Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
The dj part came from Jamaica

Nope, not even that.

AAs had DJ culture FIRST and Jamaicans brought it back to Jamaica. Jamaican DJs also didn't scratch, blend, etc.
We did sound systems first.
We were jive talking then they made it into toasting.
The first person to rhyme SYNCOPATED to a beat was a man from North Carolina.
Reggae is nothing more than Islander's take on AA RnB.

@IllmaticDelta @truth2you

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Nope, not even that.

AAs had DJ culture FIRST and Jamaicans brought it back to Jamaica. Jamaican DJs also didn't scratch, blend, etc.

:ohhh: Who was the man? That's interesting that he is from NC as most AA new Yorkers have roots there.

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nope, not even that.

Hip hop was grew from islanders party culture which a dj would play songs while people danced and had a good time. That is what I mean by the dj part.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
:ohhh: Who was the man? That's interesting that he is from NC as most AA new Yorkers have roots there.

The first rapper to rap TO a beat and not just do spoken word or call/response: Coke La Rock - Wikipedia

How Jamaicans learned to toast::

In the late 1950s deejay toasting was developed by Count Machuki.[2] He conceived the idea from listening to disc jockeys on American radio stations. He would do African American jive over the music while selecting and playing R&B music.

How Jamaicans adopted sound systems:

The Kingston-born Dodd used to play records to the customers in his parents' shop. During a spell in the American South he became familiar with the rhythm and blues music popular there at the time. In 1954, back in Jamaica, he set up the Downbeat Sound System, being the owner of an amplifier, a turntable, and some US records, which he would import from New Orleans and Miami.

With the success of his sound system, and in a competitive environment, Dodd would make trips through the US looking for new tunes to attract the Jamaican public. While he did, his mother Doris Darlington would run the sound system and play the tunes. Dodd opened five different sound systems, each playing every night. To run his sound systems, Dodd appointed people such as Lee "Scratch" Perry, who was Dodd's right-hand man during his early career, U-Roy and Prince Buster.

Luken

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto/ Jersey / ATL / LA / Panoramic Roofs
Nope, not even that.

Breh, you know we were building amps from scratch since the 40s right? :comeon:

KING_TUBBY_1976_copy.jpg

MoroccanBoy

Madness
Daps
Ive never been around african americans. Jamaicans told me they invented hip hop and i believed them because they were very straoght shooters.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Hip hop was grew from islanders party culture which a dj would play songs while people danced and had a good time. That is what I mean by the dj part.
Nah really it came from the discoes. Kids were too young to get into the real ones so they created their own so to speak