Why are black rap fans so threatened by white rappers?

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Supporter
Daps
It's always the same argument that black music will be white washed just like Rock N Roll was. If that was the case it would've happened a long time ago with Vanilla Ice, House Of Pain, Eminem, etc. Today in 2014 how many active white rappers are there? Eminem, Macklemore, Iggy, MGK, Mac Miller, Action Bronson, Yelawolf, Logic..... that's 8 mainstream rappers and out of those 8, Em, Mack, Iggy and Miller are the only ones who received real long lasting success. So what's the issue? Plenty of white rappers have come and failed or didn't last (Paul Wall, Asher Roth, Bubba Sparxx, Kreayshawn). So what is the problem? As a black man who likes to view things on both ends rather than one perspective, all this uproar is completely unnecessary. Hip-hop is a lot bigger today than Rock N Roll is. 10-20 years from now there will still be successful black rappers just like there were 10-20 years ago. Why do we constantly have to make something out of nothing? I can understand why Iggy's a bigger issue being that she fakes her black accent and doesn't write her lyrics, but truthfully she's no different than Rick Ross, Dr. Dre, and a lot of other artists. Only difference is, instead of faking their voices, they fake their entire lifestyles and backgrounds to get you to buy and accept their music.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
There are racists black people, but in general no one is threatened by white rappers.
They might just feel some way about the fact that it's easier for white people to get financial backing, radio backing, endorsements, grammy's, magazines etc.. Generalize that and it's easier to get anything from a cab to an apartment to a senior position to just live life.

However the few dumb and sadly uneducated ass racists are the ones that make it seem like it's about something else, people just want a fair game/system.

Last edited:

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just don't like their music. Em had a couple that I like but he aint really saying anything that's moving me. Not a racial thing though because 98% of the black rappers aren't saying anything that is moving me either and that includes Jay z, Kanye, etc. I'm from the 100's, Chitown. Even 100% of that garbage doesn't move me. Give me Nas, Common, Lupe, Scarface, A Tribe, Gangstarr and almost any old school rapper any day. I'll even take Your Old Droog, PRyme now.

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
Well iggy aint sell shyt and she nominated probably gon win

her album didn't sell, her singles did from what I understand. That Fancy shyt broke records right?

I'll state this again, coped the album and liked a few tracks - others sucked ass. She definitely shouldn't have won any awards but her commericial appeal cannot be discounted. Got guest appearances and movie cameo's off of it - it is what it is. White people who typically are the ones who buy albums see a white person doing hiphop (especially from a watered down commercially stand point) and they eat that shyt up.

White people don't want to listen to music and feel uncomfortable because its filled with drug, gang, and n-word references. I mean there's a few artists that transcend this such as NWA, 2Pac, Biggie, Jay - but artists like Eminem resonate more with them. Same with Will Smith (although not white) produced albumbs that were just more commerically appealing and acceptable across races.

Farrinto

Who's the best MCs? Biggie, Jay-Z, and Nas
Daps
Reppin
Philly
:snoop: So many generalizations in this thread. As a black rap fan, I don't care what color you are as long as the music is good. White rappers are just harder for me to get into.

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
:snoop: So many generalizations in this thread. As a black rap fan, I don't care what color you are as long as the music is good. White rappers are just harder for me to get into.

is it because they are white or the actual music.

when you can listen to music without the image of the person affecting your judgment then you are truly non-biased.