In terms of leadership, MLK
In terms of ideas, Garvey & Malcom X
In terms of commentary on the black condition, James Baldwin

Sammy Steez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MKE
I dont agree but, one thing I always laugh at is the idea that black men are so homophobic but I never heard nobody trip off of Baldwin. I love Baldwin btw.

Yeah, I named multiple people I think greatly contributed to modern African-American ideology. I could never get behind the "one" great leader approach. I believe that as Af-Am's, we're incredibly diverse, so we should combine bits and pieces from our greatest intellectuals and weave them into cohesive guidelines. Trying to look to a singular leader will always be problematic because we are not a monolith.

Adidacs

All Star
Daps
none of them

our greatest leader was sometime back in africa

or one of the nephilim

not mlk who got killed for going off script

BodeineBrazy

hehehehehehehehehe
Daps
Reppin
Philly, Norfside
Yeah, I named multiple people I think greatly contributed to modern African-American ideology. I could never get behind the "one" great leader approach. I believe that as Af-Am's, we're incredibly diverse, so we should combine bits and pieces from our greatest intellectuals and weave them into cohesive guidelines. Trying to look to a singular leader will always be problematic because we are not a monolith.

I dont think we need to be a monolith, but we should have one common goal in mind. Because regardless of anyones views or perspective we are all being denied the same basic rights.

But im very glass half empy in my thinking when it comes to race relations in this country. Blacks are too divided to ever stand together and whites are too conveniently ignorant and dense in their response for any radical changes to ever take place.

The best that we can do is ride that rich vs. poor wave and hope to get some crumbs from that.

As far as us as a people ever truly gaining respect, nah.

Sammy Steez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MKE
I dont think we need to be a monolith, but we should have one common goal in mind. Because regardless of anyones views or perspective we are all being denied the same basic rights.

But im very glass half empy in my thinking when it comes to race relations in this country. Blacks are too divided to ever stand together and whites are too conveniently ignorant and dense in their response for any radical changes to ever take place.

The best that we can do is ride that rich vs. poor wave and hope to get some crumbs from that.

As far as us as a people ever truly gaining respect, nah.

I think Garvey and Malcolm emphasize that respect starts internally.
MLK focuses on what need to do in terms of diplomacy and reaching across borders.

Truefan31

Superstar
Daps
Because even as a c00n he was more fit to lead America than the average white man. Cacs knew this, and as usual, their fear got the better of them so they blew his brains out.

MLK Jr locked us in with our enemy whilst we had a real opputunity to separate, get reparations and shape our own destiny under all black leadership.

Seriously got a problem with mlk being called a c00n. He's endured more than I'd say 99.9999% of everyone here. Just a real lack of respect for what he went through. Whether you feel others did more doesn't mean you tear down the struggle of others.

jackson35

Banned
Daps
1globally= toussaint l overture great black liberater for haiti 2 enslaved black leader= Harriet Tubman nat turner. these two were willing to fight for freedom and die for it. no organization, no rules just get up and fight. 3 u can't leave out Adam Clayton Powell, father divine. 4 black student unions, they were the one that fought for african history in black and white colleges. this movement gave a platform for your fav black scholars. musically= Curtis may field..

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
I'm back. And reading this post I see MORE of the same. Nothing in this post once again shows us HOW Garvey directly influenced African-Americans or how his plans helped African-Americans compared to MLK. Once again all I see is you trying to argue how amazing Garvey was(which is nice), but worse using flawed ABC logic like "see! see! Rosa and X also looked up to Garvey and so he is responsible for ALL their ideas!" Which is a big reach and is all the Garvey supporters been doing this whole thread.

I've have not seen why Garvey deserves to be at the seat of the greatest AA leaders. Anyways now that i am at a computer and not on my phone lets demolish some errors.

MLK was the same one who said he was leading his people into a burning house.
I find it funny that people continue to misinterpret this part of what King meant. What he meant was that REPARATIONS WAS NEEDED, not that integration was the problem. All King did was just update his ideas.

Also REPARATION that King was not only aiming for, but something a capitalist like Garvey has never aimed for.

So me Garvey fighting for African-American reparation. I'll wait.

Garvey was succeeding at the one thing that people bytch and complain about now INFRASTRUCTURE and SELF SUFFICIENCY.
Yeah that's nice and all, but with little capital its moot. MANY leaders especially the Nation of Islam have built INFRASTRUCTURE and practiced SELF SUFFICIENCY but with lack of capital with was all moot for LIBERATION. Something MLK was aiming for. Basically the root of the problem. Infrastructure and self-sufficiency comes AFTER we gained capital and liberation.

You want infrastructure? Okay fine. I'll take economic liberation.

Garvey had 4 million followers, use google. Source is Wiki, Biography.com or anywhere on the internet. It's a known fact.

NY, is in America Right... so selling out MSG full of AA's, is void because he was born in Jamaica. Hmmmm yeah ok.

No internet or TV back then, remember that.

"The New Negro Has No FEAR!"
Okay? Your point? Its saying that the UNIA had 4 million members total not that they were all in NYC. The UNIA had many members not just in America but internationally especially in the Caribbean. How does this even prove that he was more influential on AAs than freaking MLK??? MLK was ALSO able to amass millions with his movement in America.

Once again more saying how "amazing" Garvey was instead of what plans he had that succeeded in helping AAs.

Even as the nation continues to deal with the harsh realities of racism today, the quality of life for black Americans has improved in many ways since Selma’s “Bloody Sunday” 50 years ago. But we still have a long way to go. As the ceremonies begin this weekend to celebrate the landmark civil rights march, it is important to reflect on the progress — or a lack of it — that’s occurred when it comes to true racial justice and equality for all African-Americans.
50 Years After Selma: How Much Has Life Changed For Blacks In America?

In summary, the triumphs won during the civil-rights struggle wrought improvements across the urban landscape, enhancing the quality of life in tremendous ways. Yet, much work remains to be done before authentic equality and racial harmony become the reality in America.
African-American Civil Rights Movement (1955-1968) - New World Encyclopedia

The Civil Rights Act signed into law in April 1968–popularly known as the Fair Housing Act–prohibited discrimination concerning the sale, rental and financing of housing based on race, religion, national origin and sex. Intended as a follow-up to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the bill was the subject of a contentious debate in the Senate, but was passed quickly by the House of Representatives in the days after the assassination of civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. The act stands as the final great legislative achievement of the civil rights era.
Fair Housing Act of 1968 - Black History - HISTORY.com
‘‘In Selma,’’ King wrote, ‘‘we see a classic pattern of disenfranchisement typical of the Southern Black Belt areas where Negroes are in the majority’ (King, ‘‘Selma— The Shame and the Promise’’). In addition to facing arbitrary literacy tests and poll taxes, African Americans in Selma and other southern towns were intimidated, harassed, and assaulted when they sought to register to vote. Civil rights activists met with fierce resistance to their campaign, which attracted national attention on 7 March 1965, when civil rights workers were brutally attacked by white law enforcement officers on a march from Selma to Montgomery.

Johnson introduced the Voting Rights Act that same month, ‘‘with the outrage of Selma still fresh’’ (Johnson, ‘‘Remarks in the Capitol Rotunda’’). In just over four months, Congress passed the bill. The Voting Rights Act of 1965 abolished literacy tests and poll taxes designed to disenfranchise African American voters, and gave the federal government the authority to take over voter registration in counties with a pattern of persistent discrimination. ‘‘This law covers many pages,’’ Johnson said before signing the bill, ‘‘but the heart of the act is plain. Wherever, by clear and objective standards, States and counties are using regulations, or laws, or tests to deny the right to vote, then they will be struck down’’ (Johnson, ‘‘Remarks in the Capitol Rotunda’’).
Voting Rights Act (1965)

And THIS IS JUST the tip of the iceberg. You all may(foolishly) "c00n" shyt, but it improved the quality of LIFE for blacks. Not only that it gave us steps for economic liberation especially local voting.

Show me Garvey doing ANY of this..

The UNIA was primarily a back to Africa Movement. But they also set up independent black manufacturing factories and trade routes. He bargained us our own land in Africa. No one can compare. He was trying to empower our people. How can getting blacks on a bus compare to that?
Empower us? Nice. Again with WHAT capital!? Garvey was a capitalist and while his plans were good most of them were unrealistic for a minority group like African-Americans. What your saying is in the same lane as those in the "Group economics" circle. While it is a good bandage(after the wood has healed), it does not address the big wound/how to heal it.

I agree with 100% with Garvey that we NEED intra-diasporan trade and with Africa. But the thing is we are not there yet. Especially with the little capital that we have to fund these things. Garvey being a capitalist and using it to drive his plans were flawed however. We need Kings ideas FIRST before we get to Garvey's.

PS: I was MORE on board Garvey before I did more research(unlike many here) King's true goals and thus updating my opinions.

Lets talk about that bus thing, Rosa Parks right? A major reason she decided to not get off the bus was Garvey lol... Rosa's grandparents were in the UNIA, she was a follower of Garvey, her parents fought the Klan inspired by MARCUS MOSIAH GARVEY.
Okay? And? MLK was the one who led the bus boycott.

We shoulda stuck with what Garvey was trying to do, now it's too late.
What the heck do you mean we should have stuck? Again, his plans were unrealistic for a disenfranchised minority group like African-Americans. His plans for more ideal for blacks with their OWN nation states. Most of Garvey's plans were never going to work on the level that he wanted because again they were unrealistic for a group such as AAs. We're not even at that stage yet.

However its still not to late for a new Poor People's Campaign.

Because he didnt want to sit on the front of any bus, he wanted to have his own fukking bus.
Silly hotep shyt. How about you and others stop making me slap my palms against my forehead and READ some of MLK's true intentions.

And speaking of "owning ones own bus..."

Montgomery bus boycott :

Segregationists used economic violence. “The white people tried to break the boycott by not giving the church cars any insurance. All the churches operated the station wagons, and had their names on the sides. Without insurance, the cars could not operate legally. Every time they got insurance from a new company, the policy would suddenly be canceled.” (The eventual solution to that issue was “Dr. King got in touch with a black insurance agent in Atlanta named T. M. Alexander, and T. M. Alexander got Lloyd’s of London…to write a policy for the church-operated cars.

MLK aint never have that type of juice. I respect MLK tho. But there is a reason he has a statue in Washington. :mjpls:
Once again more hotep 101 logic. Maybe its because King had a more freaking reach and influence in American than Garvey(and Malcolm X)!???? :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Can it be that? And if King never had the juice then neither did Garvey especially as most of his plans did not succeed for AAs.

Meanwhile MLK as @Poitier once said "got it" and found the blue print for African-American liberation. MLK's blue print is STILL there unlike with Garvey's.

LMAO @ Garvey is disqualified because he isnt AA? none of us are AA, we're all black... that was the entire point of what Garvey was trying to say... hence the red, black and green flag.
Thread is titled, "Who is greatest African American leader ever", which Garvey is not African American but born in Jamaica. Its that simple.

Ya'll still fixated on this idea that somehow this country will allow you in. And MLK represents that hope to ya'll, but when we keep it real the black man has two choices at this point, leave and start over or just accept that you are a permanent underclass in society. Garvey saw that 100 years ago and fought for us to be able to be TRULY FREE. Not fake FREE...

Garvey is the GOAT.

This post shows us who never read MLK's true intention but instead those who just rambles hotep projections on MLK. The bolded screams this loudly. How about you stop spreading nonsense and actually pick up a book(and not those PBS specials) on MLK.

MLK wanted this country to allow us in? Here is his definition of integration vs. the hotep(and other civil rights leaders) definition.

I favor integration on buses and in all areas of public accommodation and travel. ‘I am for equality. However, I think integration in our public schools is different. In that setting, you are dealing with one of the most important assets of an individual: the mind. White people view black people as inferior. A large percentage of them have a very low opinion of our race. People with such a low view of the black race cannot be given free rein and put in charge of the intellectual care and development of our boys and girls.’
Still Separate, Still Unequal

MLK only cared for improving the QUALITY OF LIFE for blacks. Not some, "iZ wants 2 beez murican 2!" That was what his definition of integration was about. He soon realized that he had to update his plans and aim for full scale reparation. Show me Garvey trying to organize anything CLOSE to this...

Poor People's Campaign - Wikipedia

Yeah... Garvey wanted "truly free." Nice, but he never had the blue prints for it. Especially not for AAs...

Like I said everything points to MLK being the GOAT AA leader and there is no debate. He is more well known not because some dumbass hotep crap logic that, "buh! buh! buh! cacs luv him mur!" but because he had more influence and organized African-Americans on a larger scale than X or Garvey.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Seriously got a problem with mlk being called a c00n. He's endured more than I'd say 99.9999% of everyone here. Just a real lack of respect for what he went through. Whether you feel others did more doesn't mean you tear down the struggle of others.

MLK while in his 30s had the health of a 90 year old from what I read. He literally gave his all for blacks. Literally. This is why dumb hoteps piss me off. Really.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I see you cant counter anything posted. Yeah use WHITE SUPREMACIST originated rumors of King chasing white women and being an adulter. Yeah nice one. Really helps your argument.

Also who gives a shyt if King was passive(Who the hell does that make him a c00n when he was FIGHTING for blacks!). His plans WORKED and he had more influence on AAs. You nor anyone in this thread have not countered how Kings plans were better SPECIFICALLY for AAs.

King being a c00n is the dumbest shyt when he was KILLING HIMSELF fighting for blacks. Which is why I get annoyed whem hoteps say such ridiculous things.

Anyways until you come up with credible arguments don't bother... Actually study King more and not read whay hoteps say.

Why do I need to study Dr. King when I can leave my fukking house and see the results of his efforts?
You get mad that I call him a c00n? That's because youre probably a caucasion and holding King as the standard is what has held this country together for the past 50 years.

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Garvey by a landslide

Hes the closest to ever get to our goal.

Some of you need to read up on what the UNIA done for AAs

jackson35

Banned
Daps
I'm back. And reading this post I see MORE of the same. Nothing in this post once again shows us HOW Garvey directly influenced African-Americans or how his plans helped African-Americans compared to MLK. Once again all I see is you trying to argue how amazing Garvey was(which is nice), but worse using flawed ABC logic like "see! see! Rosa and X also looked up to Garvey and so he is responsible for ALL their ideas!" Which is a big reach and is all the Garvey supporters been doing this whole thread.

I've have not seen why Garvey deserves to be at the seat of the greatest AA leaders. Anyways now that i am at a computer and not on my phone lets demolish some errors.

I find it funny that people continue to misinterpret this part of what King meant. What he meant was that REPARATIONS WAS NEEDED, not that integration was the problem. All King did was just update his ideas.

Also REPARATION that King was not only aiming for, but something a capitalist like Garvey has never aimed for.

So me Garvey fighting for African-American reparation. I'll wait.

Yeah that's nice and all, but with little capital its moot. MANY leaders especially the Nation of Islam have built INFRASTRUCTURE and practiced SELF SUFFICIENCY but with lack of capital with was all moot for LIBERATION. Something MLK was aiming for. Basically the root of the problem. Infrastructure and self-sufficiency comes AFTER we gained capital and liberation.

You want infrastructure? Okay fine. I'll take economic liberation.

Okay? Your point? Its saying that the UNIA had 4 million members total not that they were all in NYC. The UNIA had many members not just in America but internationally especially in the Caribbean. How does this even prove that he was more influential on AAs than freaking MLK??? MLK was ALSO able to amass millions with his movement in America.

Once again more saying how "amazing" Garvey was instead of what plans he had that succeeded in helping AAs.

50 Years After Selma: How Much Has Life Changed For Blacks In America?

African-American Civil Rights Movement (1955-1968) - New World Encyclopedia

Fair Housing Act of 1968 - Black History - HISTORY.com

Voting Rights Act (1965)

And THIS IS JUST the tip of the iceberg. You all may(foolishly) "c00n" shyt, but it improved the quality of LIFE for blacks. Not only that it gave us steps for economic liberation especially local voting.

Show me Garvey doing ANY of this..

Empower us? Nice. Again with WHAT capital!? Garvey was a capitalist and while his plans were good most of them were unrealistic for a minority group like African-Americans. What your saying is in the same lane as those in the "Group economics" circle. While it is a good bandage(after the wood has healed), it does not address the big wound/how to heal it.

I agree with 100% with Garvey that we NEED intra-diasporan trade and with Africa. But the thing is we are not there yet. Especially with the little capital that we have to fund these things. Garvey being a capitalist and using it to drive his plans were flawed however. We need Kings ideas FIRST before we get to Garvey's.

PS: I was MORE on board Garvey before I did more research(unlike many here) King's true goals and thus updating my opinions.

Okay? And? MLK was the one who led the bus boycott.

What the heck do you mean we should have stuck? Again, his plans were unrealistic for a disenfranchised minority group like African-Americans. His plans for more ideal for blacks with their OWN nation states. Most of Garvey's plans were never going to work on the level that he wanted because again they were unrealistic for a group such as AAs. We're not even at that stage yet.

However its still not to late for a new Poor People's Campaign.

Silly hotep shyt. How about you and others stop making me slap my palms against my forehead and READ some of MLK's true intentions.

And speaking of "owning ones own bus..."

Montgomery bus boycott :

Segregationists used economic violence. “The white people tried to break the boycott by not giving the church cars any insurance. All the churches operated the station wagons, and had their names on the sides. Without insurance, the cars could not operate legally. Every time they got insurance from a new company, the policy would suddenly be canceled.” (The eventual solution to that issue was “Dr. King got in touch with a black insurance agent in Atlanta named T. M. Alexander, and T. M. Alexander got Lloyd’s of London…to write a policy for the church-operated cars.

Once again more hotep 101 logic. Maybe its because King had a more freaking reach and influence in American than Garvey(and Malcolm X)!???? :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Can it be that? And if King never had the juice then neither did Garvey especially as most of his plans did not succeed for AAs.

Meanwhile MLK as @Poitier once said "got it" and found the blue print for African-American liberation. MLK's blue print is STILL there unlike with Garvey's.

Thread is titled, "Who is greatest African American leader ever", which Garvey is not African American but born in Jamaica. Its that simple.

This post shows us who never read MLK's true intention but instead those who just rambles hotep projections on MLK. The bolded screams this loudly. How about you stop spreading nonsense and actually pick up a book(and not those PBS specials) on MLK.

MLK wanted this country to allow us in? Here is his definition of integration vs. the hotep(and other civil rights leaders) definition.

Still Separate, Still Unequal

MLK only cared for improving the QUALITY OF LIFE for blacks. Not some, "iZ wants 2 beez murican 2!" That was what his definition of integration was about. He soon realized that he had to update his plans and aim for full scale reparation. Show me Garvey trying to organize anything CLOSE to this...

Poor People's Campaign - Wikipedia

Yeah... Garvey wanted "truly free." Nice, but he never had the blue prints for it. Especially not for AAs...

Like I said everything points to MLK being the GOAT AA leader and there is no debate. He is more well known not because some dumbass hotep crap logic that, "buh! buh! buh! cacs luv him mur!" but because he had more influence and organized African-Americans on a larger scale than X or Garvey.

garvey inspired black men to build black school for black people. garvey inspired black people to do business and invest in black people. garvey inspired black women to get into the nursing trade. garvey gave us the black liberation flag.