When They Had Tryouts For WuTang, How Did Masta Killa Make It

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
His lyrics are often dope and he has that laid-back calculated assassin flow. There's nothing extra about him, he just spits those darts and handles his business in a calm menacing way. A great balance to more "animated" members like ODB, Ghost, Rza and Meth depending on the tracks. And like others have said No Said Date is a very solid album.

BuddahMAC

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For the detractors, my guess is their main exposure for MK is Forever b/c that's where he was figuring out his new internal rhyme scheme style and, although his lyrics were always sharp, that's when his flow was weakest. Soon after, though, he mastered (ha) that style and the flow came back into focus with it. He's been consistently ill on the mic since.

Sometimes I'm liable to spazz and break fool
Grab my gun, select one, snatch son
Put the barrel by his face, blast one by his eardrum
Piss run, you drop thinking you shot
Screaming like a bytch, kicks to your face
Shots to the body that shake like the bass
I'm Ghostfaced up, military style down
'Nough ammunitions of rounds across the chest

Intriguing to the ear but bitter to the heart
as I begin to take part in the art of dart throwing
Starring the Wu-Tang swordsmen
Raindrops fall, the block remains hot
Steam rises from the streets which forms the clouds
That I move through, renew my stainless sword style
Allah has spoken, the golden code of silence has been broken
Mic terrorist, shrewd, rude, wickedness improves
but as I ascend and expand;
extend- I save men
Fall from grace tryna trace the origin
But there is no beginning or end to the lifeline
Sunz of Man forever shine through the mic line

Activation, mind starts sparkin'
Constant elevation, sky walkin'
David Thompson, my Wu nikkaz stompin'
Down the boulevard, shakin' yo ass
You better watch yo self,
I'm type slick With a nice size --- lemme see you work it
She wanna suck it in public
Ol' Dirty b*stard can use it on the visitings,
you wit it?
Then holla like wheels on appeal, don't squeal
Just keep it on the 'lils, for the Masta Kill
Just givin' you somethin' that y'all can feel
I see you in the hood, then ya fam from Tilden
Slid through the back of the buildin', heat concealed in
Stair to your place, Rae bomb the elevator,
an Incarcerated Scarface, here, taste
The lace from the dominant race to the bass in ya face like paste, baby doll

Yes, yes yall

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
Most Wu fans know the story by now of RZA leaving a final spot to get on the song 'Mystery of Chessboxin'. It was Masta Killa and Killah Priest in the studio that night, it just so happens that Priest fell asleep and Masta took advantage and sculpted his iconic verse and RZA kept it. Killah Priest has told this story a few times over the years admitting it.
That's a crazy story though. Always makes me wonder what would have happen is Killah was up and could write a verse as well. Would he have that slot instead?

AdidasLife55

Rookie
Daps
That's a crazy story though. Always makes me wonder what would have happen is Killah was up and could write a verse as well. Would he have that slot instead?
Yeah, you right. But like others have stated in this thread, Masta was brought in by GZA and noone was gonna thumbs down any move from the head of the clan. Mef even said on Drink Champs that he got introduced to Masta at the Protect Ya Neck video shoot and they all just vibed that day and he knew Masta was the perfect fit as the 9th member. Plus, IMO...Priest fit more into the Sunz of Man group with their subject matter on most songs.

Last edited:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I fukked with all of the WU except Method Man he didn't get really dope until like 2007....late bloomer ass nikka....GOAT Voice tho
:dwillhuh:

2007?

That's the most random year I've heard ever for Meth, especially since he was pretty much super quiet from the mid 2000's until the mid 2010's. I feel like he had one solo album and then Blackout 2 with Redman in that time frame, and not much else besides some guest verses here and there.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
No Said Date is criminally underrated and one of the best Wu albums of the 2000s
No Said Date is dope as fukk.

Also, there's a really dope album from HaLo (former Jamla artist) called Mansa Musa that guest features MK, and the production is Soul Council (9th Wonder, Nottz, Khrysis, Eric G, etc.) and MK is all over that album with HaLo.

prod. 9th Wonder

prod. Khrysis

prod. AMP

prod. Khrysis

prod. Kash

AdidasLife55

Rookie
Daps
I fukk with Masta Killa but Priest is better in every way. Imagine Killah Priest in MK's spot and Killah Sin in U-God's spot :wow: The debates about who is the best member would be fukking heated.
Always imagined a Killah Priest, Masta Killa, Ghostface Killah, Killa Sin collab song or album somewhere on RZA's computer.