Who's job is it to prepare athletes for life after sports?

Who is responsible for preparing athletes after sports?

• The League

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Agents

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • The Player

Votes: 27 71.1%
  • All of the above

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters

lightskin jermaine

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Antonio
Watching this Big Baby clip and he is pretty much saying that the NBA/NBAPA is doing a horrible job at making sure former players are straight once their playing days are over. He mentions Delonte West as a former player who is struggling and needs help. He also says nobody from the NBA/NBAPA called him to check on him when he was going through hard times.

Athletes have so many more options than we do but they refuse to take accountability, refuse to use the resources available to them and when they blow through their money or didn't save, they want to blame everyone else but themselves.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Its tough. THese are grown men, but the thing they've been working at since they were like 10 is over and they still have 30-40 years of life left.

Comparing it to a regular 9-5 job is stupid, but at a certain point personal responsibility has to come into account.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Their parents should have prepared them. And if their parents aren't equipped yeah sure their agent. But it seems the race to just make the league stunts these guys growth in other essential departments.
I don't have much sympathy for someone blowing millions of dollars. I don't think it's the league's responsibility.

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
I forgot who said it, but a former athlete said when you get drafted and start making money, you become the CEO. You become the boss, and that makes it difficult for someone “below” them to get in their ear. Not to mention if you’re fortunate enough to get drafted, you’ve been hearing about how great you were since elementary school. I think the only ones who can possibly get to an athlete are some OGs who have been in their shoes before, and even that isn’t guaranteed.

I know they have that rookie symposium for all incoming rookies, but maybe they need to change the approach so that they can reach most of these rooks.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
It is on them. They have ALL of the resources at their disposal, and simply refuse to use them. They have every pipeline for any type of business you which to pursue, so all that you have to do is walk through the already opened door. Look up Kevin Willis. He once said that the NBA has internship programs as well, and he would take those in the offseason, which helped him build his clothing company, through relationships and the know-how.