What's Your Music Theory Game Hittin' For?

Aje

All Madden
Daps
Reppin
Don't Believe the Hype
If someone hums it's music, if someone beats on a trash can it's music, if someone whistles it's music, if someone sings it's music etc. It may not be music to your liking but it's music nevertheless. And just because it doesn't conform to a set of rules doesn't mean it's not music. It's best to go with your heart and express yourself honestly rather than box your emotions into some template.
I think you have the wrong interpretation of what music theory is. Music came first, then dudes in the middle ages, renaissance tried to figure it out in a logical way - and there is logic involved in music. Yes, music is an art, but it's also mathematics. Why certain notes (intervals, harmonies) go together better or "consonant" is because their frequencies link up in a "neater" way (for lack of a better description). Why do some chords create tension/dissonance? It's, again, the math involved in the frequencies. Each note has a frequency (in hertz) associated with it. A4 is generally considered to be at 440 Hz (sometimes people prefer 442 or 444, but still). All of this is logic and math coupled with emotion and soul. That's the beauty of music, in my humble. You can't have one without the other.

And, I listened to one of your beats and you were definitely employing music theory whether you were cognizant of it or not.

Young/Nacho\Drawz

...come on let's picture the possibility...
Daps
I think you have the wrong interpretation of what music theory is. Music came first, then dudes in the middle ages, renaissance tried to figure it out in a logical way - and there is logic involved in music. Yes, music is an art, but it's also mathematics. Why certain notes (intervals, harmonies) go together better or "consonant" is because their frequencies link up in a "neater" way (for lack of a better description). Why do some chords create tension/dissonance? It's, again, the math involved in the frequencies. Each note has a frequency (in hertz) associated with it. A4 is generally considered to be at 440 Hz (sometimes people prefer 442 or 444, but still). All of this is logic and math coupled with emotion and soul. That's the beauty of music, in my humble. You can't have one without the other.

And, I listened to one of your beats and you were definitely employing music theory whether you were cognizant of it or not.
lol You confirmed what I already said. Someone else came up with an interpretation of art and set it in a system. You can call it logical, say it makes sense, say it's the best way etc. but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and there is no right or wrong way of making music since it's art. That was my point then and now. If you think that the system employed is the best system, that's fine. But don't try to force that belief on everyone or act like music can't sound good without adhering to that system. It's a very narrow minded way of thinking.

Thanks for checking out my beats. I never said that I didn't employ music theory. In fact you were the one who said that I didn't know it. You made a faulty assumption.

i.e. you don't know any music theory. I'd love to hear your music. It better be atonal and not in any recognizable time signature.

KillSpray

Don't be mad
Daps
Reppin
The top of the City
lol You confirmed what I already said. Someone else came up with an interpretation of art and set it in a system. You can call it logical, say it makes sense, say it's the best way etc. but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and there is no right or wrong way of making music since it's art. That was my point then and now. If you think that the system employed is the best system, that's fine. But don't try to force that belief on everyone or act like music can't sound good without adhering to that system. It's a very narrow minded way of thinking.

Thanks for checking out my beats. I never said that I didn't employ music theory. In fact you were the one who said that I didn't know it. You made a faulty assumption.

It's not a belief though, it's a system for understanding music. You don't have to believe anything. Someone could be ignorant of music theory and still produce beautiful music. That music will still have a certain harmonic structure to it, and music theory will give you tools to see that. It's like language, you don't have to understand the rules of grammar to speak clearly. You can even develop slang and a style that functions differently than American English, but you can still analyze the sentence structure from a grammatical standpoint and see exactly what's happening, and where the word usage and sentence structure is different. There's a different between claiming non belief and ignorance. There's nothing to believe, it is what it is.

Young/Nacho\Drawz

Daps
It's not a belief though, it's a system for understanding music. You don't have to believe anything. Someone could be ignorant of music theory and still produce beautiful music. That music will still have a certain harmonic structure to it, and music theory will give you tools to see that. It's like language, you don't have to understand the rules of grammar to speak clearly. You can even develop slang and a style that functions differently than American English, but you can still analyze the sentence structure from a grammatical standpoint and see exactly what's happening, and where the word usage and sentence structure is different. There's a different between claiming non belief and ignorance. There's nothing to believe, it is what it is.

the·o·ry
ˈTHēərē,ˈTHi(ə)rē/
noun
noun: theory; plural noun: theories
a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, esp. one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained.
=======================
sup·po·si·tion
ˌsəpəˈziSHən/
noun
noun: supposition; plural noun: suppositions
an uncertain belief.

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
its only called "theory" because there is nothing stopping you from deviating from it.
the next step after theory is "law"...scientifically there is no way around a law.

that said its not an uncertain belief or a set of rules. its just a way to quantify it so it can be communicated. just like the periodic table in science.
its also not someone's interpretation for the sake of making something up. it verbalizes what was already there.

you are free to quantify it in your own way, but unless you can standardize your own way, no-one is going to understand it but you. good luck ever collaborating

Young/Nacho\Drawz

Daps
its only called "theory" because there is nothing stopping you from deviating from it.
the next step after theory is "law"...scientifically there is no way around a law.

that said its not an uncertain belief or a set of rules. its just a way to quantify it so it can be communicated. just like the periodic table in science.
its also not someone's interpretation for the sake of making something up. it verbalizes what was already there.

you are free to quantify it in your own way, but unless you can standardize your own way, no-one is going to understand it but you. good luck ever collaborating
It's called a theory because that's what it is, as defined above. Not your new definition that you have applied to suit your argument.

Your bolded is the typical "Either do it this way or it doesn't count." response I would expect from someone who only confirms to what is considered norm and can't think for themselves.

What's funny about the responses to my post is that I'm giving you my music theory but you're so trained that you not only can't see but can't accept it because it's not what you believe music to be.

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
maybe you're right tho. i need to start thinking for myself. on my way home today I'm going to try stepping on the brake pedal to go.

KillSpray

Don't be mad
Daps
Reppin
The top of the City
the·o·ry
ˈTHēərē,ˈTHi(ə)rē/
noun
noun: theory; plural noun: theories
a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, esp. one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained.
=======================
sup·po·si·tion
ˌsəpəˈziSHən/
noun
noun: supposition; plural noun: suppositions
an uncertain belief.

Music theory is the study of the structures of constructed music.[citation needed] Music theorists look for patterns and structures in composers' works across or within genres, styles, or historical periods. Music theory distills and analyzes the fundamental parameters or elements of musicrhythm, harmony (harmonic function),melody, structure, form, and texture. Broadly, music theory may include any statement, belief, or conception of or about music.[1] Music may also be understood from the viewpoint of acoustics, human physiology, and psychology.

The bolded is what I'm trying to explain to you, even though you're committed to rejecting it. It's not limited to one specific belief, it applies to any belief. That's what I meant when I said it isn't a belief, it's ANY belief. Rhythm, harmony, etc... Are present in all music, so music theory is applicable to understanding any type of music that has ever been made or ever will be made, unless technology develops a new way for people to experience music. As long as you must listen to sounds that occur over a period of time, music theory is applicable. Ignorance of it doesn't mean it isn't there and applicable.

Young/Nacho\Drawz

Daps
Music theory is the study of the structures of constructed music.[citation needed] Music theorists look for patterns and structures in composers' works across or within genres, styles, or historical periods. Music theory distills and analyzes the fundamental parameters or elements of musicrhythm, harmony (harmonic function),melody, structure, form, and texture. Broadly, music theory may include any statement, belief, or conception of or about music.[1] Music may also be understood from the viewpoint of acoustics, human physiology, and psychology.

The bolded is what I'm trying to explain to you, even though you're committed to rejecting it. It's not limited to one specific belief, it applies to any belief. That's what I meant when I said it isn't a belief, it's ANY belief. Rhythm, harmony, etc... Are present in all music, so music theory is applicable to understanding any type of music that has ever been made or ever will be made, unless technology develops a new way for people to experience music. As long as you must listen to sounds that occur over a period of time, music theory is applicable. Ignorance of it doesn't mean it isn't there and applicable.
*sigh*

I'm not saying that the theory itself is limited to one specific belief. I'm saying the theory itself is a belief and that is what I reject. I have already shown it's a belief just as you have said. Don't give me that double speak, it is/isn't argument, either it's a belief or it isn't. Clearly it is, however it's yours, not mine.

Rhythm and harmony are not present in all music. Under your theory music that doesn't contain those elements or others isn't consider music. I reject that notion.

Also just because a small portion of what I believe MAY be present in a theory doesn't mean that I automatically accept the theory.

Hope this helps.

KillSpray

Don't be mad
Daps
Reppin
The top of the City
*sigh*

I'm not saying that the theory itself is limited to one specific belief. I'm saying the theory itself is a belief and that is what I reject. I have already shown it's a belief just as you have said. Don't give me that double speak, it is/isn't argument, either it's a belief or it isn't. Clearly it is, however it's yours, not mine.

Rhythm and harmony are not present in all music. Under your theory music that doesn't contain those elements or others isn't consider music. I reject that notion.

Also just because a small portion of what I believe MAY be present in a theory doesn't mean that I automatically accept the theory.

Hope this helps.

If you insist :manny:

• Dap
Reactions: Aje

Aje

All Madden
Daps
Reppin
Don't Believe the Hype
aaannnnyyyy-f*ckin'-way:

for those of you who want to be slaves/close-minded and have some questions about music theory, feel free to hit me up. if I can answer your inquiry, I will.

Aje

All Madden
Daps
Reppin
Don't Believe the Hype
RZA fell the hell off after studying music theory and that is a scientific fact
that could be because he just isn't good at non-sampled beats. an informal scan of memory has me believing that all his joints from '93, '94, '95, '96 all contained samples. I'm not sure if his joint on Biggie's LAD was sampled or not.

edit: Yeah, "Long Kiss Goodnight" contains an Al Green sample, as per Wikipedia.

Aje

All Madden
Daps
Reppin
Don't Believe the Hype
the same thing happened to Erick Sermon: the late 80s/early 90s was where the majority of his dope beat catalog originated. After sampling became expensive - the lawsuits against Biz in the early 90s - E Double's beats began to decline in dopeness, and, in my humble, was not a coincidence.

Ghpstface

Kanye West fan
Daps
Reppin
Ice Cream Castle
the same thing happened to Erick Sermon: the late 80s/early 90s was where the majority of his dope beat catalog originated. After sampling became expensive - the lawsuits against Biz in the early 90s - E Double's beats began to decline in dopeness, and, in my humble, was not a coincidence.
i remember watching a video of dj toomp trying to flip a sample...it was garbage...then he pulled out the keyboard and started playing and it was like :gladbron: :krs: :stylin:

it seems like its always one or the other...why cant most producers switch back and forth? talent is talent, right?