Who rapped better overall, Dot or Drake?

Nuuko

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Kendrick checks way too many boxes making him versatile af :manny: .

Drake gives out same ole monotone voice which is what his fans are use too. He had some great bars as well, but I will say though the only line that stuck with me from the Drake diss is "Kendrick just opened his mouth, someone go hand him a Grammy right now" :dead:
100%

Grand_Verbalizer

All Star
Daps
j0Rbz7b.png

ass thread

Fanservice

Bih call me senpai
Daps
Drake’s songs were better songs. Kendrick’s bars were more “vicious” but I didn’t wanna hear the actual songs more than once. One and done type shyt with boring beats and cartoony voices.

Meanwhile, the records Drake dropped actually bump in the whip whether he wrote them or not :yeshrug:

snikt6384

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is a fun topic. I've gotta get it out the way first. Ghostwriters will ALWAYS be a fukking asterisk. And the fact that its not for many...kinda speaks to a key reason so many want him out the paint. But I digress. Putting that kinda off to the side?

I'm going Kendrick. I'll explain why shortly.

But for now, i'm gonna give Drake some flowers. I thought the second verse on Family Matters was fire. It was peak Drake. However, it was the best verse in a song where he should have been giving Kendrick "all of the curses" like Push asked for.

I chuckled at some of the short jokes for sure as far as shyt directed AT Kendrick. That "back to the curb" bar, the "beat her up cuz she's bigger than you". Was cute to me. I wasn't really feeling a lot of the Whitney based shyt. Just fell short for me.

"Where is your uncle at? I wanna talk to the man of the house". fukking fire lol. Like Family Matters was impressive. And if he was able to really dig in on Kendrick like he dug in on Rocky? Man.

The first verse on Heart Part 6 actually pisses me off on repeat listens. His flow and the way he rides the beat and the bars are so fukking nice...
Now I don't believe he's a war general but that whole scheme is just top notch. And then the about the moment where he goes "speaking to anything with a child"...it goes to shyt. I do love the "D Major" line a lot, and the last shot about it being safer for Whitney to hit him back. But he really fukks up his own song and its then that I was really like aiight pack it up.

I was never feeling Push Ups or Taylor Made like that. Sorry. I think altogether though, Drake performed well and had some nice shots. I do not find him versatile enough though and sometimes I found his shyt monotonous and really similar to the sound I grew tired of with him years ago. And then we get to Kendrick.

Kendrick was just so fukking versatile in delivery, tone, inflection, setting shyt up, entendres, references to earlier disses, and he was fukking funny, man. I chuckled at Drake's comedy bars. I LAUGHED at Kendrick's. That Sexxy Red, pop ass with em shyt? Comedy. WHAT IS IT THE BRAIDS?!? Comedy.
I was one of the few who wasn't actually impressed with the YMW Melly line like that. What impressed me more? "In 8 bars i'll clarify that phrase".

And then he proceeds to lead us INTO that 8th bar being the Melly line. The core audience, stomach, abs shyt.
Undressing Drake's adverse effects on the culture, Not Like Us being this joke song but that whole last verse as a mini history lesson in Atlanta leading to the colonizer bar? I think the daughter verse taints Meet the Grahams now (in the same way unsubstantiated claims taint some of the Drake moments), but that's also a showcase of versatility to me. I could go on. But this is an essay already.

TL:DR: Kendrick was painting in a bunch of different ways with different paints and materials on different canvases. Drake was really good at times with just painting his one way. Better than I thought he would be. But Kendrick is a far more creative and versatile rapper. I give Drake his credit though, he held his own...but that's when it comes back to that asterisk for me.

John Mexico

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Henderson, NV
basically everything this guy says ^^^^ Kendrick sorta lost his fastball but what he doesn't with vocal inflections has VASTLY improved. In Buried Alive he sounded like Lil fukking B in the intro, and his tonality is far better than even on a classic like Good Kid. He did Drake, Cole, Lupe (the whole Pusha T bit sounding like SLR shyt where he basically ended Royce career), and even Eminem:

(till love when you see success, everything with me is blessed
Keep makin' me dance, wavin' my hand, and it won't be no threat
I'm knowin' they call you The Boy, but where is a man? 'Cause I ain't seen him yet
Matter fact, I ain't even bleed him yet, can I bleed him? (Bet))

Kendrick is a far superior rapper in nearly every way. He could very well still be behind Cole, Lupe, Wayne, Nas and Jay in certain aspects of just rapping, but what he does super fukking well is read like an AP English assignment with the repetition, alliteration, allegorical shyts, and other literary devices, which is why I always liked him. He's almost like a theater nerd in that aspect of his performance.

Take away the smoke and mirrors and Drake kinda falls flat. Look at First Person Shooter for an example of that. What I AM surprised about is how much heart Aubrey had, at least up until Heart Pt 6. But yeah, he's no master performer and never was. Worst of all, Drake is just... not very fun to listen to. At least Eminem knew how to make his shyt fun, even if he eventually turned into as cringefest. 2Chainz is fun. Schoolboy is fun. JID is fun.

Drake sounds like a slog, and now I'm asking myself: did he ALWAYS sound like a slog? Since he has becoming just an ominous guy rapping over cold beats, I don't see what ANYONE gets out of this. And Kendrick is right: I LIKE songs like Nice For What unironically.

Last edited:

desp

SO MUCH FUN
Daps
He's got a lot of slick lines in there (MJ/Jermaine shyt, ASAP Rocky BM line, Miranda Rights line) but he ain't setting them up to hit hard. Just good flows. 2nd verse in Family Matters is pure fire especially. But Euphoria has everything.
Good point :ehh: Drake had some great bars but Kendrick did better building to his haymakers so they hit harder. The whole third verse of Not Like Us building up to "you not a colleague, you a fukkin colonizer" is a good example of this. Also the little 4 bar OVO breakdown leading to "Certified lover boys? Certified pedophiles"