Non-sample producers: How well do you understand, employ music theory in your original compositions? If you are familiar with any level of music theory, how did you accomplish such knowledge? In hip-hop, do you believe a thorough understanding of music theory is necessary?

I just started getting into straight up original compositions last year so I started from scratch and went the "piano for dummies" route and bought a whole bunch of books on theory, understanding chords, and music scales etc. I think once you getting a basic understanding of scales you really cant go wrong because all you have to do is stay in that scale and nothing, for the most part, will be out of sync/key.

Do I believe a thorough understanding of music theory is a necessity in hip hop? Hell no. I think alot of these new producers who are on the scene and came up probably aint pick up no book or went to a class etc. Hip Hop, to me, will always be more of a feeling. It it feels good and sounds good then you're good to go

Last edited:

♤♡♢♧
Daps
Reppin
the real hiphop.
I dont think a very deep understanding of music theory is necessary, basic level stuff is sufficient.

Study the game, how your favorite producer layers his beats, try to emulate it and master it then turn it into your own shyt.

Also study mixing techniques (something I need to get more heavy into).

Aje

All Madden
Daps
Reppin
Don't Believe the Hype
Re: a thorough understanding of theory: I think y'all are right. If the amount of theory comprehension = your ability to be a dope producer, dudes like Ryan Leslie - whom, I believe has a deep understanding of the science - would be the #1 in the game. Don't get me wrong, he got some ill beats, but, maybe, in a way, his knowledge hinders his creativity. (speculation),

I took one full year of theory in school, but still reread my text occasionally.

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Re: a thorough understanding of theory: I think y'all are right. If the amount of theory comprehension = your ability to be a dope producer, dudes like Ryan Leslie - whom, I believe has a deep understanding of the science - would be the #1 in the game. Don't get me wrong, he got some ill beats, but, maybe, in a way, his knowledge hinders his creativity. (speculation),

I took one full year of theory in school, but still reread my text occasionally.
i never subscribed to the school of thought that "more music theory restrains your creativity". creativity comes out of the soul. mastering the craft, technique and rules gives you control over your creativity. without it, yes you could still get lucky into making dope stuff. but you will have no control or method.

it's kinda like comparing a hustler to a businessman. yeah, the hustler might get rich. but combine it with the booksmarts and the sky is the limit. where as a dude who went to business school with no hustle in him what so ever will end up making someone else money. but if i had to bet on one, i'd bet on the hustler, cause a hustler can always educate himself. but a school boy with no hustle in him to begin with probably can't get himself some. just like a soulful dude can always learn more about music theory, but the opposite can't just go to "soul school"...

EDIT: also a cliché quote i forgot to add but i think it applies, you gotta learn the rules in order to learn how to break them.

Last edited:

KillSpray

Don't be mad
Daps
Reppin
The top of the City
You don't need a lot of theory, but at least a basic level understanding is good. I think the main thing with learning it is, it's one system and way at looking at music, but it doesn't completely address making hip hop beats IMO

Young/Nacho\Drawz

...come on let's picture the possibility...
Daps
Music is art. Music theory is someone else's interpretation of art. No human should follow someone else and what they think is a set standard in order to express themselves.

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
i know some scales, and chord progressions. right now I'm trying to train my ears so i always know what scale I'm hearing. once i get that its over....

Aje

All Madden
Daps
Reppin
Don't Believe the Hype
Music is art. Music theory is someone else's interpretation of art. No human should follow someone else and what they think is a set standard in order to express themselves.
i.e. you don't know any music theory. I'd love to hear your music. It better be atonal and not in any recognizable time signature.

KillSpray

Don't be mad
Daps
Reppin
The top of the City

Yeah you don't want to end up trying to reinvent the wheel either. Any piece of music that has ever been written can be analyzed thru music theory, it's more a way of seeing music than it is a set standard or "rules."

If you work with another musician it's gonna be easier to express your idea by saying hey the track is in C minor, it's a 4/4 time sig, with kick on the one, snare on the two instead of trying to hum and beat box it. With that said, it's a rabbit hole that goes deep as fukk and hip hop isn't usually the most musically complex shyt out there, so we don't need to learn to write music and all that.

Young/Nacho\Drawz

...come on let's picture the possibility...
Daps
Yeah you don't want to end up trying to reinvent the wheel either. Any piece of music that has ever been written can be analyzed thru music theory, it's more a way of seeing music than it is a set standard or "rules."

If you work with another musician it's gonna be easier to express your idea by saying hey the track is in C minor, it's a 4/4 time sig, with kick on the one, snare on the two instead of trying to hum and beat box it. With that said, it's a rabbit hole that goes deep as fukk and hip hop isn't usually the most musically complex shyt out there, so we don't need to learn to write music and all that.
If someone hums it's music, if someone beats on a trash can it's music, if someone whistles it's music, if someone sings it's music etc. It may not be music to your liking but it's music nevertheless. And just because it doesn't conform to a set of rules doesn't mean it's not music. It's best to go with your heart and express yourself honestly rather than box your emotions into some template.