BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
I know my music history son and hip hop started in NYC and dj kool herc was the founding member and he was influenced by his Caribbean culture growing up which used djs to host parties. Y'all Americans seem to forget NYC has a lot of people from the islands who shaped hip hop.
:ufdup:
Ok so what was your point in your previous posts?:dahell:

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
Spoken word comes from Africa. DJing is an entirely Western concept.

Spoken word beget Rapping but is not Rapping. Just like the banjo comes from the African Sahel and beget the Blues but Malian music isn't the Blues which is a creolized artform.

Idk why folks have issues admitting how influence and cultural exchange happens in the diaspora.
because, for one, people really just don't know. and two, what little they do know, they walk around and pridefully show to all instead of actually discussing and exchanging information.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I know my music history son and hip hop started in NYC and dj kool herc was the founding member and he was influenced by his Caribbean culture growing up which used djs to host parties. Y'all Americans seem to forget NYC has a lot of people from the islands who shaped hip hop.
:ufdup:

apparently you don't:mjgrin:

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
it started in the usa from a strand of southern afram culture

and then mixed with afram disco culture in various areas of NYC

DVAqkH7.jpg

na, the dj'ing part is from afram disco culture

dj culture is jamaica is a direct result of them hearing afram radio dj's and the jukebox/dj's they saw in america when they came over to the usa

again,this was all inspired by their love for afram radio dj's

Georgie_Woods_1__medium.png

Jocko_studio.jpg

34QA801.png

I stand corrected

bx.lion

Banned
Daps

bx.lion

Banned
Daps
Low Quality Posting
Pretty sure a Jamaican from the Bronx started it. Shout out to my yardies:salute:

QuintessentialMan

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I wouldn't even say that considering AAs been cutoff from our African roots more than any other group in the diaspora. Hip hop is a direct result of our experience in this country

Its also correct to just say New York. I get it.... but man ive been to villages in the Yoruba land where they have been mumbling stuff over repetitive drum beats and gangan/dundun for hundreds of years as my father tells me. It sounded like hiphop. It has pauses and ups and downs in the lyrical flow. Kind of more spoken wordy but its there. Gotta give it SOME credit. Then there's the kool herc thing. All should get some shine IMO. Just saying New york is like saying America invented democracy.....kind of.....maybe a bad example but you get me.

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its also correct to just say New York. I get it.... but man ive been to villages in the Yoruba land where they have been mumbling stuff over repetitive drum beats and gangan/dundun for hundreds of years as my father tells me. It sounded like hiphop. It has pauses and ups and downs in the lyrical flow. Kind of more spoken wordy but its there. Gotta give it SOME credit. Then there's the kool herc thing. All should get some shine IMO. Just saying New york is like saying America invented democracy.....kind of.....maybe a bad example but you get me.
Yeah but once you fall down that rabbit hole how far do you go.