Why are people so obsessed with black people playing baseball.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We have more options these days.

1. Most of our sports idols play basketball or football. They get WAY more respect. Where as baseball, cac's crucified Barry Bonds and you NEVER hear about players like Tony Gwinn or Rickey Henderson. Baseball players also play until they are :flabbynsick:

2. In the NFL and NBA players get their biggest contracts and make the bulk of their money when they're in their 20's. Baseball you have to wait 6 or 7 years.

3. More endorsements in the NFL and NBA.

4. Young black males have a sneaker fetish.

5. NBA and NFL is more popular than MLB and black athletes dominate the sport and are getting money so they need to stop this tomfoonery debate every time they honor Jackie Robinson.

I hate when they try to say black kids don't play baseball because it's expensive with the equipment and all. Don't nobody give a shyt about no baseball.

1. You never hear about Alex English or Kellen Winslow either. How is getting paid millions until you are :flabbynsick: and beyond a bad thing? :wtf:

2. Both the NFL and NBA have put measures in place as to where a guy has to wait to get his money and they have caps. The ages where guys are in line for their big contracts are pretty comparable across the 3 sports. You can make more money for a longer period of time in baseball and it is all guaranteed. Money is the last thing you should be using to shyt on baseball breh.

3. Who needs endorsements if you are getting $200-$300 million guaranteed. A Lebron type baseball player would have no problem getting endorsements.

nike-air-griffey-max-1_2.jpg

5. Baseball is comfortable in it's position as number 3 sport in the country (behind pro and college FB).

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
:scusthov:
at the major league level it's such a cac stiff ass respect the game lookin ass game that it turns off Blacks..I can imagine a team full of a nikkas just showing out a fool..smoking dope in the bullpen. but of course every pitch would go to they heads and ESPN would be like "well that's part of the damn game"

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
They have and will bring more excitement, personality, & fukkery to the game
Baseball people don't want those things though. I strongly believe that the utter lack of any showing of personality and crazy "unwritten rules" turn many potential baseball-playing kids away.

The whole culture around it is stuffy and sometimes elistist, almost like golf. At least in America.

I think people coming from outside of the US don't see or play it the same way.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Baseball people don't want those things though. I strongly believe that the utter lack of any showing of personality and crazy "unwritten rules" turn many potential baseball-playing kids away.

The whole culture around it is stuffy and sometimes elistist, almost like golf. At least in America.

Nope. Its the fact that it can be boring, isn't as contingent on athletcism as the other sports, isn't really big in the hood, requires money and access, and has the longest, hardest road to the pros. They are doing their best to take the personality out of football and basketball too but guys aren't showing any less interest in playing those sports. Beyond that those cats from Latin America come over here wildin and if they are good enough it's :manny:.

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Nope. Its the fact that it can be boring, isn't as contingent on athletcism as the other sports, isn't really big in the hood, requires money and access, and has the longest, hardest road to the pros. They are doing their best to take the personality out of football and basketball too but guys aren't showing any less interest in playing those sports. Beyond that those cats from Latin America come over here wildin and if they are good enough it's :manny:.
That too. I didn't say mine was the only reason.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That too. I didn't say mine was the only reason.

I don't think you can put restraint on personality as a reason though. I mean you can get a TD called back in College Football and cats aren't changing their mind on that. You can get T'd up for looking at a nikka wrong and you can actually gets suspended for T's and cats aren't turning away from basketball. I don't think that if the MLB somehow turned into the baseball version of the XFL we would see a big time influx of black talent. The key is really getting a big star or two AND making it more accessible to those who don't have money like that.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

I Got Game
Daps
Reppin
Sovereignty
It's just not a popular inner city game. To play football or basketball all you need is a ball. You can find a hoop. To play baseball you not only need a ball, but you might need more than one, a bat, gloves. Couple that with the fact that baseball is boring as hell to watch on TV and it's easy to understand why black kids don't play it.

My HS's baseball coach was trying to get me to join the team. Something he saw in the way I threw a pass at basketball practice. I hit em with the :rudy: and went right back to running my suicides.

Frump

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

If youre a child or young teenager i can see that being an issue and needing more then just the game to entertain you but if youre a grown ass adult and you cant enjoy a sport unless athletes have "swag" and do endzone dances or whatever then its pretty sad[DOUBLEPOST=1397660315][/DOUBLEPOST]

Not needing athleticism in baseball is a huge farce the athletic aiblity it takes to have the reflexes handy eye coordination and reaction time to hit a baseball in the major leagues is off the charts

People judge athleticism on simply running and jumping which is ignorant

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not needing athleticism in baseball is a huge farce the athletic aiblity it takes to have the reflexes handy eye coordination and reaction time to hit a baseball in the major leagues is off the charts

People judge athleticism on simply running and jumping which is ignorant

Did I say it wasn't needed at all or did I make a comparison concerning the level or athleticism required between the sports? Of course it requires athletcism, just not as much as football or basketball.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
Uptown and the Bronx

I think the lack of personality stuff is overblown and no more apparent than in any other sport.

If "lack of personality" turns kids away, then it should be doing it everywhere because none of these sports minus basketball go out of their way to show individuality, and that's done at the expense of anyone giving a damn about the laundry.

The irony is that you tend to get clowned on if you come from a really good school.

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
If youre a child or young teenager i can see that being an issue and needing more then just the game to entertain you but if youre a grown ass adult and you cant enjoy a sport unless athletes have "swag" and do endzone dances or whatever then its pretty sad
Isn't that who were talking about though? It's not like people decide to play certain sports as adults.

Is it overblown, yes, but its something.