Who's job is it to prepare athletes for life after sports?

Who is responsible for preparing athletes after sports?

• The League

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Agents

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • The Player

Votes: 27 71.1%
  • All of the above

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
16 mil aint shyt if you living like you got 32 and will always have it. Not an excuse because its still on the individual but I think people fail to consider how easy it is to go broke and into debt when you have a lot of money. Its actually easier because you can get tricked into believing its limitless and act accordingly.
That's it 100%. These guys live beyond their means trying to keep up with the Joneses.

What's wrong with living a nice upper middle class life? It's hard to stunt on the next negro when you're driving a used 2010 Porsche Cayenne and living in a $500K house :mjpls:

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
I forgot who said it, but a former athlete said when you get drafted and start making money, you become the CEO. You become the boss, and that makes it difficult for someone “below” them to get in their ear. Not to mention if you’re fortunate enough to get drafted, you’ve been hearing about how great you were since elementary school. I think the only ones who can possibly get to an athlete are some OGs who have been in their shoes before, and even that isn’t guaranteed.

I know they have that rookie symposium for all incoming rookies, but maybe they need to change the approach so that they can reach most of these rooks.
Ain't the smposium where a former player was telling the rookies to have a fall guy to take their criminal charges? :dead:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Players gotta make it a priority. No one is gonna hand hold you. If the league is offering a talk/seminar, attend it. If you need to learn more about a subject, there’s a million free or affordable online courses. No one taught me how to handle my money, I asked people who seemed to be doing well or read up.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It’s a ridiculous notion that it’s anyone but the player’s job to figure out life after ball. Nobody’s employer owes it to them to prepare them for life AFTER they stop employing them. How does that even make sense?

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
They are grown enough to google wealth planner.

Only people who don’t wanna listen to people, do wild shyt and go broke will cry like Big Baby with his fitting ass name. Does anyone really think that the fool listened to any advice given to him? :mjgrin:

Are they trying to embarrass black men with shyt? “Hey look we need our employer to hold our hands when we quit, it’s unfair that they don’t” :dahell:

UnQuantized

Superstar
Daps
Around the time Golden State won their first chip, I read that Klay Thompson lives of his sponsership money and spends none of his salary. His father was in the NBA so he was probably taught well. Managing money if you are the first in your family to have it is tricky, even with help. The NBA can always do more but ultimately as another poster said, in the morning you are only the person thinking about your fortune so you have to take responsibility.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Around the time Golden State won their first chip, I read that Klay Thompson lives of his sponsership money and spends none of his salary. His father was in the NBA so he was probably taught well. Managing money if you are the first in your family to have it is tricky, even with help. The NBA can always do more but ultimately as another poster said, in the morning you are only the person thinking about your fortune so you have to take responsibility.
Its not even so much about being taught well as it is not having to support you whole family. People talk about dudes buying cars and tricking...which they do. But you got a lot of cats that are the first to make real money and they taking care of grandma, mama, siblings, cousins, friends etc. When you come from money this isnt an issue.

Not sure exactly what the league is supposed to do. They have the rookie symposium. Thats more than most folks that come into big money suddenly get and most of them probably sleep through it.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
The problem that many retired athletes have is the loss of a routine which they've had for the past 20-30 years. They know when training camp starts they know the the opening fixture of the season and they know the seasons ends. And everything else between they figure it out because its all short and medium term planning.

Many of the athletes are so use to being catered to outsourcing everyday things/tasks that regular people do and having others people run their lives telling them where to be and doing basic things like purchasing goods paying bills etc. That once they are no longer the pro and all those perks go away they are lost.