Why are atheists so overwhelmingly white and male?

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
I am religious but you should know atheism is heavy in East Asia as well, particularly China and Japan. Less so in S. Korea. I would bet the majority of atheists worldwide are East Asian.

Most of them are :yeshrug: about it though and not on some militant atheism like many in the West. Then again, monotheism is a minority view in those countries so they may feel less pressure to get buck.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
2 reasons, being an atheist in the black or Hispanic community is heavily frowned upon. Damn near every woman is going to say she wants a “God fearing man”. Thing is a woman won’t hold it against you if you simply don’t talk about religion but if she finds out you actively do not believe then it will be a huge red flag in dating.

2nd reason is because people who have been put in positions where they need others to help them out of a bad situation put more faith in there being an outside force that will someday help them. The further you get from oppression the less you will believe that a God controls your fate.

Last edited:

The Pledge

THE PRICE OF THE BRICK GOING UP!
Daps

Sauce Dab

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Because in times of distress, spirituality provides comfort.

White men are not put under the same kinds of pressures and distress that black people are.

Atheism is popular in East Asia too. The more higher developed the nation, the more comfortable the people and less blatant unfairness they witness. If you live in an Arab majority country you've likely witnessed people abusing their power and have been a victim of their abuse. So naturally Islam and Islamic fundamentalism is more popular there.

In Saudi Arabia where luxuries are everywhere, the "muslims" there are Islamic in culture only. They drink, cheat on their wives, hoard wealth instead of living modestly and giving their earnings to the less fortunate. They're essentially atheists too but are in a culture where it's not okay to admit that so they go on a pilgrimage once a year, go through the motions and then go right back to sliding into DMs promising to fly sex workers to them.

A large percentage of people who claim to believe in their religion of choice actually don't. The idea that someone like Donald Trump can claim to be religious is laughable. He's not going to admit to being an atheist but you're on thar narcotic if you think a philandering racist who never forgives anyone and never gives money and power to those who have less than him represents Christian values.
Yeah Trump is definitely atheist no doubt about it but you can’t say shyt like that and think you gone run for president. You’ll lose all the red votes

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I’m agnostic/atheist (is there a higher power? it’s a possibility but I don’t believe there’s an afterlife, I think that just makes people less afraid of dying to believe that) If there is something that has the power to create an entire fukking universe humans who claim to understand what that being want are stupid as fukk.

It’s delusional to remotely believe you’d understand how a higher being that can create a universe thinks. That’s why I find religious people to be off putting/dumb but all means I’d never get in their way of worshipping.

Just wish they’d understand the rest of us aren’t batshyt insane and we do not subscribe to their insane beliefs that they think they know how a higher being operates or what it wants

American Christians are pound for pound some of the worst people on this planet
I created a mini ecosystem similiar to this.
images

And i can confirm that my knowledge and understanding of life far exceeds the comprehension of any living thing in it.
I imagine for god it would be on that level times infinity.

Last edited:

Dwayne_Taylor

Superstar
Daps
Is there a divide between men and women? Or is it the same basically?
:yeshrug: My observation is that women lean more agnostic then men.
It's a little more accepted in the white community. If you are a black atheist you better not have business ties in the community that are aware of it.
This^ years ago I made the mistake of revealing my atheism to an office full of older black women. They immediately started treating me differently. Lol.

Last edited:

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
I see what you're saying but if you believe in a higher power whether your practicing/following rules or not. Then you're not atheist.
Which is what I mean when I see more POC and women believe in a higher power or spiritual then

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
some of the responses in this thread are borderline retarded especially coming from black people.. you worship a god that was enforced upon you by the white man, a religion and a book that that was institutional in dehumanizing and violating your ancestors, yet you still cling to these things..

i'm not even saying i'm against anyone practicing religion.. do what you think is best for you, but without understanding they whys or the hows behind it, you're just gonna end up being even more lost..