When They Had Tryouts For WuTang, How Did Masta Killa Make It

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
U-God shines on the group cuts, and he had strong verses on Ironman, possibly even better than Raekwon, Cappuccino and GFK on the songs he was featured on.
I agree. I think U-God really shined on the Forever album.

Honestly, as the years have gone on, I appreciate everyone in the Wu. Every single member has had standout moments on group tracks, and I think there's a pretty good balance even as far as some of the better members dropping occasional wack verses and projects, and then lower tier members dropping surprisingly dope verses and projects.

I used to think that U-God, Masta Killa, and Cappadonna were all kind of wack, but I've grown to appreciate all 3 of their contributions to the group.

Also, I think it's important to note that not everyone is meant to be a star, and not everyone can be consistently dope. it's really hard for one artist to be dope year after year...so honestly it's pretty damn crazy that any group with 10 members can have almost all of them be praised as much as they are. If only 1/3rd of the Wu had been dope, that would've been impressive on its own.

The fact that every Wu member has had at least one great album or one classic verse says a lot. For example, Cap might not have a classic album, but he's got Winter Warz, Ice Water, and Iron Maiden. Most artists never get a verse like those.

:manny:

Last edited:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
He has a very prose delivery, like genius but GZA has a dope speaking voice, with MK it is what it is, but lyrically he's one of the best in the group.
Once I started appreciating slow flow rappers more and more...that's when MK started growing on me. As a kid I used to hate that he had the middle verse for example on Glaciers of Ice, because I couldn't skip it. But now I think it's perfect.

It's kind of hard to describe, but it's almost like he was rhyming above the beat instead of ahead of it, right on top of the drums, or behind the beat. I actually think it's a really dope style, and honestly I prefer it over RZA's herky-jerky flow that would alternate between speeding up and slowing down. I thought that RZA had the most abrasive flow in the group, despite being a sharp lyricist. I even remember an interview where GZA was clowning RZA's flow.

Morose Polymath

GODHOOD
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds
@Alvin Also, U-God absolutely floated on joints like these. Don't give a fukk what anyone says. He wasn't as dope as Deck at kicking off songs with the first verse (no one was), but he really shined in that role.

Facts. He floated on Bells Of War :wow:
And anytime ppl try to discredit Uey, I throw this track on and silence them real quick :ohlawd:

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I fukked with all of the WU except Method Man he didn't get really dope until like 2007....late bloomer ass nikka....GOAT Voice tho

tenor.gif

Billy Ocean

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I can see how Masta Killa turns people off, but he's dope and lyrically sharp, and puts out great music. And No Said Date competes with your fav Wu album.

Plus to add info, he was brought in the fold by GZA, and no one was gonna challenge that. But KP, Timbo, Razah, Prodigal, Dreddy, 12 & 60 etc were all around for that first album. IMO, I think it came down to KP & Masta Killa because those 2 are stylistically different from the rest. The rest of Sunz/Royal Fam/BK Zoo are all traditional rappers, or you can pinpoint the influence of their styles.

Yeah, you right. But like others have stated in this thread, Masta was brought in by GZA and noone was gonna thumbs down any move from the head of the clan. Mef even said on Drink Champs that he got introduced to Masta at the Protect Ya Neck video shoot and they all just vibed that day and he knew Masta was the perfect fit as the 9th member. Plus, IMO...Priest fit more into the Sunz of Man group with their subject matter on most songs.

GZA brought both Masta Killa and Killah Priest into the fold so that wouldn't have an influence on who would be the 9th member. Priest legit lost out on that spot because he was asleep.

I think Priest is the better MC but MK fits just right in the crew. Can't see anybody else providing that vibe he brings to a Clan album or track.

Billy Ocean

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
His best project by far is Cynthia's Son. Unfortunately, he prob can't/doesn't want to get samples cleared like that to put together an album along those lines.

Cynthia's Son is BY FAR Deck's best project. If it was a legit album, and he threw a couple Wu verses on it, it would be damn near a classic album.

Last edited:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
GZA brought both Masta Killa and Killah Priest into the fold so that wouldn't have an influence on who would be the 9th member. Priest legit lost out on that spot because he was asleep.

I think Priest is the better MC but MK fits just right in the crew. Can't see anybody else providing that vibe he brings to a Clan album or track.
I never head the Priest story before. Insane that he was that close to being in the group. I know this is gossipy and petty, but I wonder if he ever feels salty or upset at himself for that.

Like you, I like Priest more than MK, but I can't imagine Priest meshing with the group as well as MK.

Billy Ocean

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I never head the Priest story before. Insane that he was that close to being in the group. I know this is gossipy and petty, but I wonder if he ever feels salty or upset at himself for that.

Like you, I like Priest more than MK, but I can't imagine Priest meshing with the group as well as MK.

He does sound a bit salty whenever he tells the story but he laughs about it. I guess he's content with the solo career he's put together and he knows he's a VERY WELL respected MC that still played a nice role in the Wu legacy.